Monday, August 29, 2016

Lawrenceburg, Indiana

Lawrenceburg Clock and Chimes on Ohio River Waterfront
Lawrenceburg Clock and Chimes on Ohio River Waterfront

A Visit to Aurora and Lawrenceburg, Indiana
A Visit to Aurora and Lawrenceburg, Indiana
Lawrenceburg, Indiana
County - Dearborn
Area
Total - 5.0 sq mi (13.1 km2)
Land - 4.9 sq mi (12.7 km2)
Water - 0.1 sq mi (0.4 km2)  2.78%
Elevation - 479 ft (146 m)
Population (2000)
Total 4,685
Density 956.1/sq mi (369.2/km2)
Time zone EST (UTC-5)
ZIP code 47025
Area code(s) 812
 Lawrenceburg Short History
Surveyors William Vance, James Hamilton and Benjamin Chambers laid out the town of Lawrenceburg in April 1802. Vance had settled in the Cincinnati and became familiar with the best sites along the Ohio River. He decided that a site just west of the junction of the Miami River and the Ohio River would be an ideal site for a city.
Dearborn County
Dearborn County was organized on March 7, 1803, and officials chose Lawrenceburg as the county seat. Because of a political struggle with nearby Rising Sun, the county seat moved on September 26, 1836 to Wilmington where it remained until April 1, 1844, when Lawrenceburg again became the County Seat through an act of the Legislature on January 3, 1844. The Court House currently in use was built during the years of 1870 and 1871.
Samuel Vance (1770-1830)
The son of William Vance and Sarah Colville Vance, Samuel was native to Bath, Pennsylvania. He trained as a surveyor and migrated to Cincinnati, Ohio sometime before 1803. During that year married Mary Morris Lawrence, the granddaughter of General and Northwest Territory governor Arthur St. Clair.  The couple had nine children. Vance served under General Anthony Wayne in the Northwest Indian Wars and served on the board of the Indiana Canal Company at its formation in 1805. Vance also fought in the War of 1812. he settled permanently in Lawrenceburg in 1818. Vance purchased the land that would become Lawrenceburg at the Cincinnati Land Office. Vance surveyed the town of Lawrenceburg in April 1802, using his wife's maiden name to name the town.
Important Transportation Hub
The city was an important city early in the state's history due to its location on the Ohio River. It became an important railroad center as well, and two rail lines, the Central Railroad Co. of Indiana and the CSX Transportation Inc. still run through the city. Lawrenceburg also served as the southern terminus of the Whitewater Canal, built in the 1840's. The downtown area borders the shoreline of the Ohio River that you may see from the Levee Walk that is located at the end of Walnut Street. The Levee Walk is a part of the longer
Lawrenceburg Transportation
Lawrenceburg, Indiana has one major highway, US 50, connecting it with Aurora, Versailles, Seymour and Vincennes to the west and Cincinnati, Ohio to the east. Indiana State Road 1 connects Lawrenceburg with I-74 to the north.
For more information about shopping, dining and lodging in Lawrenceburg, contact the Dearborn County Visitor Center.

320 Walnut Street
Lawrenceburg, IN 47025
Phone: 812-537-0814
Toll Free: 800-322-8198
Fax: 812-537-0845
E-mail: dearborn@visitsoutheastindiana.com


Attractions
Dearborn Trails
Vance-Tousey House
Lawrenceburg Antique Gallery
Hickory Lakes Campground
Dearborn Highlands Arts Council
Dearborn County Historical Society
Ohio River Marinas in the Lawrenceburg and Aurora Indiana Areas
Dearborn Trails – Aurora – Lawrenceburg – Greendale Indiana
Argosy Casino And Hotel
Tri-State Antique Market
Lawrenceburg Speedway
Perfect North Slopes
Dearborn Competition Go-Kart Racing
Salatin’s Orchard


© Indiana Places 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment