Wednesday, August 31, 2016

This Day in Indiana History - August 31, 1928 - Canned Tomato Juice First Marketed by Kemp Brothers Canning Company of Kokomoe



August 31, 1928 - Canned Tomato Juice First Marketed by Kemp Brothers Canning Company of Kokomo
Hotel by Chef Louis Perrin and headwaiter Dan Hughes at French Lick Springs in Orange County had developed the first tomato juice in 1917. After squeezing the tomatoes, the men discarded the pulp and seeds, then thickened the remaining juice.

Commercial canning had its start in Indiana when Gilbert C. Van Camp began canning fruits and vegetables in five-gallon tins in Indianapolis. In 1868, Van Camp began making smaller tins available. A local physician had requested that Kemp brothers develop a baby food that he could use to feed babies in his clinic in 1924. Canned tomato juice came out of this research four years later, on August 31, 1928.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

This Day in Indiana History - August 30, 1916 - Circle Theater Opened In Indianapolis

Circle Theater - Downtown Indianapolis
Circle Theater - Downtown Indianapolis


Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums
South East Edition



August 30, 1916 - Circle Theater Opened In Indianapolis
Local businessmen purchased a livery stable that stood on Monument Circle, tore it down and financed the new Circle Theater. Designed by architects Preston C. Rubush and Edgar O. Hunter, the theater was the first constructed in Indianapolis designed for the new motion pictures.
Preston C. Rubush and Edgar O. Hunter
Robush and Hunter was a prominent team of architects that designed many important structures in Indianapolis from 1905 to 1938. These buildings include:
Columbia Club, built 1925
Indiana School for the Deaf, built 1911
Indiana Theater,built 1927
The National Register of Historic Places lists many of the buildings designed by the duo.
Circle Theater
With a seating capacity of 2712, the Neo-Classical Revival design is a classic example of the era's great movie palaces.  In addition to the silent movies of the day, the theater also hosted live acting and musical productions. The Circle Theatre played the first movie with sound, Al Jolson's The Jazz Singer, in 1928. After a massive renovation, the Circle Theater became the home to the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra in 1982.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Lawrenceburg, Indiana

Lawrenceburg Clock and Chimes on Ohio River Waterfront
Lawrenceburg Clock and Chimes on Ohio River Waterfront

A Visit to Aurora and Lawrenceburg, Indiana
A Visit to Aurora and Lawrenceburg, Indiana
Lawrenceburg, Indiana
County - Dearborn
Area
Total - 5.0 sq mi (13.1 km2)
Land - 4.9 sq mi (12.7 km2)
Water - 0.1 sq mi (0.4 km2)  2.78%
Elevation - 479 ft (146 m)
Population (2000)
Total 4,685
Density 956.1/sq mi (369.2/km2)
Time zone EST (UTC-5)
ZIP code 47025
Area code(s) 812
 Lawrenceburg Short History
Surveyors William Vance, James Hamilton and Benjamin Chambers laid out the town of Lawrenceburg in April 1802. Vance had settled in the Cincinnati and became familiar with the best sites along the Ohio River. He decided that a site just west of the junction of the Miami River and the Ohio River would be an ideal site for a city.
Dearborn County
Dearborn County was organized on March 7, 1803, and officials chose Lawrenceburg as the county seat. Because of a political struggle with nearby Rising Sun, the county seat moved on September 26, 1836 to Wilmington where it remained until April 1, 1844, when Lawrenceburg again became the County Seat through an act of the Legislature on January 3, 1844. The Court House currently in use was built during the years of 1870 and 1871.
Samuel Vance (1770-1830)
The son of William Vance and Sarah Colville Vance, Samuel was native to Bath, Pennsylvania. He trained as a surveyor and migrated to Cincinnati, Ohio sometime before 1803. During that year married Mary Morris Lawrence, the granddaughter of General and Northwest Territory governor Arthur St. Clair.  The couple had nine children. Vance served under General Anthony Wayne in the Northwest Indian Wars and served on the board of the Indiana Canal Company at its formation in 1805. Vance also fought in the War of 1812. he settled permanently in Lawrenceburg in 1818. Vance purchased the land that would become Lawrenceburg at the Cincinnati Land Office. Vance surveyed the town of Lawrenceburg in April 1802, using his wife's maiden name to name the town.
Important Transportation Hub
The city was an important city early in the state's history due to its location on the Ohio River. It became an important railroad center as well, and two rail lines, the Central Railroad Co. of Indiana and the CSX Transportation Inc. still run through the city. Lawrenceburg also served as the southern terminus of the Whitewater Canal, built in the 1840's. The downtown area borders the shoreline of the Ohio River that you may see from the Levee Walk that is located at the end of Walnut Street. The Levee Walk is a part of the longer
Lawrenceburg Transportation
Lawrenceburg, Indiana has one major highway, US 50, connecting it with Aurora, Versailles, Seymour and Vincennes to the west and Cincinnati, Ohio to the east. Indiana State Road 1 connects Lawrenceburg with I-74 to the north.
For more information about shopping, dining and lodging in Lawrenceburg, contact the Dearborn County Visitor Center.

320 Walnut Street
Lawrenceburg, IN 47025
Phone: 812-537-0814
Toll Free: 800-322-8198
Fax: 812-537-0845
E-mail: dearborn@visitsoutheastindiana.com


Attractions
Dearborn Trails
Vance-Tousey House
Lawrenceburg Antique Gallery
Hickory Lakes Campground
Dearborn Highlands Arts Council
Dearborn County Historical Society
Ohio River Marinas in the Lawrenceburg and Aurora Indiana Areas
Dearborn Trails – Aurora – Lawrenceburg – Greendale Indiana
Argosy Casino And Hotel
Tri-State Antique Market
Lawrenceburg Speedway
Perfect North Slopes
Dearborn Competition Go-Kart Racing
Salatin’s Orchard


© Indiana Places 2016

Day in Indiana History - August 29, 1814 - Census Authorized by Territorial Assembly Shows 63,897

August 29, 1814 - Census Authorized by Territorial Assembly Shows 63,897
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums
South East Edition



The Northwest Ordinance of 1787 had established the Northwest Territory and established rudimentary boundaries between the five to seven proposed states that would be formed in the territory. Congress had decreed that when a region reached a population of 63,000 people, it could apply for statehood on an equal basis with existing states. Ohio had become a state in 1803, the first state formed in the Northwest Territory. Congress had created the Indiana Territory in 1800. William Henry Harrison had been appointed governor of the vast region, governing from the old French town of Vincennes. By 1811, the Indiana territory had reached 24,000. In December 1811, the Territorial assembly petitioned Congress for statehood, requesting that the population requirement be lowered.  On March 31, 1812, Congress, after studying the matter, recommended that the territory wait until the population reached 35,000. A census conducted was completed on August 29, 1814 showed a population of 63,897. The territory was ready to petition for Statehood.

