Friday, July 25, 2014

Church Avenue Park

Church Avenue Park
Church and Brames Avenue
Jasper, IN 47546
phone: 812-482-5959

Th e Church Avenue Park one acre park land features a shelter house, basketball court, tennis court, a playground, and horseshoe pits.

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Beaver Lake - Jasper, IN

Beaver Lake
N Beaver Lake Rd
Jasper, IN 47546

This 350 acre Beaver Lake park has 205 acres of lake. Beaver Lake offers a wide variety of outdoor recreational activities.

Shelter houses and picnic areas provide an excellent setting for family gatherings. The Park and Recreation Department hosts the Annual Kids Fishing Contest which is held in early May. Located 4 miles east of Jasper, turn north off of State Road 164.


Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Celestine Park - Celestine, IN

Celestine Park
90 N Celestine Rd N
Celestine, IN 47521

Celestine Park features a community center, playground, sand volleyball, a small soccer field at the bottom of the hill, and a baseball/softball field. It is located near the Celestine Elementary School, which also has a playground and tennis courts.

© Indiana Places 2014

Back To Dubois County.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Buehler Park - Jasper, IN

Buehler Park
25th Street and Howard Dr.
Jasper, IN 47546

The three acre Buehler Park offers a shelter house, basketball court, tennis court, ball fields, a grill, a playground, and horseshoe pits.

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

25th Street and Howard Dr.
Jasper, IN 47546

The three acre Buehler Park offers a shelter house, basketball court, tennis court, ball fields, a grill, a playground, and horseshoe pits.

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Monday, July 21, 2014

5th Street Park - Ferdinand, Indiana

5th Street Park
534 W 5th Street
Ferdinand, IN 47532
phone: 812-367-1780

The 5th Street Park in Ferdinand, Indiana has a playground, but the activities available for children are not limited to it. Four softball and baseball fields play host to various Little League games throughout the summer. In addition to the numerous ball fields, two soccer fields are also located behind the park.

© Indiana Places 2014

Back To Ferdinand

Friday, July 18, 2014

30th Street Park

30th Street Park
E. 30th Street ,
Jasper, IN 47546

The13 acre 30th Street Park includes shelter houses, ball fields, volleyball courts, and a playground.

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

O'Bannon Woods Indiana State Park

O'Bannon Woods State Park
7234 Old Forest Road SW
Corydon, IN 47112
(812) 738-8232

O'Bannon Woods State Park boasts a variety of activities. Formerly Wyandotte Woods State Recreation Area, the DNR changed the name to honor Gov. Frank O’Bannon. The former Indiana governor’s family lives and the area and has been active preserving local natural resources. Hikers will find over eleven miles of trails. Equestrians may ride their mounts over eighty miles of trails. Cave enthusiasts can explore the dark regions of Wyandotte Caves. This cave complex includes two separate cave systems - Sibert and The Big Cave. The Nature Center is features a restored pioneer homestead. The campground contains 234 campsites. Picnic facilities, scattered throughout the park, feature nine shelters. The Blue River provides access to the Ohio River and serves as a route for canoeists and other boaters.
Activities at O'Bannon Woods State Park

  • Camping
  • Nature Center/Interpretive Naturalist Services
  • Picnicking/Shelters (Shelter Reservations)
  • Horse Trails
  • Picnic Tables
  • Fishing / Boating
  • Hiking Trails
  • Family Aquatic Center
  • Hay Press Barn/1830's Pioneer Homestead
  • Wyandotte Caves

O'Bannon Woods State Park Camping
Electric - 281 sites
Horseman Non-Electric - 47 sites
Primitive Non-Electric - 25 sites
Group Camp: 100-bed self-contained structures
Dumping Station
Camping facilities at O'Bannon include full electric, primitive, group camping and a Horseman's campground. Campers may reserve one of the 234 campsites are in the modern campground at this link. Electric service in the campground is 50 amps. There are fresh water fill ups, shower facilities, and restrooms throughout the campground.  In addition to these sites, twenty-five primitive sites do not have modern facilities.  The Horseman's Campground has thirty-six sites with electric and modern restroom. A 63-site non-electric horseman campground is also located in the park.  There is also a youth group camp with two dormitories that sleep fifty each. The campground also has a meeting hall, and kitchen/dining hall. Stage Stop Primitive Campground, located by the Blue River, provides a camping area for boaters. Currently (2014) closed. Call (812) 738-8232 for more information. There are seventeen family sites, seven rally sites and seven family walk in sites. There are pit toilets and water hydrants. Tent camping only.

