Thursday, April 27, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 27, 1876 - Martin County Court House Burns

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 27, 1876 - Martin County Court House Burns
Martin County early in its history developed a reputation for changing its county seat frequently. The residents of the county petitioned the Indiana General Assembly eight times for a change in county seats. Finally, on July 4, 1871, the ninth county seat in Martin County opened for business in West Shoals. The Court House burned on April 27, 1876, creating a need for a new one. Since then the town of Shoals has encompassed the town of West Shoals, so the courthouse moved to a new town without having to be relocated. The old court house served as the county seat of government until 2002, when a new one replaced it. The building currently houses the Martin County Historical Museum. For information, contact:
Martin County Historical Society
Capital Ave
P.O. Box 564
Shoals, Indiana 47581
812-247-1133
historical@frontier.com

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 26, 1884 - The Great Wallace Show Begins - Peru

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 26, 1884 - The Great Wallace Show Begins - Peru
Benjamin E. Wallace opened his Wallace and Co.'s Great World Menagerie, Grand International Mardi Gras, Highway Holiday Hidalgo and Alliance of Novelties in Peru, Indiana on April 26, 1884. The show began with great fanfare, featuring a parade of exotic animals, top-notch performers and brass band.
Benjamin E. Wallace (October 4, 1847 - April 7, 1921)
A native of Johnstown, Pennsylvania, Benjamin was the son of Ephraim and Rebecca Wallace. Wallace migrated to Peru, Indiana and established a livery business there. He became interested in the circus business so he and a business partner, James Anderson, began assembling a collection of circus equipment. The largest complement of equipment came from a circus called the W. C. Coup Circus. This circus had become financially unstable and went bankrupt. Wallace traveled to Detroit and purchased much of the equipment, which included rail cars full of tents, poles, costuming and other equipment. From other circuses, he obtained many of the animals he would need for the act. He set up headquarters outside of Peru and billed his first show for April 26, 1884 in Peru.
Fire Strikes
On January 25, 1884, a fire from an overheated stove swept through the circus. The fire killed many of the animals. Monkeys, tigers, deer and other animals perished in the fire. Wallace persisted with the opening of the show. Until the damaged living quarters for the animals could be repaired, he kept many of the surviving animals in an abandoned chair factory on Second Street in Peru.
Opening Night
The Wallace and Co.'s Great World Menagerie, Grand International Mardi Gras, Highway Holiday Hidalgo and Alliance of Novelties in Peru opened on schedule, accompanied by the Peru brass band and over 5,000 spectators. Spectators packed the two performances, with many turned away. The show was a success. The season open, the circus went on tour, visiting many small towns in southern Indiana and Ohio. The tour also included towns in Kentucky and Virginia. Since there was no entertainment of any sort in most of these towns, people packed the shows. Wallace did not disappoint them as his retinue included some of the best performers and animals that were well trained and treated. The next year he shortened the name to The Great Wallace Show. He had winter quarters for the circus in Peru.
Hagenbeck-Wallace Circus
The circus continued for many years with increasing success. In 1907, Wallace purchased the Carl Hagenbeck Circus. He combined the two acts into the Hagenbeck-Wallace Circus, which continued operations until the Flood of 1913 damaged the circus and killed many of the animals. He sold the circus to a corporation that continued the circus as the American Circus Corporation before operations finally ceased in 1938.

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 25, 1898 - Governor James A. Mount Calls for Volunteers - Spanish American War

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 25, 1898 - Governor James A. Mount Calls for Volunteers - Spanish American War
When war broke out between the United States and Spain in 1898, President William McKinley issued a call for volunteers on April 22, 1898 to fight the war. Indiana Governor James A. Mount received the notification on April 25 the War Department wanted Indiana to supply four regiments of infantry and two batteries of light artillery.
Spanish American War
The Cuban War of Independence had begun in 1895 as the Cubans rebelled against Spanish repression. The Americans saw their conflict a century earlier mirrored in the Cuban revolt against Spain. American sentiment thus ran towards the Cuban revolutionaries. McKinley sought a peaceful resolution of the conflict and, by negotiation, managed to get a Cuban government installed. The island still teemed with unrest and riots erupted in Havana. McKinley sent the USS Maine into the harbor to protect United States interests. On February 15, 1898, a massive explosion rocked the harbor. Moments later the Maine sank, because of the explosion. When an investigation, concluded March 28, revealed that an external explosion had caused the ship's powder magazine, suspicion settled on the Spanish. Major newspapers began publicizing the incident and the United States soon developed war fever. Spain declared war on the United States on April 23. Congress declared war on Spain on April 25.
Indiana Responds
Governor Mount assured the President that Indiana's quota of troops would be filled within 24 hours. Mount issued a call to the state for volunteers to assemble at the Indiana State Fairgrounds, which had served as a recruiting and training camp during the Civil War. Indiana mustered Volunteer regiments 157 through 160. This number system continued the regimental numbers began during the Civil War. The state also organized the 27th and 28th Light Batteries. Enthusiasm in the state was so high that it was the first state to fulfill its quota of troops. On May 25, McKinley issued a call for more troops. The Indiana General Assembly had reorganized the Indiana National Guard in 1895, so the Guard was trained and ready to go. Indiana supplied over 7000 troops for the War; however, none went to battle. The war only lasted four months, Spain surrendering before the bulk of United States troops could be deployed. Seventy-three soldiers died of disease during the short war.
Hostilities between the two nations stopped on August 12, 1898 when Spain and the United States signed a Protocol of Peace. The peace treaty, ratified February 6, 1899 gave the United States the territories of Guam, Philippines, Puerto Rico and Guantánamo Bay on Cuba, which became a protectorate of the United States.