Friday, August 26, 2016

This Day in Indiana History - August 26, 1838 - Governor Wallace Authorizes Potawatamie Removal

Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums
South East Edition
August 26, 1838 - Governor Wallace Authorizes Potawatamie Removal
Under the authority of the Indian Removal Act, Indiana Governor David Wallace authorized John Tipton to remove the Potawatamie tribe from Indiana. The Potawatomi Trail of Death followed the action.
Indian Removal Act
President Andrew Jackson signed the Indian Removal Act into law on May 28, 1830.  Using the law, Indiana Governor David Wallace authorized General John Tipton to use the militia to round up the Potawatomi tribe under Chief Menominee and force them from the state. The Indian Removal Act gave the President the authority to grant Amerindian tribes in the east lands in the lands west of the Mississippi River in exchange for their eastern lands. The law was meant primarily for the Cherokee in the southeast United States, but it was also used as a tool to remove other tribes, also.
John Tipton (August 14, 1786 – April 5, 1839)
John was born in Sevier County, Tennessee, where his father died in an Amerindian raid. He moved to Harrison County, Indiana in 1803 and married Martha Shields. He farmed and fought natives, leading a unit of the famed Yellow Jackets during the Battle of Tippecanoe. His next military experience was commanding Fort Vallonia as major during the War of 1812. He gained election to the Indiana State House of Representatives from 1819 to 1823. During this time, he was involved in the formation of Bartholomew County and its county seat, Columbus.
Indiana Governor David Wallace (April 24, 1799 – September 4, 1859)
The eldest of seven children of Andrew and Eleanor Wallace, Wallace was a native of Lewistown, Pennsylvania. The family moved first to Cincinnati, then to Brookville, Indiana in 1817. His father and Indiana Territorial Governor William Henry Harrison had become friends during the War of 1812. Harrison helped secure a berth for David in the United States Military Academy. He later attended West Point, from which he graduated in 1821. After graduation, he served as a second lieutenant at the school, where he taught math. After resigning around 1822, he returned to Brookville to study law. He gained admittance to the bar in 1823 and opened a practice in Brookville. During these years, he served in the Indiana militia, as lieutenant, captain, and finally colonel. His political career began with his election to the Indiana House of Representatives in 1828. The voters elected him lieutenant governor in 1831, serving under Governor Noah Noble. He was elected governor in 1837, an office he held until 1840.
Menominee (circa 1791 – April 15, 1841)
Historians know little of Chief Menominee's early life. Many think he was born in Wisconsin or northern Indiana. He became a religious leader of the Potawatomi, combining elements of Amerindian spirituality with Roman Catholicism. He signed various treaties with the Americans, ceding lands them. He refused to sign a treaty that would have deprived the Potawatomi of their final lands in Indiana. Many of the Potawatomi gathered at Menominee's village. Whites continued to encroach on his lands, leading to conflicts between the Potawatomi and the trespassers. Minor incidents occurred, resulting in the settlers appealing to Governor Wallace to protect them. Wallace authorized Tipton to use force to remove the Potawatomi.
Potawatomi Trail of Death
Tipton gathered a force of about 100 militia, surprised the Potawatomi at their village, and rounded them up. On September 4, the militia forced the 859 natives from their homes. The following march of 660 miles crossed Indiana, Illinois and Missouri. About forty-one Potawatomi died on the way, mostly of cholera from contaminated drinking water. Most of the victims were children. The Potawatomi crossed the Mississippi River into Missouri at Quincy, Illinois. They arrived at their destination of Osawatomie, Kansas on November 4, 1838. The refugees had no shelter, which the government had promised them, and little food.
For more information about the Potawatomi Trail of Death and their history, contact:
The Association maintains a Trail of Death Historic trail that travels the approximate route of the Potawatomi. A series of markers along the trail commemorate their journey.
This article excerpted from the author’s book:
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums North Central Edition

Thursday, August 25, 2016

This Day in Indiana History - August 25, 1795 - Northwest Territorial Assembly Adjourns - Maxwell's Code Becomes Law

Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums
South East Edition
August 25, 1795 - Northwest Territorial Assembly Adjourns - Maxwell's Code Becomes Law
Meeting in the town of Cincinnati, the Northwest Assembly revised and passed a series of laws for the newly created Northwest Territory that Northwest Territorial Governor Arthur St. Clair had compiled. The assembly passed the last of these laws on August 20, 1795 and adjourned on August 25.
Governor of Northwest Territory
President Washington appointed St. Claire as governor of the Northwest Territory in 1787. He would establish the Northwest Territory initially at Marietta, Ohio. Later the capital would move to Cincinnati, Ohio. He would serve as Territorial Governor of first the Northwest Territory, then the Ohio Territory until 1802.
Cincinnati 
Mathias Denman, Colonel Robert Patterson and Israel Ludlow established the settlement of Cincinnati in 1798 when they landed their boat on the north shore of the Ohio River. Surveyor John Filson called the town Losantiville when he platted the town. Governor Arthur St. Clair renamed the town "Cincinnati," when he moved the capital of the Northwest Territory to the town in 1790. St. Clair named it in honor of the Revolutionary War veteran group, Society of the Cincinnati, to which he belonged.
Maxwell's Code
From June 1795 until August 1795, the Assembly worked at the task of recreating a set of laws for the Northwest Territory that had been in force, but to which Congress had objected. When they finished their task, the Governor turned their work over to printer William Maxwell of Cincinnati to publish. The published work became the first book printed in Ohio and formed the basis of law in the Northwest Territory until Congress formed the Indiana Territory in 1800 from the western portion of the Northwest Territory. The laws became known as Maxwell's Code, deriving their name from the printer, William Maxwell.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

This Day in Indiana History - August 24, 1781 Lochry's Massacre - Near Aurora, Indiana

Lochry Massacre Site - Riverview Cemetery - Aurora Indiana
Lochry Massacre Site - Riverview Cemetery - Aurora Indiana

Archibald Lochry (April 15, 1733— August 24, 1781)
The son of Irish immigrants Jeremiah Loughery and Mary Murphy, Archibald was native to Octorarro Settlement, Ireland. The family migrated to York County, Pennsylvania sometime in the late 1730's. At maturity, Archibald became a powerful man, acquiring land and holding several political posts. He gained his first military experience during the latter stages of the French and Indian War when he enlisted on July 18, 1763.
A Visit to Aurora and Lawrenceburg, Indiana
A Visit to Aurora and Lawrenceburg, Indiana
Revolutionary War
In 1781, Lochry received an appointment to serve as colonel in the militia and given authority to recruit 200 men to launch attacks against the native tribes that were attacking the Pennsylvania frontier as part of the hostilities of the Revolutionary War. Since many were reluctant to leave their homes defenseless during a time of conflict, Lochry was only able to recruit 107 men. The company was ready to move by July 1781. Lochry had agreed to join an expedition led by General George Rogers Clark of Virginia on an expedition that was to move down the Ohio River and recruit men in Kentucky. From there they would either move against Fort Detroit or attack Delaware and Shawnee tribes deep in the heart of Indian country in current Indiana and Ohio. These tribes were harassing the Pennsylvania frontier.
The Campaign
Clark departed down the Ohio first from Wheeling. Initially, the two groups were to leave Wheeling together. However, Clark had a bad problem with desertion. His soldiers were reluctant to leave their homes for extended periods, leaving their families undefended, deserted in large numbers. This drove Clark to try to move further west faster than anticipated in the hopes of cutting down on desertions. Lochry arrived at Wheeling on August 8, only to find that Clark had already left. Lochry's men built boats and departed Wheeling after spending a few days building the boats they needed. While there, Lochry sent a canoe downstream with a message to Clark relating that they were low on supplies for both men, horses, and would follow Clark as soon as they could. This message did not reach General Clark. Forces led by George Girty and Chief Joseph Brandt intercepted the messages and began immediately to assemble a force to attack Lochry.
Lochry's Massacre
After departing Wheeling, Lochry kept his boats to the middle of the Ohio River to prevent attack from the shore. Girty and Brandt shadowed the force onshore as it made its way downriver. After several days of travel, Lochry had to go ashore to allow the horses to graze and obtain food for his men. They landed near the mouth of present day Laughery Creek. They killed a buffalo and prepared to cook it while the horses grazed. Meanwhile, danger gathered in the woodland surrounding them. The numbers Brandt and Girty had to attack are not certain, somewhere between 150 and 500 warriors attacked Lochry's force, catching them by surprise. In the short battle that followed, the natives forced Lochry to surrender. About thirty-seven died in the attack, including Lochry, who was reportedly tomahawked as he sat on a log after the surrender. The remainder of the prisoners were marched up trails by the Miami River. The natives ransomed some, killed some and adopted others. Only around twenty-five survived the attack.
Aftermath

Clark's proposed attack against Detroit died with Lochry's Massacre. Lacking the manpower to carry it out, he abandoned the plan. His capture of Vincennes in 1779 would not be repeated at Detroit.

A government clerk on the first documents misspelled the name ‘Laughery’, and the name has remained unchanged. Riverview Cemetery, the approximate location of the battle near Aurora, contains a monument to Lochry and his men, and a list of the soldiers who took part in the battle.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

This Day in Indiana History - August 23, 1949 - Actress Shelley Long Was Born In Fort Wayne

A Day in Indiana History - August
A Day in Indiana History - August
August 23, 1949 - Actress Shelley Long Was Born In Fort Wayne 
Shelley Long (August 23, 1949 - ?)
The daughter of Leland Long and Ivadine Williams long, Shelly is a native of Fort Wayne, Indiana. After attending elementary and high school in Fort Wayne area schools, she enrolled in Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois majoring in drama. She quit school to take minor parts in several television series before landing her role in the hit television series Cheers. She spent five years playing Diane Chambers, doing movies on the off-season. She left the show to pursue a movie career. These movies included Irreconcilable Differences, Outrageous Fortune and Hello Again. She later played Carol Brady in The Brady Bunch Movie and A Very Brady Sequel. Shelly continues to be involved in the movie and television industry.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Aurora, Indiana