Hiking Trails at O'Bannon Woods State Park
The eight trails in O'Bannon Woods State Park provide a variety of hiking experiences. Rugged, moderate and easy trails traverse a variety of habitats. These range from a pleasant jaunt on bluffs overlooking the Ohio River to an easy hike through the Wyandotte Wetlands. The trails total over eleven miles. There is access to the Adventure Trail, a 25.5-mile rugged backpacking
trail through Harrison-Crawford State Forest in O'Bannon Woods State Park. It normally takes 2½ to 3 days to complete this trail. Five overnight shelters available first-come, first-use are along the trail. The
Trail blazes are green and white.

Description of Hiking Trails
Fire Tower to Rocky Ridge Bike and Hike Trail
(2 Miles)
Moderate To Rugged
The trail begins at the fire tower and travels west, intersecting with the Rocky Ridge Trail. Combined with the Rocky Ridge Trail and with a return to the fire tower this route provides 6 miles of mountain biking and hiking. Parking, comfort station and water are available at the fire tower.
Rocky Ridge Bike and Hike Trail
(2 Miles),
Trail A begins and ends near campsite 35. This loop trail passes through deep ravines and up scenic, rocky slopes. Parking and water are available at the campground.
Tulip Valley Trail
(2 Miles)
Tulip Valley Trail begins across from the Group Campground. It passes through the woods in front of Hickory Hollow Nature Center, and continues up the ridge to the campground. One mile of this trail is accessible from the Nature Center.
CCC Ghost Trail
(1.25 Miles)
This trail begins and ends at the Group Camp and follows both sides of a dry creek bed. Be prepared for long, steep climbs and rocky descents. Parking is available at the Group Camp.
Cliff Dweller Trail
(1.75 Miles)
This loop trail crosses a dry creek bed, follows a beautiful, spring-fed creek and has long stretches of climbing. Parking is available at the Pioneer Shelter House.
White-Tailed Deer Trail
(1 mile)
This trail begins at the entrance to Shelter House 2 picnic area and ends at the bottom of Shelter House 2 parking lot.
Ohio River Bluff Trail
(1.5 miles)
This loop trail captures vistas of what the early settlers saw while traveling down the Ohio River. Follow the rocky escarpment bluff, as it meanders down to the horse trail from Shelter House 2 and back to the lower parking lot. It then skirts under the edge of the bluff and up the rock staircase, built by the CCC, back to the shelter.
Post-Oak Cedar Nature Preserve Trail
(.8 Miles)
This trail is on Cold Friday Road, 1.5 miles south of the main property office. The Division of Nature Preserves requests that you register at the trailhead before entering the nature preserve.
Sharp Spring Trail
(1 Mile)
Easy To Moderate
This trail loops around the perimeter of Wyandotte Wetlands and passes Sharp’s Spring behind the lake. The parking lot shelter provides a beautiful spot for a picnic.

Horse Trails
The eighty miles of marked horse trails meander through the Harrison-Crawford State Forest. The Forest encompasses O'Bannon Woods.

Hickory Hollow Nature Center
At the Hickory Hollow Nature Center park, visitors will find the Interpretive Naturalist Service. The Center is open year-round.

Hay Press Barn/1830's Pioneer Homestead
Located near Hickory Hollow Nature Center, the Hay Press Barn is a working replica of an 1830's hay press. During the summer months oxen power the hay press, The 1830s farmstead depicts life as it was when the area was first settled. The Nature Center has extensive exhibits and a bird viewing area. It also features a restored pioneer homestead. This homestead has an authentic 1850's hay press in an old mortise and tendon barn. This is a unique apparatus from the nineteenth century.

Wyandotte Caves
Wyandotte Caves are within the confines of the State Park. Sibert Cave is open from March 1 through October 31 and is the smaller of the two caves. It has many beautiful formations. The Big Cave is open May 1 - September 30. It is currently (2014) closed for repairs. (812) 738-8232 for current information.