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Monday, April 24, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 24, 1844 - St Mary's College and Academy - Cornerstone First Building Laid

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 24, 1844 - St Mary's College and Academy - Cornerstone First Building Laid
The Bishop of Vincennes had sent priests and brothers of the Congregation of Holy Cross to northern Indiana in the early 1840's to found a university. The Congregation responded by founding the University of Notre Dame in 1842. The next year Notre Dame Founder Father Edward Sorin sent a request to Father Basil Anthony Moreau for sisters to come to northern Indiana to found a boarding school. In answer to the call, four Holy Cross sisters voyaged for forty days across the ocean from Le Mans, France. The sisters arrived in late May 1843. They established their school on April 24, 1844 in Bertrand, Michigan, just across the Indiana State Line. At this school, they taught orphan girls and ministered to the sick and poor. Mother Angela Gillespie, head of the school called Saint Mary's Academy, moved the school to its present site near Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana in 1855.

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Short Indiana Road Trips - Volume 2

Short Indiana Road Trips - Volume 2
Short Indiana Road Trips - Volume 2

Like Short Indiana Road Trips - Volume 1, Short Indiana Road Trips - Volume 2 serves as a guidebook for several short, one day road trips that Hoosiers can enjoy. The author has included fifteen destinations complete with contact information, photos and information about what the traveler might encounter.

These fabulous spots in Indiana will make an enjoyable destination for familes to learn and enjoy.


Available On:
Kindle
Amazon Softbound
Smashwords
Smashwords - 20% Free Sample
Barnes & Noble
Barnes & Noble - Softbound
Kobo
Google Play
Apple
Create Space - Softcover Book
Paul Wonning's Books on Amazon Page
Paul Wonning's Books on Smashwords Page
Paul Wonning's Books on Apple
Paul Wonning's Books on Kobo
Paul Wonning's Books on Barnes and Noble

© Paul R. Wonning 2017

Friday, April 21, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 21, 1884 - Hammond Indiana Incorporated

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 21, 1884 - Hammond Indiana Incorporated
County - Lake
Township - North
Settled - 1847
Incorporated - April 21, 1884
Named for - George H. Hammond
Area - 24.89 sq mi
Elevation - 577–610 ft
Population (2010) - 80,830
Located between the Grand Calumet River and Lake Michigan, Hammond, Indiana also borders the Little Calumet River and Lake George. I-90 bisects the city, which also has US 20, US 12, US 212 and US 41 pass through the city. Numerous rail lines criss-cross the city, connecting it with other cities in Indiana, Ohio and nearby Chicago. They also connect with the ports along Lake Michigan, offering access to the Atlantic Ocean via the St. Lawrence Seaway.
Hammond History
German farmers began settling the area in 1847 to take advantage of the rich black topsoil that ranges from a few inches to several feet thick. The original soil also consisted of a layer of fine sand that has been mostly removed for construction and industrial purposes. The proximity of a vast supply of fresh water from Lake Michigan encouraged the development of industry in the area. In the 1870, George H. Hammond established a meat packing plant in the area. Hammond pioneered using refrigerated train cars to transport the meat his slaughterhouse produced all over the country. The plant grew, by the 1880's it slaughtered over 100,000 cattle a year.
Incorporation
As the settlement grew, largely because of Hammond's meat packing operation, the population became large enough to become incorporated. It did so on April 21, 1884, taking the name Hammond, to honor the area's largest employer.

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 20, 1839 - Wabash and Erie Canal Opened to Logansport

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 20, 1839 - Wabash and Erie Canal Opened to Logansport
By autumn, 1838 workers had dug the channel for the Wabash and Erie Canal through to Logansport, Indiana. However, the official opening was not until the following spring on April 20, 1839.
Logansport
The 1818 Treaty with the Pottawatomie, signed by the Pottawatomie Tribe and Commissioners of the United States Governor Jonathon Jennings, Lewis Cass, and Benjamin Parke opened up the area that became Logansport. After the treaty signing, settlers began moving into the area. By 1828, the population was sufficient to form a county, which became called Cass County after Lewis Cass. The fertile land at the union of the Eel and Wabash Rivers was an ideal spot to begin a settlement. According to local lore, the new town received its name because of a shooting contest between Hugh McKeen, an early settler, and Colonel John B. Duret. The winner would get to choose the name of the new town. Duret won the contest and chose the name, Logan’s Port, naming if for an Amerindian scout for William Henry Harrison during the War of 1812 named Captain Logan.
Captain Logan (c. 1774 - November 25 1812)
Captain Logan (James Renick-Logan) served as a valuable scout for William Henry Harrison in the War of 1812. There are two versions about the origins of Captain Logan’s ancestry, one that he was half-Shawnee/half European and the other that he was full-blooded Shawnee. Harrison admired Captain Logan, and the scout gained fame in Indiana due to his exploits in the service of Harrison. Thus, when Logansport incorporated in 1838, it chose the name Logan’s Port, naming it for the new port the Wabash and Erie Canal provided and Captain Logan. The name became shortened to Logansport.
Transportation Hub
Logansport's location along the Wabash and Erie Canal provided a means for its early growth. The Michigan Road, which traveled from the Ohio River through Indianapolis to Michigan, also went through the town. Later, railroads provided a dependable means of transportation after the demise of the canal.
Historic Attractions in Logansport
Cass County Historical Museum
1004 East Market
Logansport, IN
574-753-3866
Dentzel Carousel
1208 Riverside
Logansport, IN
574-753-8725
For information on the lodging, dining, shopping and other attractions of Logansport, contact:

Cass County Visitor's Bureau
PO Box 281
311 S 5th St
Logansport IN
574.753.4856
info@visit-casscounty.com

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 19, 1816 - President James Madison Signs Enabling Act - Allows Indiana Territory to Form Constitution

indiana
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 19, 1816 - President James Madison Signs Enabling Act - Allows Indiana Territory to Form Constitution
On December 11, 1815, the Indiana Territorial Assembly sent a petition to Congress, requesting it be granted statehood. The Territorial representative in Congress presented the petition to select committees in the House and the Senate. Both committees returned a favorable verdict, and the Enabling Act went on for a floor vote. The United States House of Representatives voted in favor of admitting Indiana as a state on March 30, 1816. by a 108 - 3. The Senate passed the Act on April 13, 1816. President James Madison signed the bill on April 19, 1816. The Indiana Territorial Assembly was now free to write a constitution. The Act specified that the Convention should meet on June 10, 1816 to draft the Constitution that would lead to Statehood.

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 18, 1945 - Ernie Pyle Killed - Hoosier War Correspondent

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 18, 1945 - Ernie Pyle Killed - Hoosier War Correspondent
Ernie Pyle (August 3, 1900 – April 18, 1945)
The son of William Clyde Pyle and Maria Taylor, Ernie was a native of Dana, Indiana. He attended local schools at Dana, and then enlisted in the United States Navy Reserve during World War I. He served three months active duty before the war ended. After completing his reserve duties, he attended Indiana University, editing the Indiana Daily Student Newspaper. He also toured Asia with members of his fraternity. He left Indiana University before graduating to take a job with a newspaper in LaPorte, Indiana. After a few months in La Porte, he went to Washington, DC to report for The Washington Daily News. During this time, he met Geraldine "Jerry" Siebolds, whom he married in 1925.
From Editor to Columnist
Pyle worked several stints as editor for the Washington Daily News. In between editing jobs, he quit to travel across the United States with his wife. He came down with a severe case of the flu in 1932 and went to live in California for several months to recover. Upon his return, he took over as columnist for syndicated columnist Heywood Broun, who was on vacation. Pyle's eleven columns about his life in California were a hit with his colleagues and the public. The Scripps-Howard newspaper chain hired him to write a daily column in 1935. His writing encompassed ordinary people that he encountered in his travels across America.
War Correspondent
He continued this column until 1942. War had broken out and Pyle became a war correspondent. He continued his trait of writing about common people by eschewing covering generals. Instead, he wrote about the GI's that fought the war in the trenches and on the line. His everyman reporting won him a Pulitzer Prize in 1944. His columns were popular among the public and the soldiers he wrote about and his fame rose to a national level.
Death Under Fire
Pyle hit the beach with the Army's 305th Infantry Regiment of the 77th "Liberty Patch" Division on the small island of Iejima. During the landing, he had a premonition about his death. The troops secured their positions, and Pyle walked to have a chat with a regimental commanding officer. Too late, they found that they had not secured the position completely. A Japanese machine gun fired a burst of bullets. Pyle and the officer dove for cover. After a pause, the two men rose up to reconnoiter their position. A bullet from another machine gun burst caught Pyle above the temple, killing him instantly. He is interred at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu. The 77th Army Reserve Command issued a Purple Heart to Pyle, a rare occurrence for a civilian.
The Ernie Pyle Development Fund Inc. maintains a museum to Pyle in his home town of Dana, Indiana. Those interested in further information or visiting the museum may contact:
The Friends of Ernie Pyle
P.O. Box 345
Dana, IN  47847
765-665-3633