View of Ohio River from Lesko Park, Aurora Indiana
View of Ohio River from Lesko Park, Aurora Indiana
A Visit to Aurora and Lawrenceburg, Indiana
A Visit to Aurora and Lawrenceburg, Indiana
Aurora, Indiana
Aurora is a southeastern Indiana town on the Ohio River. Located on US 50, Indiana State Roads 48, 56 and 350 begin their westward journey in Aurora. Indiana State Road 350 connects Aurora with Osgood, Indiana to the west. Indiana State Road 56 links it to Rising Sun, Indiana to the west.
History of Aurora
Platted in 1819, Aurora derives its name from the Roman Aurora, the goddess of dawn. Trustee Jesse L. Holman filed the plat on January 14, 1819. Cincinnati resident Charles Vattier purchased the land from the United States Government on September 18, 1804. Dearborn county residents purchased the land from Vattier in 1819. The plat marked 206 lots and six public squares. The first public auction of lots in Aurora took place on April 13, 1819. Aurora, Indiana has a history as an important river port on the Ohio River. The town saw some settlement as early as 1796. An engagement of the Revolutionary War took place on the banks of nearby Laughery Creek. On August 24, 1781 Chief Joseph Brant, a leader of the Mohawk Indians, intercepted Colonel Archibald Andrew Lochry near the site of what is now Aurora and massacred or captured the unit under Lochey's command. A memorial is located at River view Cemetery in Aurora.
River View Cemetery
Established in 1869 on the banks of Laughery Creek on the site of Lochrey’s Massacre, the thirty-acre cemetery includes a historical marking the massacre and contains the graves of over 13,000 people.  Located at the intersection of Indiana State Road 56 and East Laughery Road, the cemetery is a serene resting place.
Aurora Ferry
Shortly after the town's founding, Aurora granted a license to operate a ferry to Boone County, Kentucky to one Phillip Craig in 1819. Early ferries provided a much-needed link between Aurora and Kentucky, across the Ohio River. Horses walking on a treadmill provided power for a pair of side mounted paddle to the early ferries. The Aurora ferry would have horses providing power for the ferry until an ice gorge destroyed the ferry in 1918. The ferry operated until 1978 when the I-275 Bridge made it unprofitable.
Aurora Railroad Depot
The railroad depot was established on land originally settled by Scot John Gillis in the 1890's. Gills, a veteran of the American Revolution, constructed a two-room cabin on the site that the depot currently occupies. The Ohio & Mississippi Railroad Depot purchased the property in 1853. The first train departed for Cochran Indiana on April 4, 1854.
For more information about the history of Aurora, click this link.

The official Aurora website contains more history of the town as well as information regarding lodging, restaurants and shopping.
Aurora Website

Visitors can witness a variety of architectural styles in Aurora. These styles gave evidence of the town’s sporadic and sometimes rapid growth due to its prominence as both a busy port and later a railroad stop. The CSX railroad still maintains a line that passes through the town.
For more information about shopping, dining and lodging in Aurora, contact the Dearborn County Visitor Center.
Dearborn County Visitor Center
320 Walnut Street
Lawrenceburg, IN 47025
Phone: 812-537-0814
Toll Free: 800-322-8198
Fax: 812-537-0845
E-mail: dearborn@visitsoutheastindiana.com

Aurora Attractions
Ohio River Scenic Byway
Waterways Park
Aurora Post Office
Aurora Farmer's Fair
Aurora City Park - Aurora Pool
Dearborn County Country View Golf
Mary Stratton Park
A Road of Thunder" Riverboat Regatta
Aurora Walking Tour
Aurora Alley Tour
Stone Eagle Golf Club
Put A Round Miniature Golf
City of Spires Historical Museum and Foundation Inc.
Camp Shore Camp Ground
Veraestau Historic Mansion
Hillforest Historic Mansion
Lesko Park
Herman Leive House
Busse Farm
Aurora Marina And Campground
The Southeastern Indiana Art Guild
Dearborn Trails – Aurora – Lawrenceburg – Greendale Indiana
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning 2016

This Day in Indiana History - August 22, 1840 - The First Meeting of the Indiana Horticultural Society in Indianapolis

A Day in Indiana History - August
A Day in Indiana History - August
August 22, 1840 - The First Meeting of the Indiana Horticultural Society in Indianapolis
Inspired by famous minister, Henry Ward Beecher, the Indiana Horticultural Society meets in Indianapolis for the first time.
Henry Ward Beecher (June 24, 1813 – March 8, 1887) 
The son of Lyman Beecher and Roxana Foote, Henry was native to Litchfield, Connecticut. He was a brother to Harriet Beecher Stow, author of Uncle Tom's Cabin. He attended Mount Pleasant Classical Institute and Amherst College, graduating in 1834. He overcame a speech impediment to become a noted orator. After attending Lane Theological Seminary in Cincinnati, Ohio, Beecher entered the ministry. His first parish was in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. He arrived in Lawrenceburg on July 8, 1737. He would then move to Indianapolis, where he would remain for eight years. He was an avid gardener with a keen interest in agriculture. During his time in Indiana, he also became nationally noted for his abolitionist and women's suffrage views.
Indiana Horticultural Society
Begun in 1840 at the encouragement of Reverend Beecher, the first meeting was held on August 22. Farmers from around the state came to Indianapolis with their best produce to show and to become acquainted with new varieties and farm
ing methods. The Society lasted until 1847, when it dissolved, most likely because Beecher left Indiana. The Society revived under the name Indiana Pomological Society in 1860. Members of the group would rename it the Indiana Horticultural Society in 1863.

Friday, August 19, 2016

This Day in Indiana History - August 19, 1888 - Mary F. Thomas Dies - Richmond Physician

Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - East Central Edition
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums
East Central Edition
August 19, 1888 - Mary F. Thomas Dies - Richmond Physician
Mary F. Thomas (October 28, 1816 - August 19, 1888)
The daughter of Quakers Samuel and Mary Myers, Mary was native to Montgomery County, Maryland. While a young girl, the family lived in Washington DC. Her father took her to Congressional debates, igniting a lifelong interest in politics in the young girl. While in Washington, her father became active in the abolitionist movement. To escape the blemish of slavery, Samuel moved the family to a farm in New Lisbon, Ohio. She and her two sisters learned farm work and gained their education while their father tutored them in the evenings. In Lisbon She met, and married, Quaker Dr. Owen Thomas in 1839. The two would have three daughters.
Medical Training
Dr. Thomas took her to Wabash College in Indiana to study medicine. She would later attend medical lectures at the Penn's Medical College for Women in Philadelphia. She graduated from Penn in 1854 and moved to Fort Wayne Indiana to practice medicine. The family moved to Richmond, Indiana in 1856 and resided there the remainder of their lives.
Women's Suffrage 
While living in Lisbon, she attended a lecture given by women's suffrage advocate Lucretia Mott. She would later become active in the women's suffrage movement, serving as the president of the Indiana Woman’s Rights Association in 1859. She became the first woman to address the Indiana State Legislature when she presented a petition for a woman’s suffrage amendment to the Indiana Constitution. She was active in the Indiana Women’s Rights Association and would become the first female member of the State Medical Association.
Women's rights activists formed the Indiana Woman’s Rights Association in Richmond, Indiana in October 1851. Hannah Hiatt of Winchester served as president and Amanda Way as vice-president. The organization was active for a number of years, and then became inactive for about ten years. It reorganized as the Indiana Woman's Suffrage Association in 1869.
Civil War Years
During the Civil War, she Indiana Governor Morton sent her to transport medical supplies to the war front as part of the Sanitary Commission by steamboat. On her return to Indiana, she helped care for wounded Union troops. After the war, she became active with the Home for Friendless Women, a cause she would continue until her death on August 19, 1888.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Morgan's Civil War Raid in Dearborn County