Fishing / Boating
Anglers may fish, with an Indiana Fishing License, in the Blue River. O'Bannon Woods State Park has four access points for the Blue River. Stage Stop Primitive Campground provides both access and river front camping for boaters.  The Lock and Dam 44 access site at the mouth of the Blue River provides a concrete ramp for access to the Ohio River.
Eleven miles of Blue River downstream from SR 462 bridge are available for canoeing, tubing and boating.

Family Aquatic Center
The swimming pool and aquatic center has a Zero depth multi-function 5,000 SF activity pool w/ three large slides, zero depth 2,200 SF children’s pool w/ island and spray features, and 1,750 SF spray pad, Bathhouse and Equipment Building. O'Bannon Woods State Park opened their new aquatic center in May 2007.
It has a pool lift with electric controls, water chairs for sprinklers and zero-entry pools.

Picnic Tables/ Picnicking/Shelters
There are nine designated picnic shelter sites. Other picnic shelters are scattered throughout the park. Ohio River Overlook Shelter 2 overlooks the Ohio River and has playground facilities. Three shelters may be reserved for family reunions and other functions. The shelters provide picnic tables, grills, toilet facilities. Back To Corydon

Back to Indiana State Parks

© Indiana Places 2012

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Fruits and Flowers Trail

Fruits and Flowers Trail

Auto tour of orchards, gardens, farm markets and restaurants in southwestern Indiana.
The Fruits & Flowers Trail includes orchards, gardens, farm markets and restaurants that celebrate local homegrown bounty. Visit each venue and pick up a local recipe to take home.
There's a unique recipe in each county! For more information, visit the website.
Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Lions Riverview Park

Lions Riverview Park
160 Brucke Strasse
Jasper, IN 47546

The 5 acre Lions Riverview Park includes shelter houses, a playground, walking path, fishing, and a grill. Located right near the Patoka River, right next to the Jasper City Mill, and along the Jasper Riverwalk, this park is in a great location for the family to enjoy.

Walking Path

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Visual Arts & Krempp Gallery

Visual Arts & Krempp Gallery
Jasper Arts Center (more)
951 College Ave
Jasper, IN 47546
(812) 482-3070

The Krempp Gallery has been a showcase for local, regional, and nationally recognized visual artists in all mediums since 1984. The Visual Arts & Krempp Gallery features new shows each month and recurring exhibits including Youth Art Month, the annual Juried Exhibit, and the Visual Arts Committee Exhibit. The Visual Arts & Krempp Gallery is committed to its mission of promoting an appreciation of and participation in the visual arts for the community and Southern Indiana. Guest artists often accompany their work with gallery lectures or related workshops. Admission to the Krempp Gallery is free and patrons enjoy a wide range of pricing for original artwork. 

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Monday, July 14, 2014

Dave Buehler Plaza

Dave Buehler Plaza
Off 3rd Ave. near Patoka River,
Jasper,   IN  47546

The Dave Buehler Plaza, which is directly east of the Patoka River Bridge on Third Avenue, was named for the man behind the idea of a walkway along the river. The Dave Buehler Plaza area features restrooms, 4 shelter houses, fishing, boat access, grill, playground, horseshoe pits, and part of the Jasper Riverwalk (a 2.1 mile scenic walking path). For inquiry on reserving the shelter houses, please contact Jasper City Hall at 812-482-4255. Gazebo rental is $50 per day (plus tax) and shelters are $25 each per day (plus tax) .

Walking Path
Boat Access
Horseshoe Pits

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Friday, July 11, 2014

A Visit to Clifty Falls State Park

Clifty Falls State Park
2221 Clifty Drive
Madison In, 47250

A Visit to Clifty Falls State Park
A Visit to Clifty Falls State Park
Kindle Softbound
Barnes & Noble
Barnes and Noble Softbound
Google Play
Smashwords20% Free Sample
Create Space - Softcover Book

There are two entrances to Clifty Falls State Park. The North Entrance is on State Road 62 a few miles west of its intersection with US 421. When you pull in this entrance, Clifty Shelter is to the right. This is a big shelter with lots of room for picnicking. There is a large field suitable for soccer, badminton, etc. The south entrance is on State Road 56, which also goes east into downtown Madison. Clifty Inn is on the left of this entrance after you ascend the hill.

Clifty Falls State Park Activities:
1414 Acres
Nature Center/Interpretive Naturalist Services
Hiking Trails
Tennis & Other Games
Meeting & Conference Facilities - At Clifty Inn
Clifty Inn and Restaurant
Swimming Pool / Waterslide

Clifty State Park Hiking Trails
Twelve hiking trails that total 12 miles. Most of these trails are quite rugged. Trail 2, which follows the boulder-strewn Clifty Creek, bed, makes a tough and beautiful hike. The stair on the north end that leads to Clifty Shelter has been out of service for years, so there is no access to the Shelter from this trail. By stringing trails 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and 8 hikers can circumvent the Canyon. This "Canyon Loop" is approximately seven miles long and will take about six hours of leisurely hiking. It is necessary to hike a short distance along Clifty Drive to connect with Trail 6 at Hickory Grove with Tunnel Falls. The loop follows the east rim of the Canyon. Then it descends into the valley and crosses Clifty Creek. From the creek, it climbs a long, wildflower lush slope to follow the western rim of the Canyon. The last trail of the loop is Trail 8 that emerges just north of Clifty Shelter.

Nature Center/Interpretive Naturalist Services
The nature center, located near Clifty Inn, has information on the park's interpretive and recreational programs.

Picnic Shelters
Clifty Shelter - located near the north gate off Indiana State Road 62. From this shelter, visitors may view Clifty Falls, picnic, use the large play field, hike or just relax. Hiking trails 8 and 7 begin near this shelter. Trail 2, which traverses the creek bed, is not accessible from the shelter.
Hickory Grove Picnic Shelter - Trail 6 begins here. This shelter overlooks the canyon. This is the first picnic area past Clifty Shelter, on the right as you drive south on the main road.
Oak Grove Picnic Shelter - The park road branches just past Hickory Grove. Keep going straight to get to this, the third shelter south of Clifty Shelter on the drive. Access to Trail 5, Tunnel Falls and the Tunnel is from this shelter.
Baby Beech Picnic Area - This picnic area, located near the swimming pool, has a large play field and access to hiking trails 9 and 10.
Poplar Grove Picnic Area - Poplar Grove has a large play area and access to Trail 3. It is on the main drive near the Canyon.
Cragmont Picnic Shelter - located on the east loop of Clifty Drive, this picnic shelter has a large playfield. There are no trails leading to this picnic shelter.

In addition to the six picnic shelters, visitors will find numerous picnic tables located in odd nooks and crannies along Clifty Drive overlooking the canyon.

Tennis & Other Games
There are tennis courts near Clifty Inn

Clifty Inn
1314 Clifty Hollow Rd.
Madison, IN 47250
Situated on a bluff overlooking the Ohio River, Clifty Inn has sixty-three rooms. Thirty-seven of these have balconies with a view of the Ohio River and downtown Madison Indiana. There is also an indoor pool. There are also four suites and banquet and conference rooms. Visitors may make reservations online.
Clifty Inn has a restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week.
Clifty Inn Amenities
Indoor swimming pool, Wheelchair accessible and available aquatic wheel chair.
Large sun porch to set back and relax while overlooking the Ohio River
Rooms and Suites to accommodate almost any need.
Sitting room - Nature Niche
Game room
Unique Gift Shop with Great Indiana products
Free Wireless Internet throughout the Inn
Complimentary Coffee/ Hot Tea Station
Satellite Television
Bonfire pit- overlooking the Ohio River
Free parking
There are many lounging areas throughout the Inn. These are great for games, playing cards, or reading that good book.
Full service Dining Room
Onsite catering for meetings or banquets
Free Wireless Internet

Clifty Falls State Park Waterfalls
Clifty Falls State Park draws its name from Clifty Falls that tumbles sixty feet into the canyon below. Clifty Falls is visible from an overlook near Clifty Shelter. Clifty Shelter is on the north end of the park. There are three other waterfalls in the park, none of which are visible from the main drive. Access Little Clifty falls after taking a short hike of about one quarter mile from Clifty Shelter. There are some impressive steps to climb on the way to this falls. Tunnel Falls, so named for its proximity to an old railroad tunnel, is just a short distance from the main drive around the park. Again, there is a stairway to descend down to the trail. Access the Hoffman Falls by descending another long stair down to the trail.
Big Clifty Falls - 60'
Little Clifty Falls - 60'
Hoffman Falls - 78'
Tunnel Falls - 83'