Ernie Pyle World War II Museum
120 W Briarwood Ave Dana,
IN 47847

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Monday, April 17, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - Joseph Albert Wright - Indiana Governor Born

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 17 - 1810 - Joseph Albert Wright - Indiana Governor Born
Joseph Albert Wright (April 17, 1810 - May 11, 1867)
Governor Term - December 5, 1849-January 12, 1857
The son of bricklayer John and his wife Rachel Seaman Wright, Joseph was a native of Washington, Pennsylvania. The family moved to Bloomington Indiana in 1820. His father was one of the workers employed to build the new Indiana State Seminary that later became Indiana University. His father died in 1824. Joseph worked at various jobs, including stints of his father's craft of bricklaying to pay for his schooling and to help the family's finances. He attended Indiana State Seminary, mainly because he could live at home, cutting the expenses of a college education. He earned money by selling fruits, nuts and other things he gathered from the forest surrounding Bloomington to his wealthier classmates.
Law, Then Politics
After graduating from the Seminary in 1829, he studied law with Judge Craven Hester, gaining admittance to the bar in 1829. He opened a law practice in Rockville, Indiana. He married Louisa Cook. Together they had one child. Sickness from malaria prevented her from having more children, so the couple adopted other children. He served two terms in the Indiana House of Representatives, prosecuting attorney, and then the Indiana Senate in 1839.
United States Congress
He served one term in the Indiana Senate, and then reopened his law office. He ran for Congress in 1843, winning a narrow election. His bid for re-election in 1845 went down to narrow defeat, as did another bid in 1847.
Governor
Wright was a Democrat, but opposed slavery. The Democratic Party chose him as its standard-bearer in the 1849 governor's race. His anti-slavery stance helped him gain election as Governor of Indiana in 1849. During his term, he ushered in Indiana's new Constitution and championed agriculture in the state. He signed legislation creating the State Board of Agriculture and supported the first Indiana State Fair in 1851. The new constitution took effect in 1851. Under the old constitution, a governor could only serve one term. The new constitution forbid serving consecutive terms. Wright decided to run again, a move opposed by his political foes as unconstitutional. However, it was decided that since his first term was under the old Constitution and his second term would be under the new one, he was eligible to serve. He went on to win a "second" term in 1852.
Senator
Wright and Senator Jesse D. Bright had been political foes during their political lives. Both Democrats, Wright opposed slavery, while Bright supported it. After Wright completed his second term, he deferred a chance to run for United States Senator in 1857against Bright under a promise that Bright would help Wright secure a cabinet post with new President James Buchanan. Instead, Bright recommended that Buchanan appoint him as envoy to Prussia. During Wright's tenure in Prussia, Bright had Wright removed from the Democratic Party. When the Civil War broke out in 1861, Wright returned to Indiana. Bright had written a letter to Confederate President Jefferson Davis promising support. The letter was intercepted and the United States Senate expelled Bright from the chamber. Indiana Governor Oliver Morton appointed Wright to fill Bright's term. Morton proceeded to confiscate Bright's property in Jeffersonville, Indiana for use as a military hospital. Bright, impoverished, moved to Kentucky where he served in various political posts until his death in 1875. President Lincoln named Wright again as ambassador of Prussia in 1863. He died in that post in 1867. His body is interred in New York City.

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Friday, April 14, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 14, 1927 - Indiana Limestone Corporation Founded - Bedford

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 14, 1927 - Indiana Limestone Corporation Founded - Bedford
Founded on April 14, 1927, the Indiana Limestone Corporation has grown to include ten quarries spread over six central Indiana counties. The quarries combine to cover over 4500 acres and have a 100-year supply of quality Indiana Limestone.
The Quarries of Indiana
Indiana's quarries produce rock known by many names, Indiana Limestone, Indiana Oolitic Limestone, Bedford Oolitic Limestone, and Bedford Rock. The limestone belt that produces this high quality stone encompasses most of Monroe and Lawrence Counties. Limestone of lesser quality underlies much of the rest of central and east central Indiana. Hoosiers began quarrying limestone during the middle of the Eighteenth Century. Indiana has been at the forefront of limestone production. Limestone from Indiana has been the preferred building material for many buildings from New York to Washington DC and other places. The Empire State Building has Indiana limestone as a major component of its structure.
Bedford
County - Lawrence
Area - 12.16 sq mi (30.8 km2)
Elevation - 686 ft (209 m)
Population (2010) - Total  - 13,413
Time zone - Eastern
Area code(s) – 812
Bedford is a city of just over 13,000 people at the intersection of Indiana State Road 37 and US 50. It has served as the county seat of Lawrence County since about 1825.  It is about ten miles north of Mitchell, Indiana.
For information about dining, shopping and lodging in Bedford, Indiana contact:
Lawrence County Visitors Center
533 West Main St
Mitchell, 3-1/2 miles from Spring Mill State Park
Monday - Friday: 8:30am-4:30pm
800-798-0769
Parts of this article excerpted from:
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - South Central Edition


Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 13, 1871 - Cornerstone Laid for the New Dearborn County Courthouse

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 13, 1871 - Cornerstone Laid for the New Dearborn County Courthouse
Dearborn County officials laid the cornerstone for a new courthouse at a festive ceremony on April 13, 1871. The new courthouse would replace the first one, built in 1810, that had been gutted by a fire.
The First Court House
Built in 1810, the first Dearborn County Court House was a two-story brick structure that mimicked the standard courthouse design of that period. It had a hip roof and octagonal cupola. This courthouse burned on March 26, 1826. Only the brick shell remained.
The "Second" Court House
Most of the county records burned in the fire so county officials asked Dearborn County residents to bring their deeds and other public records to Lawrenceburg to copy them by hand into the records. County commissioners decided not to build a new structure. They decided to use the exterior walls to house the building, constructing a new interior within the burned out walls. This building opened in 1828. The commissions authorized two annex buildings nearby to house the county clerk and the treasurer.
The New Court House
By 1870, Dearborn County needed a new courthouse. The needs of the county had outgrown the capacity of the old courthouse. The commissioners inspected several Indiana courthouses and decided they liked the Floyd County courthouse the best. The contacted the architect that designed it, George H. Kyle to build the new one. Mr. Kyle, a Virginia native living in Vevay since about 1840, had designed other courthouses and had built up an excellent reputation. He drew up plans that the commissioners accepted on June 15, 1870.
Cornerstone Ceremonies
The cornerstone laying ceremony took place on April 13, 1871 and included guest speaker Louis Jordan. County officials included a time capsule in the cornerstone in which they secreted many items from the period. These included  histories of the Masons, Odd Fellows, Druids, and Good Templar as well as Lawrenceburg religious societies. They also inserted other historic documents, continental money and old coins from the Revolution.
Completion of the Court House
Workers completed construction in 1873. During the three years construction the Odd Fellows Hall served as the temporary Court House. The building cost $135,775.00 to build. A three-story building included city hall offices and a public opera house. The magnificent courtroom occupied the back half of the second floor.

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 12, 1985- Green Hills Donald E. Williams Makes His First Space Shuttle Flight

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 12, 1985- Green Hills  Donald E. Williams Makes His First Space Shuttle Flight
On April 12, 1985, Astronaut Donald Williams logged his first flight aboard the space shuttle Discovery.
The son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert E. Williams, Donald is a native of Green Hills, Indiana. After graduating from Otterbein High School in 1960, Williams attended Purdue University, graduating in 1964 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Military Career
While at Purdue, he enrolled in the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC), receiving a commission as an officer. After graduation, Williams received his Naval Aviator wings in May 1966 after completing flight schools at  Pensacola, Florida, Meridian, Mississippi and Kingsville, Texas. Upon receiving his wings, he served two deployments during the Vietnam War aboard the  USS Enterprise. During his war service, he logged over 330 combat missions. His flight time included  5,700 hours in jets and 745 carrier landings.
NASA
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) selected him for astronaut training in 1978. He completed training in 1979. Before his first shuttle flight, Williams served in various administrative capacities at Johnson Space Center.
Shuttle Discovery Flight
NASA selected him to serve as pilot for the shuttle flight STS-51D. This was Discovery's fourth flight and the sixteenth overall shuttle mission. The flight launched on April 12, 1985. During the mission, the crew launched two satellites,  the ANIK-C for Telesat of Canada, and Syncom IV-3 for the U.S. Navy. The crew also conducted several medical experiments and filmed experiments with toys in space. The flight completed 168 hours of orbital operations, and 109 orbits of the earth before landing on Runway 33 at the Kennedy Space Center on April 19, 1985.
Williams would complete one other flight, on the Space Shuttle Atlantis on a five-day mission in October 1989.

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 11, 1831 - Steamboat General Robert Hanna Reaches Indianapolis

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 11, 1831 - Steamboat General Robert Hanna Reaches Indianapolis
The key to a city's growth and prosperity is ease of transportation. The newly established city of Indianapolis was no different. In 1820, when Indianapolis became the state capitol, the railroads had not yet been developed. The canals were still in the future and roads poor and uncertain. The city needed a navigable river. But the city had a problem. The White River that bounded the city was not navigable. At least in reality, not in law. In 1820, the legislature passed a law that deemed it navigable. This is just one other example of law that is not reality.
The State of the River
The White River is too shallow, has too many low hanging branches and sand bars for a steamboat to traverse its waters. Only the smallest of watercraft could navigate the river from the Wabash to central Indiana.
Inducements to River Boats
The legislature commissioned surveyor Alexander Ralston to study the river to see if it was navigable. Ralston surveyed the river and returned with his report. For $1500 per year, the state could make it navigable. But boats could only use it for about three months out of the year. As inducement, Noah Noble, future Indiana Governor from 1831 - 1837, offered inducements to riverboat captains to make the journey. In 1830, he pledged a $200 reward to any captain that could bring a riverboat to Indianapolis via the White River. Rumors circulated from time to time that some boat nearly made it.
Success and Then...
Finally, on April 11, 1831 Robert Hanna arrived in Indianapolis from Cincinnati via the Ohio, Wabash and White Rivers. In addition to the load of stone he carried in the boat, he had a tethered, loaded keelboat behind it. Upon his arrival, the citizens of the city went into a frenzy of celebration. The citizens arranged a banquet to Hanna and his crew to celebrate. Hanna, in a hurry to get back down the river while the water was still high enough to navigate the river, declined. His hopes were dashed when the boat ran aground on a sand bar, where it remained stuck for six weeks. As far as anyone knows, no other attempts were made.

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Monday, April 10, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 10, 1818 - Monroe County Formed

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 10, 1818 - Monroe County Formed
Named for - James Monroe
Seat - Bloomington
Largest city - Bloomington
Area - 411.32 sq mi
Population - (2010) - 137,974
The Indiana General Assembly formed Monroe County from portions of Orange County on April 8, 1818. They named the county for James Madison.
James Monroe (April 28, 1758 – July 4, 1831)
The fifth President of the United States, Monroe was a native of Virginia. He served in the 3rd Virginia Regiment as an officer during the Revolutionary War, the last President who was a Revolutionary War veteran and the last Founding Father to serve as President. He was wounded at the Battle of Trenton. After the war, he opposed the ratification of the Constitution on the grounds that it gave too much power to the Federal Government. He worked to support the Constitution after passage, becoming the fifth President in 1817.
Cities and Towns in Monroe County
Bloomington
Ellettsville
Stinesville
New Unionville
Smithville
Major Highways
I-69
Indiana 37.svg Indiana State Road 37
Indiana 45.svg Indiana State Road 45
Indiana 46.svg Indiana State Road 46
Indiana 48.svg Indiana State Road 48
Indiana 446.svg Indiana State Road 446

Historical Attractions
Farmer House
Hinkle-Garton Farmstead
IU Office of University Archives
The Lilly Library
Mathers Museum of World Cultures
Monroe County History Center
Wylie House Museum
SCIENCE / NATURE
Glenn Black Laboratory of Archeology
Indiana Geological Survey
WonderLab Museum of Science,
Health & Technology

Auto Tours
Indiana Limestone Heritage Trail

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Friday, April 7, 2017

Indiana History Story a Day – April

An Indiana History Story a Day – April
An Indiana History Story a Day – April

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. An Indiana History Story a Day – April like the Indiana Bicentennial History Series that preceded it, presents Indiana history in an easy to read “this day in history format” The thirty-one stories in the April edition include:
April 3, 1926 – Virgil I. Grissom Born
April 05, 1945 - Freeman Field Mutiny
April 15, 1860 - Alexander McClure Discovered in Shipping Crate
April 22, 1913 - First Appearance of Roger Bean - Chic Jackson
April 29, 1896 - Dan Patch Foaled in a Barn near Oxford, Indiana


Available On:
Kindle
Amazon Softbound
Smashwords
Smashwords - 20% Free Sample
Barnes & Noble
Barnes & Noble - Softbound
Kobo
Google Play
Apple
.Create Space - Softcover Book
Paul Wonning's Books on Amazon Page
Paul Wonning's Books on Smashwords Page
Paul Wonning's Books on Apple
Paul Wonning's Books on Kobo
Paul Wonning's Books on Barnes and Noble

© Paul R. Wonning 2017


Hoosier Dusty Files - April 7, 1807 - Indiana Rangers Began Patrols From Fort Vallonia