Morgan's Civil War Raid in Dearborn County

Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - South East Edition
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums
South East Edition
Morgan's Raid in Dearborn County
John Hunt Morgan's raiding Confederate troops crossed the northern section of Dearborn County on July 13, 1863. There are four historical markers placed by the Historic Hoosier Hills organization along his route. Signs 21, 22, 23 and 24 are the eastern most signs in Indiana relating to the Raid.
Route Through Dearborn County
John Hunt Morgan and his troops entered Dearborn County on County Road 900N/Asche Road from its junction with Indiana State Road 101 south of Sunman, Indiana. The route continues east on Asche Road to its junction with Woliung Road just east of the small town of Weisburg. Woliung Road intersects Graf Road at a "T". Turn right on Graf Road and continue on it until you reach North Dearborn Road in the village of New Alsace. Turn right on North Dearborn Road to its intersection with Jamison Road. Turn left on Jamison Road. There are markers at the Old West Harrison School. From here Morgan left Indiana and entered Ohio.
John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail


For more information contact:
Dearborn County Visitor Center
320 Walnut Street
Lawrenceburg, IN 47025
Phone: 812-537-0814
Toll Free: 800-322-8198
Fax: 812-537-0845

This Day in Indiana History - August 18, 1838 - Beech Church for Negroes Opens - Carthage

Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - East Central Edition
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums
East Central Edition
August 18, 1838 - Beech Church for Negroes Opens - Carthage
Free blacks began filtering into Rush County, Indiana in the late 1820's from areas in North Carolina. Quakers from the same area had begun migrating into Indiana after 1817, drawn by the Free State status of the newly formed Indiana.
Quakers
Quakers, in an effort to escape the scourge of slavery, began migrating into the new state of Indiana in the 1820's, occupying mainly the central and eastern regions of the state. Their strong abolitionist stance led them to encourage free blacks to immigrate into the area. Most of these started arriving in the late 1820's. The community of Beech grew up because of this influx of free blacks.
Beech Settlement
The free black settlers purchased government lands and by 1830, the settlement consisted of ninety-one people, comprising fourteen families. The settlement drew its name from the large grove of beech trees that occupied the area. On July 18, 1832, members of the community held a meeting during which they formed the African Methodist Episcopal Church, believed by many historians to be the first AME in Indiana. During the meeting, the members pledged funds to acquire land and build a church. This church opened on August 18, 1838. The current church on the site was completed about 1865. Descendants of these early settlers still hold a reunion at the church in August each year. Indiana Landmarks has placed the church on its 10 Most Endangered Historic Sites in 2016 and is seeking funds to preserve the structure.
For information and to help save this historic structure contact:
Indiana Landmarks
1201 Central Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46202
800-450-4534
317-639-4534

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

This Day in Indiana History - August 17, 1940 - Wendell Willkie Accepted The Republican Presidential Nomination At Elwood

Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums
East Central Edition
August 17, 1940 - Wendell Willkie Accepted The Republican Presidential Nomination At Elwood
Successful lawyer and businessman Wendell Wilkie received the Republican nomination for President in 1940. He went on to a sound electoral defeat, even though his 22,000,000 votes were more than previous Republican candidates received were.
Wendell Wilkie (February 18, 1892 – October 8, 1944)
Wilkie was the son of Herman and Henrietta (Trisch) Wilkie of Elwood, Indiana. Henrietta and Herman were both lawyers, with Henrietta being one of the first women lawyers in Indiana. Wilkie's first name was Lewis; however, he always went by his middle name, Wendell.
Education
Wilkie attended Culver Military Academy after his parents enrolled him there. Wilkie had shown a rebellious streak and walked with a stoop. His parents hoped Culver would eliminate both. He excelled at the Military School and went on to Indiana University where he continued to excel. He almost did not receive his diploma after giving a speech critical of IU during his commencement speech in front of the Indiana State Supreme Court in attendance in 1916. The University did grant the diploma.
Military
After graduation, he joined his parent’s law firm. When World War I broke out, he enlisted in the United States Army. The Army installed him in artillery school and he did not reach the front until late in 1918. He saw no action and was discharged in 1919.
Business
Before enlisting in the military, he had married Rushville librarian Edith Wilk. After his discharge, he considered a run for Congress but was dissuaded because at that time he was a Democrat and would be running in a Republican district. His mother convinced him to enter business, so he applied to Firestone Tire and Rubber Company in Akron, Ohio in the legal office. He got the job, but soon grew bored and joined an Akron law firm. He gained a reputation as a great trial lawyer and representative in cases involving public utilities. New York-based Commonwealth & Southern Corporation offered him a job in 1929, which he took and moved to New York. He rose quickly in that position and became president of that company in 1934. As president of Commonwealth & Southern, he began tangling with newly elected Franklin Roosevelt over the Tennessee Valley Authority's role in building dams and generating electricity. Their ensuing legal battle consumed several years and one meeting between Wilkie and Roosevelt. Commonwealth & Southern eventually lost the lawsuit and was forced to sell some of its assets to the Federal Government, but Wilkie drove a hard bargain for the purchase. The resulting publicity for him was favorable.
Politics
Wilkie had been an active Democrat for most of his life. His activism even led to his introduction of Democratic presidential nominee, Ohio Governor James M. Cox to an Akron campaign event in 1920. He had been active in the 1932 Democratic convention, becoming a delegate for Roosevelt's biggest rival for the nomination, Newton D. Baker. During 1938 and 1939, talk circulated of a Wilkie run for the Presidency. Most felt that Roosevelt would still run, but his popularity was lagging. On the eve of the 1940, election unemployment was still over 15% and the economy still not improved after eight years of Roosevelt's New Deal programs. War loomed on the horizon, as Adolph Hitler was on the move in Europe and the Japanese active in the Pacific. Wilkie had entertained visions of the Presidency. But he knew if Roosevelt decided to run for an unprecedented third term, he would win the nomination. Convinced that Roosevelt was anti-business and knowing his road to the Presidency was through the Republican Party, he quietly switched party affiliation in late 1939.
Dark Horse Candidate
Wilkie did not enter any primaries. The primaries at this time did not elect delegates; they merely served as what were called "beauty contests" to establish a candidate’s level of support. The real work of nominating was done at the convention. The Republican convention was in Philadelphia. Wilkie arrived with great fanfare in June and took rooms at the Benjamin Franklin Hotel. It was from there that he ran his campaign. After a good deal of political backroom deals, Wilkie emerged the nominee on the sixth ballot. Wilkie had gone from successful lawyer, businessman and Democratic activist to becoming the Republican nominee for President of the United States in 1940.
The Campaign
Wilkie had wanted the campaign to be about the economy, which was still faltering despite eight years of Roosevelt’s policies. Roosevelt wanted the campaign to be about the emerging conflict in Europe. Roosevelt had supported policies that lent aid to Great Britain in its battle against the Nazis. Wilkie had initially supported those efforts, which had contributed to his gaining the Republican nomination. The majority of Republicans during this time were isolationists, in direct contravention to his stance. When his campaign began faltering late in 1940, he switched to a more isolationist stance, to appeal to the majority of Republicans. He promised to keep the nation out of war, stating that Roosevelt would enter the war. Roosevelt countered when Wilkie's campaign started gaining more support. On election eve, national polls showed Wilkie with a four-point deficit, but gaining. However, Roosevelt went on to win 449 electoral votes to Wilkie's 82. The popular vote had been closer, 27,000,000 to 22,000,000.
Post Election
Wilkie contacted with a gracious concession speech that led Roosevelt to say, "I'm happy I've won, but I'm sorry Wendell lost." Wilkie soon threw his war support behind Roosevelt and became instrumental in much of the war effort. He planned a visit to Britain and visited with Roosevelt just prior to his inauguration speech. During the meeting, Roosevelt asked him to be his unofficial representative to the British. His work to aid Roosevelt in the war effort led to trips to Ireland as well. On his return, he testified before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in favor of Roosevelt's Lend-Lease policy. He also led an effort to repeal the Neutrality Act passed in the 1930's. His support was so much needed by Roosevelt that he sought to include him in his administration. However, Wilkie wanted to maintain his independence and declined. He did consider a run again in 1944, but pulled out after a bad showing in early primaries. He died in 1944 of heart problems.
This article excerpted from the author’s book:
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - East Central Edition
For information about the attractions, lodging and dining in Madison County, contact:
Anderson/Madison County Visitors Bureau
6335 S. Scatterfield Road
Anderson, IN 46013
765-643-5633


Tuesday, August 16, 2016

This Day in Indiana History - August 16, 1838 - Swiss Mennonites Arrive - Adams County

Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - East Central Edition
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums
East Central Edition
August 16, 1838 - Swiss Mennonites Arrive - Adams County
Persecuted in their native lands, many members of the Mennonite Church left Europe to settle in the New World where they could find a new life. Mennonites from Germany and the Netherlands began immigrating into Pennslyvannia in 1683 at the encouragement of Quaker William Penn. By the late 1830's Mennonite communities began migrating into northeast Indiana from Ohio.
Mennonites
The Mennonites are followers of Menno Simons, a religious reformer that lived from 1496 – 1561 the Friesland region of the Low Countries. After training as a Catholic priest, Simons gradually became disenchanted with the Church, in 1536 renounced his priestly vows. He joined the Anabaptist movement.  He became an influential leader among that group, forming a distinct theology that eventually became the Mennonite religion. Their religious beliefs frequently put them at odds with the Catholics and Lutherans that dominated Germany and the Netherlands. Persecution of Mennonites in Switzerland, as well as all of Europe, was severe as authorities often imprisoned and even killed many of them. Refusal to recant their belief often meant forced impressment into the military or even drowning.
Amish in Indiana
Brothers Christian and Peter Baumgartner migrated from Wayne County, Ohio to Adams County, Indiana, arriving on August 16, 1838. The Amish community prospered and grew, thriving today across many counties in northern Indiana.
Swiss Heritage Village and Museum
The twenty-six acre village is the largest outdoor museum in northern Indiana. The museum seeks to preserve and interpret Mennonite culture in northern Indiana.
Swiss Heritage Village and Museum
1200 Swiss Way Box 88
Berne, IN
(260) 589-8007

Monday, August 15, 2016

This Day in Indiana History - August 15, 1934 - Country Music Star Bobby Helms Born

A Day in Indiana History - August
A Day in Indiana History - August
August 15, 1934 - Country Music Star Bobby Helms Born
Bobby Helms was a popular country music star of the 1950's and 1960, recording the hit songs My Special Angel and Jingle Bell Rock.
Robert Lee Helms (August 15, 1933 – June 19, 1997)
The son of Hildreth Esther Abram Helms and Fred Robert Helms, Bobby was native to Bloomington, Indiana. The Helms family was musically talented and Bobby singing with is brother Freddie. Bobby migrated to Nashville, Tennessee in 1956 and signed a contract with Decca Records. His first song, "Fraulein," rocketed to Number One on the country music chart and in the top 100 in Billboard in 1957. He followed this up with My Special Angel and Jingle Bell Rock the same year. Though he never again achieved the level of success of these songs, Helms continued performing and recording for three decades. The Rockabilly Hall of Fame inducted him for his musical contributions. For more about his music and career, visit his Rockabilly Hall of Fame link.
Helms lived near Martinsville, Indiana until his death in 1997.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