Camping at Clifty Falls State Park
The campground is near the center of the park. Signs will direct you there. The outdoor pool is near the campground. You may drive to it, or use Trail 9, a one-mile moderate hike from the campground. The campground has 106 Class A sites. It also has 59 Class C sites. Class A campers have access to modern restroom and shower facilities. Class C sites have pit toilets. Many sites will accommodate
Trailers. There are no modern wastewater hookups. Dump station available. Make reservations at this link.
Electric- 106 sites
Non-electric - 63 sites
Youth Tent Areas
Dumping Station

Swimming Pool / Waterslide
Clifty Falls State Park has a swimming pool, waterslide and wading pool. The pool is open Saturday before Memorial Day and no later than Labor Day. It is on the eastern part of the park and has access to Trails 9 and 10.

Observation Tower
A short hike up Trail 1 from the Inn, the Observation Tower provides a stunning view of the Ohio River Valley.

Nearby attractions to Clifty Falls State Park:

Madison, nestled among the hills on the banks of the Ohio River, is in one of the prettiest settings for a city in our state. With a population of about 12,000, it has a renovated downtown. Visitors will find antique shops, various retail establishments, bed and breakfasts, and restaurants. The riverfront boasts the awesome Riverfront Park. Bricked sidewalks with landscaped areas, this well designed park are the site of the Madison Regatta. This event features the Unlimited Hydroplane Race and boat races in which boats attain speeds of over 200 MPH.

The Ohio River Bridge here crosses into Kentucky via US 421.

State Road 56, east of Madison, goes towards Vevay, Rising Sun, and Lawrenceburg. It is about an hour or so drive to the riverboat casinos in Rising Sun and Lawrenceburg. The highway hugs the river for most of the distance and is a pretty drive. Along the way, you will pass Markland Locks and Dam. This facility controls the river level and makes the river consistently navigable for the barges. The locks are on the Kentucky side of the river. To visit them, drive over the bridge that spans the river over the dam.

br /> © Indiana Places 2014br />br />

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Spirit of Jasper Train and Depot

Historic and Beautiful Indiana Train Ride

Spirit of Jasper Train and Depot
201 Mill St
Jasper, IN 47546
phone: (812) 482-5959

All aboard the Spirit of Jasper for a scenic railroad excursion from the Jasper Train Depot. Ride in style on three beautifully renovated, climate-controlled lounge cars complete with restrooms, comfortable seating and a cash bar. The Spirit of Jasper offers a number of different kinds of train rides. These range from dinner trains, special excursions and a train ride to nearby French Lick, Indiana.

Enjoy your evening aboard the "Jasper to French Lick Express" which features a train ride to the French Lick Resort Casino and historic West Baden, Indiana. This rail trip covers twenty-five miles, takes two hours and travels through the second longest railroad tunnel in Indiana. Visitors have about three hours to browse the shops and sights of French Lick before the train returns to Jasper.

The "Ride & Dine" dinner train, which winds through the beautiful countryside of southern Indiana, allows riders to enjoy a wonderful meal as they enjoy the southern Indiana countryside on a classic Indiana railroad. The round trip dinner excursion covers eighteen miles, takes about two and a half hours and features a deliciious meal catered by Schnitzelbank, a local German style restaurant. There is a cash bar on the train.

There are additional special train rides available on select dates and times throughout the year.

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Scheaffer Barn

Scheaffer Barn
E 4th and McCrillus St.
Jasper,   IN  47546
(812) 482-4255

Built in 1845 by a Prussian immigrant family, this Scheaffer Barn resides in revitalized downtown Jasper near the Riverwalk. This historic barn originally stood in Ferdinand. A group of volunteers disassembled it and moved it to its current location in 2005 and 2006.