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 7, 1807 - Indiana Rangers Began Patrols From Fort Vallonia
Constructed in 1812 to protect settlers in the area, Fort Vallonia occupied a site next to an old Indian trail. Major John Tipton and his Indiana Rangers occupied the fort in 1813.
Fort Vallonia
Of the two companies of Indiana Rangers stationed at Fort Vallonia, one was newly formed and untrained. This company went out to the vicinity of Brownstown, Indiana to investigate some reports of Amerindian activity. Finding nothing, they began their return to the fort. During their return, a band of warriors ambushed Robert Sturgeon, who had ridden on ahead of the company. The untrained rangers took flight, leaving Sturgeon to fend for himself. The natives killed him and left his body. Five men from the town eventually retrieved his body and buried him near the fort. John Tipton visited the fort and heard of the incident. He immediately took command of the fort and trained the Rangers. During later actions at the Battle of Tipton's Island and other skirmishes, the Rangers comported themselves well.
John Tipton (August 14, 1786 – April 5, 1839)
John was born in Sevier County, Tennessee, where his father died in an Amerindian raid. He moved to Harrison County, Indiana in 1803 and married Martha Shields. He farmed and fought natives, leading a unit of the famed Yellow Jackets during the Battle of Tippecanoe. His next military experience was commanding Fort Vallonia as major during the War of 1812. He gained election to the Indiana State House of Representatives from 1819 to 1823. During this time, he was involved in the formation of Bartholomew County and its county seat, Columbus.
Indiana Rangers
William Henry Harrison formed the Rangers in 1807 in response to a raid along the Vincennes Trace. In one of these raids, a settler was killed and his family abducted. The Rangers initially patrolled three areas. Captain William Hargrove's 1st Division patrolled the area between French Lick, Indiana and the Ohio River. The Second Division maintained a base along the Vincennes Trace at Cuzco, Indiana near the Patoka River. The Third Division patrolled the area near Lawrenceburg, Indiana on the Ohio River. During the War of 1812, Harrison used the Rangers to augment the regular army troops. At first, the Rangers patrolled on foot, but later were mounted. The Rangers received $1 per day and had to provide their own weapons and supplies. Harrison deactivated the Rangers in 1809, but reactivated them in 1812. The Indiana Rangers served as the inspiration for the more famous Texas Rangers. The 151st Infantry Regiment of the Indiana National Guard traces is lineage to the Indiana Rangers.
Vallonia, Indiana has recreated the stockade that existed during the War of 1812. The community maintains a museum on the site and each year celebrates its pioneer heritage with Fort Vallonia Days. For more information:
Fort Valonia Days

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 6, 1934 - Legislature Approves Act Allowing Purchase of Land for Hoosier National Forest

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 6, 1934 - Legislature Approves Act Allowing Purchase of Land for Hoosier National Forest
The forested hills of south central Indiana were never ideal farmland. They did contain some of the world's finest hardwoods. The development of the steam powered sawmill in the middle of the Nineteenth Century allowed large-scale timber cutting. Sawmill operators cleared the hills of the trees, and then sold the land to farmers. Eventually the farmers abandoned the land. The Hoosier National Forest was created to replenish this abandoned land.
The Knobs
A geologic feature called the Knobstone Escarpment dominates south central Indiana. The knobs include some of Indiana's most rugged terrain. It stretches from Brown County State Park in the north to the Ohio River. Elevations range from 360 feet near the mouth of the Wabash River to Weed Patch Hill, which has an elevation of 1,056 feet above sea level. This hill is in Brown County State Park and is the third highest area in Indiana. These steep hills also contained some of the world’s finest hardwoods. When the steam powered sawmills came into use, loggers set to work.
Steam Powered Sawmills
Prior to steam powered mills, sawing lumber was a labor-intensive affair. If suitable waterpower was available water powered mills could cut logs into lumber. A water powered sawmill still operates at Spring Mill State Park during the summer months. Other sawing methods included the pit saw. To cut lumber with a pit saw, the sawyers first hewed a log square with a broad axe, and then placed the hewn log over a pit. Two men then sawed planks from the hewn log using a crosscut saw. One man stood in the pit pulling the saw down while another man stood on top, pulling the saw up. The men used a chalked line as a guide to keep the plank to the desired thickness. Portable steam powered sawmills came into use during the middle part of the Eighteenth Century. These saws could use the waste wood as fuel to fire the boiler that powered the saw. With the advent of these saws, loggers could, and did, log vast quantities of timber.
Clearing the Land
By 1860, loggers had begun the work of converting the trees to lumber. Thousands of sawmills operated in southern Indiana and by 1900 the state led the nation in lumber production. Loggers first cut the best hardwoods. These were walnut, oak, black cherry and tulip poplar. In the next step, the logger cut the less desirable species, and then burned the land off to finish clearing it. Cleared land sold for about a dollar an acre. Farmers bought this land to farm.
Farming, then Abandonment
However, the steep hills were not suitable for farming. Then crop prices dropped. The farm population in south central Indiana peaked around 1890 then began a slow, steady decline. The Great Depression in 1929 finished most of the remaining farmers off. Many simply just walked away from the land. Rains began eroding the cleared hills. Counties could not collect taxes on the abandoned land.
The Hoosier National Forest
Indiana Governor Paul McNutt and the Indiana General Assembly stepped in to try to salvage something from what had become an environmental and economic disaster. On April 6, 1934 they passed:
"An Act to empower the United States of America to acquire lands in the State of Indiana by purchase or otherwise, for establishing, consolidating, and extending national forests, and to grant to the United States all rights necessary for proper control and administration of lands so acquired, and legalizing certain acts and proceedings connected therewith."
Thus, the Hoosier National Forest sprang into life. The Forest Service purchased the first parcels in 1935. The first tasks for the Forest Service were to stop the erosion, rehabilitate the land and take steps to control the wildfires. Reforestation of the hills and building facilities provided jobs during the Depression era and recreated the vast forests of southern Indiana we see today.
Hoosier National Forest

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 5, 1830 - Land Purchased to Establish Hope, Indiana

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 5, 1830 - Land Purchased to Establish Hope, Indiana
The dream of establishing a purely Moravian church community motivated Reverend Martin Hauser and his family to leave Salem, North Carolina in late 1829 and move to the Indiana frontier. A few friends and family members accompanied the Hauser family. Members of the Provincial Helpers Conference of the Moravian Church in Salem had promised to provide Hauser with the funds to purchase land to establish a Moravian town and church in Indiana after he had proved his intentions worthy by building a cabin. He, his brother and several others left Salem on September 28, 1829. After a month's travel the  band reached Columbus, Indiana.
Building the Cabin
Bitter weather and sickness delayed Martin delayed the cabin's completion until early March. Hauser mailed a letter to the Moravians in North Carolina that his cabin was complete and he was ready to establish the town. The money slated for the purchase of the land arrived in early April and on April 5, 1830 he sent a messenger to Indianapolis to purchase the land.
Goshen, then Hope
The setters established the town, calling it Goshen. When the town applied for a post office in 1834, they changed the name to Hope because Indiana already had a town named Goshen.
Moravian Church
The Moravians are one of the oldest Protestant Christian churches in the world, dating from about 1457 in Bohemia. Reformer Jan Hus disagreed with several practices in the Catholic Church and started the Hussite movement that evolved into the Moravian Church.  In 1722 members of the church fled to Saxony to escape religious persecution. They established a settlement in Germany called Herrnhut. From this village the Moravians started the first international missionary movment, establihing settlements in many countries.
Hope, Indiana is located on Indiana State Road 9 about seven miles north of its intersection with Indiana State Road 46. The town is northeast of Columbus, Indiana. For more information about the town's history, events, dining, shopping and attractions visit:
Visitor Information Center
645 Harrison Street
Hope, In 47246-1203
812-546-7038

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 04, 1922 - Purdue University Broadcasting License Accepted

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 04, 1922 - Purdue University Broadcasting License Accepted
Experiments in radio broadcasting began at Purdue University around 1910. Work on the new medium continued with the addition of new radio equipment in 1920 and the opening of a radio class later that year. On April 4, 1922, the broadcast license for WBAA was granted. The Purdue radio station is the oldest continuously operating radio station in Indiana. The current 5,000 watt signal reaches a potential 2.5 million people.

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning

Monday, April 3, 2017

Hoosier Dusty Files - April 3, 1847 - United Brethren Church Vote to Establish Hartsville College

A Year of Indiana History - 2016
A Year of Indiana History - 2016

April 3, 1847 - United Brethren Church Vote to Establish Hartsville College
Voters of Haw Creek Township voted to establish a college in Hartsville on April 3, 1847 and commenced building the structure. The United Brethern Church had designs of establishing a college in the area when it heard of the new college. The voters transferred ownership of the college to the church in 1848. the church finished the structure. the Indiana Legislature chartered it as Hartsville College on January 12, 1850. The Assembly changed this designation to "University" on February 8, 1851. In March 5, 1883 they changed the designation back to college.. Central College in Huntington, Indiana absorbed the university on July 15, 1897. The building burned on July 15, 1897, possibly the result of arson.
Hartsville, Indiana
Gideon B. Hart founded Hartsville in 1832. The town recieved a post office in 1838. Milton Wright, father of Orville and Wilbur Wright, served as the pastor of the Hartsville Church of the United Brethre from 1859 through 1869. He was the professor of theology at Hartsville College from 1868 througj 1869. During this time Orville and Wilbur attended Hartsville College.

Indiana possesses a rich history that is fun to read and learn. This Hoosier Dusty Files is in an easy to read “this day in history format” and includes articles from the author's A Year in Indiana History series. Visitors may read the articles as they appear or purchase the book:
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
Facebook
@indianatreker
@MossyFeetBooks
Twitter
@MossyFeetBooks
© Paul Wonning