The Day in Indiana History - August 14, 1816 - Doddridge Chappel Near Fort Milton, Forms


A Day in Indiana History - August
August 14, 1816 - Doddridge Chappel Near Fort Milton, Forms
Emmigrants from Pennslyvannia led by Philip Doddridge migrated to the Wayne County area, arriving on April 8, 1814. The nineteen pioneers that arrived held a prayer meeting to give thanks for their safe arrival. The arrivals included nine adults and ten children, one of whom was born during the long, grueling wagon trip through the frontier.
Philip Doddridge (1737 - May 6, 1822)
The son of Joseph Doddridge and Mary Biggs, Phillip was native to Maryland. he married Mary Merricle Bickerstaff in 1767. The couple would have ten children. After arriving in Wayne County, Indiana the family established a farm. Phillip and his wife donated four acres of land to be used for the church and cemetary. Phillip was the first interred in the cemetary. The pioneers built a log church in 1816, which stood until they replaced it with a brick church in 1832. The congregation completed construction of the current church in 1876.
The National Register of Historic Places listed Doddridge Chapel on National Register of Historic Places September 28, 2003.

Friday, August 12, 2016

A Visit to Turkey Run State Park

Narrows Covered Bridge - Turkey Run State Park
Narrows Covered Bridge - Turkey Run State Park
A Visit to Turkey Run State Park
A Visit to Turkey Run State Park




A Visit to Turkey Run State Park
Turkey Run State Park
Established in 1916 during Indiana’s Centennial Year, Turkey Run State Park is the second state park established in Indiana. The state acquired the property from the Hoosier Veneer company for $40,000 after receiving a $20,000 grant from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Three Wonderful Bridges
Sugar Creek bisects the 2382 acres of rugged woodland terrain. A suspension bridge across the creek connects the developed south section with the wild north section of the park. Two covered bridges spanning the creek on opposite ends of Turkey Run provide scenic backdrops to many wonderful photographic opportunities in the park.
Richard Lieber Memorial
Visitors to Turkey Run will find the Richard Lieber Memorial east of Turkey Run Inn behind the Log Church. The Memorial contains the ashes of the founder of the Indiana State Park system, Richard Lieber. 
Richard Lieber Memorial
Richard Lieber Memorial
Turkey Run Picnic Shelters and Sites
Visitors will find several picnic shelters located in various locations around the park. Five of these shelters may be reserved for family reunions, weddings and other occasions. Several picnic sites and other first come, first serve facilities are scattered throughout the park.

Nature Center / Planetarium
Located at the main parking lot near the Big Log Shelter the Nature Center contains exhibits that depict the flora and fauna of Turkey Run State Park. The naturalists at the park frequently provide programs for both children and adults through out the year. For a schedule of State Park events, click this link.
http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/2389.htm
Fishing
Sugar Creek provides wonderful fishing opportunities along the trails and at the public access site for those with an Indiana fishing license.
Camping
The 213-site campground is equipped with flush toilets, hot water and showers. Most sites will accommodate trailers. No individual water or sewer hookups, but electricity is available. 
The Ladders Hiking Trail - Turkey Run State Park
The Ladders Hiking Trail - Turkey Run State Park
Hiking Trails
Hikers will find over fourteen miles of trails at Turkey Run State Park ranging in difficulty from moderate to rugged. The trails provide a wonderful hiking experience through the challenging Turkey Run terrain. Hikers may cross the Suspension Bridge, which affords a wonderful view of Sugar Creek, as well as scenic Narrows Covered Bridge. The Ladders Trail presents hikers with a unique experience as they clamber up a sheer rock face.
Turkey Run State Park Suspension Bridge
Turkey Run State Park Suspension Bridge

Turkey Run Inn and Restaurant
Overnight visitors may stay in the historic Turkey Run Inn and dine in the restaurant. The Turkey Run Inn has seventy-nine rooms, a heated pool, and a large, cozy sitting room with a fireplace. The rooms range from cabins to suites that include a Jacuzzi tub. Turkey Run has an indoor, heated pool connected to the inn, close to the Inn Cabins. The Inn pool is for Inn guests only. There is a public pool open to all visitors located elsewhere in the park. The inn also featured meeting and conference room facilities suitable for hosting seminars, receptions and other events.
Cabins, Inn Operated
Cabin sleeping rooms are located next to the Inn. Cabin buildings are divided into 4 private rooms with private entrances. Each room has two full-sized beds and a private bathroom. All cabin rooms have heat, air-conditioning, TV, telephone. Towels & bed linens are provided. Units do not have cooking, grilling, refrigeration or fireplace facilities.
Turkey Run Inn’s Narrows Restaurant
Turkey Run Inn
Turkey Run Inn

Open to the public, the Narrows offers families casual dining with good food and an excellent atmosphere. The brick walls and hardwood floor create a homey place to relax as you dine. The dining room is open 365 days a year, serving three meals daily. The Narrows offers buffet dining, homemade soups and a generous salad bar.
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - West Central Edition
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers &
 Museums - West Central Edition

Saddle Barn 
Many State Park Saddle Barns offer riding lessons, scout badges, gift certificates, birthday parties, corporate outings, campfire programs and other services. The Turkey Run Saddle Barn offers hayrides and guided horseback rides.
Tennis, Playgrounds and Sports Fields
The tennis courts are located near the swimming pool by the main parking area near the center of the park. There are open fields suitable for lawn games, soccer and other outdoor games near some of the picnic areas. The park features numerous playgrounds near the picnic areas.
For more information about Turkey Run State Park, contact:
Other Activities at the Park
Visitors will find a host of other activities at the park like picnicking, swimming, tennis and other outdoor sports. Turkey Run State Park is located in beautiful Parke County, which offers the largest concentration of covered bridges in Indiana, if not the nation. For more information, contact:
Located in the 1883 Train Depot
401 E. Ohio Street
Rockville, IN 47872

Turkey Run State Park
8121 E. Park Road
Marshall, IN 47859

(765) 597-2635
For more information about Turkey Run, the author's book, A Visit to Turkey Run State Park, will give the prospective visitor all the information they need to enjoy this wonderful park.