Hand hewn chestnut logs make up the Cantilever Overhang structure. Other construction features include half-dovetail notches, a 50-foot continuous beam, three log cribs with 26-foot hand-hewn feeding troughs made from a single white oak tree and a stone foundation. The Scheaffer Barn originally comprised two structures. In 1845 the Scheaffers constructed the original log barn. They built a grainary adjacent to the barn. They conbined the two buildings in the 1880's.

Today the Scheaffer Barn serves as a backdrop for many area events. 
Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Monday, July 7, 2014

Jasper River Walk

Jasper River Walk

The Jasper River Walk stretches 2.1 miles from the Ruxer Golf Course on South Clay Street, to 15th Street. It follows the Patoka River through scenic wooded areas and along farm fields. Walkers, joggers and bicyclists can enjoy the Riverwalk without the worry of traffic. It also passes through the Dave Buehler Plaza and the Lions Club Park that is a handicap accessible playground.

The south end of the Jasper River Walk begins on South Clay Street at Ruxer Golf Course. Parking is available for those wanting to walk, jog or bike on the trail, which is also wheel chair accessible. A long footbridge that extends across the river also connects to the paved trail. The river runs along one side of the trail while open fields line the other side. The trail goes under Newton Street and proceeds along the rear parking lot of the movie theater. There is access to the trail from both the rear and front parking areas.

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Madison, Indiana

Madison, Indiana
County - Jefferson
- Total 8.9 sq mi (23.0 km2)
- Land 8.6 sq mi (22.2 km2)
- Water 0.3 sq mi (0.9 km2) 3.72%
Elevation 489 ft (149 m)
Population (2000)
- Total 12,004
- Density 1,402.9/sq mi (541.4/km2)
Time zone EST (UTC-5)
ZIP code 47250
Area code(s) 812

The first settlers began populating the site now known as Madison, Indiana around 1806. The town was incorporated in 1809, seven years before Indiana became a state. It's location along the Ohio River caused it to become an important town in the early state's history. In 1836 the Madison & Indianapolis Railroad was completed, connecting the growing city with the new state capital. The state's first major highway was the Michigan Road, commissioned in 1828. Construction began that year and the road was completed in 1834. The Michigan Road, later to become State Road 29, ran from Madison, Indiana to Michigan City on Lake Michigan in the north. It ran through Indianapolis. So by the 1840's, Madison was connected to the northern part of the state by road and rail.

Over half of the pioneers settling Indiana passed along this road, and this influx of traffic allowed Madison, Indiana to grow. Competing rail lines caused the railroad to fail, and other routes opened up, causing Madison, Indiana to fall in importance while other cities grew. The population maintained itself from the Civil War until the late 1900's. A program of downtown renewal has resulted in the creation of a vibrant small city along the banks of the Ohio River. The historic downtown has been revitalized, a river walk built along the river and there are exciting events all year, making Madison, Indiana a picturesque and inviting town to visit.

Highways Indiana State Road 7
US Route 421
Indiana State Road 56
Indiana State Road 62
Clifty Falls State Park
Back to Jefferson County
Back to Cities and Towns

Friday, June 27, 2014

Jasper City Mill

Jasper City Mill 160 3rd Ave Jasper, IN 47546 (812) 482-4924

This newly built mill was completed in 2009 and is the third mill to occupy this site. Constructed to resemble the former mill that once stood near the Patoka River, this new structure is the latest addition to the "Old Jasper" district. Guests can tour the mill, watch the workings of the waterwheel and corn meal production and browse for souvenir items for purchase in the gift shop.

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Monastery Immaculate Conception

Monastery Immaculate Conception
802 E 10th St.
Ferdinand, IN 47532

Castle on the Hill
The Monastery Imaculate Conception, nicknamed the "Castle on the Hill" provides santuary for the largest community of Benedictine women in the United States. Built in 1867, the recently restored eight-seven foot tall Romanesque dome is a key feature of the structure. There are also eighty-nine angels scattered around the church. Monastery Immaculate Conception is on the National Register of Historic Places and has been designated an Official Project of Save America's Treasures.
A gift shop, For Heavens Sake, sells handmade items crafted by the sisters and spiritual merchandise. Visitors seeking a peaceful getaway may visit the Kordes Center.

Guided Tour Hours:
Tuesday through Friday from 10:00 AM until 3:00 PM, on the hour. No noon tour.
Weekends - 1:00 PM through 3:00 PM, on the hour.
To schedule a group tour please call 800-968-4578.

Back To Ferdinand

© Indiana Places 2014

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Lemmons Church

Lemmons Church
7399 W Portersville Rd.
Otwell, IN 47564
812) 482-7941

Built in 1860 and restored in 1992, Lemmons was placed on the National Register of Historical Places on June 4, 1992. This Greek revival structure, built by the Cumberland Presbyterians, features its original pews and 14' ceilings. The adjacent cemetery became public in 1935 and is active. A detailed history and pictures are on display inside the church.

Back to Ireland © Indiana Places 2014

Ireland, Indiana

Ireland, Indiana
Lemmons Church

Back to Cities and Towns

Back To Dubois County.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

L.H. Sturm Hardware

L.H. Sturm Hardware
516 Main St.
Jasper, IN 47546
(812) 482-6506

Constructed in 1886, this building was purchased by the Sturm family in 1895 for operation as a hardware store. It stands today as one of the oldest hardware stores in Indiana that has continually been operated as a hardware store by the same family. In 2004, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. A staple on Jasper’s downtown square, L.H. Sturm Hardware gets its name from its founder, Louie Sturm, who opened the store in 1895.

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Monday, June 23, 2014

Loogootee, Indiana

Loogootee, Indiana

The name Loogootee is a combination of the names of a railroad engineer named Lowe, and Thomas Gootee, the original owner of the town site. Loogootee was founded in 1853, platted on the route of the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad. The town evolved into a major rail center for freight and livestock. During the late 1800's the area around Loogootee became a major clay producing area and the two kilns produced around 92,000 gallons of common stoneware annually, from 1870-1892. Sand from the White River became the raw material for a booming glass industry from 1902 until 1915.


Loogootee is at located at the intersection of US 150 and US 231.

US 50
US 150
US 231

Paul Wonning's Books on Amazon Page
Paul Wonning's Books on Smashwords Page
Paul Wonning's Books on Apple
Paul Wonning's Books on Kobo
Paul Wonning's Books on Barnes and Noble

Indiana State Road 550

Streams and Rivers
White River - East Fork


For Loogootee dining, shopping and lodging information contact:
Loogootee Municipal Building
401 J.F.K. Ave.
Loogootee, Indiana  47553

Visit Mossy Feet Books's profile on Pinterest.
© Mossy Feet Books 2016

North Vernon, Indiana

Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - South East Edition
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums -
South East Edition
North Vernon, Indiana
County - Jennings
Area- 4.4 sq mi
Elevation 719 ft
Population (2000)
ZIP code 47265
Area code(s) 812
Brief History
The settlement which became North Vernon probably began in 1838 when the Madison & Indianapolis reached the site which became the town. A construction site morphed into a small settlement called Lick Skillet. Stone quarries and lumber mills were the primary industries. Stone from the quarries in the area were used to build many bridges and structures in the regoin. In 1853 - 1854 the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad Company extended it rails westward, creating a major rail crossing at the town which was now referred to as The Crossing. Hagarman Trip and Hiram Prather purchased a tract of land surrounding the rail crossing and platted the town of Tripton on June 24, 1854. The town held an incorporation election in 1867, changing its name to North Vernon.
North Vernon.
North Vernon became an important railroad town, becoming the third busiest rail crossing by the late 1800's.
Two railroads serve the town of North Vernon. The Madison Railroad operates 28 miles of track connecting North Vernon and Madison, Indiana. CSX owns the east/west rail which was originally the B&O Railroad. In addition to the railroad, US 50 crosses the city, connecting it with Lawrenceburg, Indiana to the east and Vincennes, Indiana to the west. State Road 3 crosses US 50 as it forms an connecting link with Charlestown, Indiana to the south and Markle, Indiana to the north. State Road 7 also passes through the town, as it passes from Madison, Indiana on its way to Columbus, Indiana. Three miles to the north, the North Vernon Airport serves as an air hub for the city.
To access the attractions of North Vernon, Indiana, click this link.