Available On:
Kindle
Kindle Softbound
Smashwords
Smashwords - 20% Free Sample
Barnes & Noble
Barnes & Noble - Softbound
Kobo
Google Play
Apple
Create Space - Softcover Book
Paul Wonning's Books on Amazon Page
Paul Wonning's Books on Smashwords Page
Paul Wonning's Books on Apple
Paul Wonning's Books on Kobo
Paul Wonning's Books on Barnes and Noble

© Mossy Feet Books 2016

August 12, 1889 - Zerna Sharp Born - Dick and Jane Reading Books Author

A Day in Indiana History - August
A Day in Indiana History - August
August 12, 1889 - Zerna Sharp Born - Dick and Jane Reading Books Author
Zerna Sharp (August 12, 1889 – June 17, 1981)
The daughter of Daughter of Charles Sharp and Charlotte Smith, Zerna was native to Hillisburg, Indiana in Clinton County. Sharp worked as an elementary school teacher and reading consultant for publishing company Scott Foresman & Company in Laporte, Indiana.
New Concept
Working with children teaching them to read led to her new concept in teaching reading. She believed that children could learn to read easier if they identified with the children in a story. She advanced her ideas to the Scott Foresman & Company. The company decided to use her concept and hired her as an editor to oversee production of the books that became the Dick and Jane books.
Publication
She did not actually write the books but used the services of illustrator Eleanor B. Campbell and several writers to produce the text. Zerna did name the characters and ensured that students only learned one new word per page with no story introducing more than five new words. The reading primers sold from 1927 to 1973. She retired from the company in 1964 and returned to Frankfort Indiana where she died on June 17, 1981.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

This Day in Indiana History - August 11, 1884 - Indiana Governor Maurice Clifford Townsend Born

A Day in Indiana History - August
August 11, 1884 - Indiana Governor Maurice Clifford Townsend Born
Maurice Clifford Townsend (August 11, 1884 – November 11, 1954) 
The son of David and Lydia Glancy Townsend, Maurice, or Clifford as he preferred to be called, was native to a farm on Blackford County, Indiana. He graduated from high school in 1901, and then worked as a teamster in the gas fields during the Gas Boom. Townsend enrolled in Marion College, graduating in 1907.
Early Years
During the years 1909 until 1919, he taught school and served as superintendent for several area schools. He gained elections to the Indiana House of Representatives in 1923, serving one term, then losing a bid for the United States House of Representatives.
Lieutenant Governor
He returned to teaching until Indiana Governor Paul V. McNutt helped him gain the nomination for Indiana lieutenant governor in 1933. He would serve as Lieutenant Governor until 1937, when he was elected governor of Indiana.
Governor
At the beginning of his term, the Flood of 1937 and a violent strike at General Motor tested his leadership. During the latter stages of his term, he signed bills approving a statewide driving test and a measure requiring school buses to be painted yellow. This law started a national trend. After his term, he served as directors of the Office of Agricultural War Relations, the Agricultural Conservation and Adjustment Administration, and the Food Production Administration. He retired in 1943 from Federal service to return to his Blackford County farm. He passed away on November 11, 1954 and is interred in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Hartford City, Indiana.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Day in Indiana History -August 10, 1818 - Randolph County Founded

Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - East Central Edition
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums
East Central Edition
August 10, 1818 - Randolph County Founded
Randolph County
Founded - 1818
Named for - Peyton Randolph
Seat - Winchester
Largest city - Winchester
Area - 453.31 sq mi (1,174 km2)
Population -  (2010) 26,171
The Indiana General Assembly created Randolph County on August 10, 1818, naming it for Peyton Randolph. The legislature took parts of Wayne County to form the new county.
Peyton Randolph (September 10, 1721 – October 22, 1775)
The son of Sir John Randolph and Susannah Beverley, Peyton was a native of Williamsburg, Virginia. He attended College of William & Mary, and then traveled to England to study law at Middle Temple at the Inns of Court. He became a member of the Virginia bar in 1743. He entered political and gained election to the Virginia House of Burgesses in 1748. Virginia voters selected him for the Continental Congress in 1774 and 1775. The Congress' delegates elected him president, or speaker, of both Congresses. He fell ill during both terms, returning each time. He died in Philadelphia in 1775.
Cities and towns
Farmland
Losantville
Lynn
Modoc
Parker City
Ridgeville
Saratoga
Union City
Winchester
Major Highways
U.S. Route 36
U.S. Route 35
U.S. Route 27
Indiana State Road 1
Indiana State Road 28
Indiana State Road 32
Indiana State Road 227
Historic Attractions
Winchester
Randolph County Historical Museum
Retter's Round Barn
Fudge Mound Site
Soldiers and Sailors Monument
Round Barns
Retter's Round Barn - Winchester
Bales' Round Barn - Lynn
Schwer's Round Barn - Parker City
Indian Mounds
Windsor Mound - Windsor
Fudge Mound Site - Winchester
Modoc
Marjorie Luellen Memorial Log Cabin
Farmland
Steubenville Ghost Town
Union City
Firefighter Museum
Historic Union City Arts Depot
Old Hotel Museum & Railroad Learning Center
Lynn
Lynn Historical Museum
Bales' Round Barn
Ridgeville
Ridgeville-Kitselman Museum
Indian Boundary Monument
Windsor
Windsor Mound
Parker City
Schwer's Round Barn
For dining, lodging and shopping information of Randolph County, contact:
Randolph County Convention and Visitors Bureau
123 W. Franklin St.
Suite 201
Winchester, IN 47394
For more information about East Central Indiana, see the authors book:
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - East Central Edition