© Indiana Places 2017

Jasper Downtown Shopping District

Jasper Downtown Shopping District Downtown, Jasper, IN 47546 (812) 482-6866

The Jasper Downtown Shopping District is filled with vitality, history and a variety of shops. Main Street and the area around the square provide an ideal background for great shopping and special festivities throughout the year. Relaxing and informative, the walking tour encompasses nearly two miles and includes visits to more than 20 of Jasper’s oldest sites.

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Friday, June 20, 2014

Huntingburg Old Town Hall

Huntingburg Old Town Hall 309 North Geiger Street Huntingburg, IN 47542 phone: (812) 683-5699

This 1887 Italianate structure features Victorian lighting, elongated windows, 14-inch brick walls, and the original tin ceiling. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Huntingburg Old Town Hall once served as a fire station and jail, and later as the focal point for the town’s social, cultural, and political events through the 1930s. After several decades, the building was renovated and, in full use today, now stands as a symbol of community pride.


© Indiana Places 2014

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Huntingburg Museum

Huntingburg Museum
508 E 4th St
Huntingburg, IN 47542
(812) 683-2211

The Huntingburg Museum illustrates the life and times of the people of Huntingburg through pictures, artifacts, and other documentation. Included are various war memorabilia, a 1901 "Huntingburg Tour Car", items from "A League of Their Own", and the bed of Colonel Geiger, founder of Huntingburg.


Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Huntingburg Historic 4th Street

Huntingburg Historic 4th Street
US 231 and 4th St.
Huntingburg, IN 47542
(812) 683-5699

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Huntingburg Historic 4th Street has been lovingly restored from destruction of a fire in 1889. It has the flavor of a charming Victorian downtown. The shopping district possesses more than two dozen locally owned antique and specialty shops and unique eateries. A of walking tour of the Huntingburg Historic 4th Street takes you back to the Nineteenth Century. Construction of the two-story Italianate and late Victorian commercial buildings took place at this time. The brick-paved sidewalks and 1800s façade provide a quaint setting for many special events throughout the year.


Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Ferdinand Historical Walking Tour

Ferdinand Historical Walking Tour

The one mile walking tour of Ferdinand, Indiana features over forty historic buildings with unique architectural features. Maps are available at the web site.
The buildings include:
St. Ferdinand Catholic Church (Built in 1848): 341 East 10th Street
St. Ferdinand Church Rectory (Built in 1897): 840 Maryland Street
Kindergarten Building (Built 1898): Maryland Street
Ferdinand National Bank (Built in 1865): 855 Maryland Street
Ferdinand Olinger House (Built in 1910): 202 E 7th Street
Richard Gehlhausen House (Built in 1910): 821 E 8th Street
Boeckman House (Built in 1905): 811 E 5th Street
Eiberg House (Built in 1870): 135 Main Street
William Boeckman House (now Harvest Moon) (Built in 1906): 210 Main Street
Olinger House (Built in 1906): 205 W. 3rd Street
Frank Heidet & Son (Founded in 1865, structure built in 1936): 325 Main Street
Barth House (now Tin Lizzie’s) (Built 1870): 430 Main Street
J. Herman Beckman House (Built in 1870): Corner of 6th and Main Street
Saalman-Haake House (Built in 1890): 123 W. 6th Street
Goepferich House (Could be older than the community itself): 605 Missouri Street
Beckman House (Built in 1900): 715 Main Street
Gohman Bldg/Indiana Hotel (Built in 1860): 835 Main Street
Hubert Quante Building (Built in 1897): Corner of 9th and Main Street
Kundek Monument (Built in 1988 by Ferdinand Historical Society): Corner of Kundek and Main Street
Beckman State Bank (now Universal Design) (Built in 1923): 910 Main & Kundek
Olinger Building (now Fleig’s Café) (Built 1908): 905 Main Street
Oasis (Built in 1909): 935 Main Street
Weaver-Backer House (Built in 1917): 955 Main Street
Dr. Alois Wollenmann House (Built in 1903): 1150 Main Street
Gehlhausen House (Built in 1895): 1305 Main Street
Joseph Linder House (now House of Flowers): 1325 Main Street
Sonderman House (Built in 1903): 1420 Main Street
Sonderman Store (now Antique Emporium) (Established 1893): 1440 Main Street
Harry Gehlhausen House (The White House) (Built 1870): 2060 Pine Drive
Weyer House (Built in 1905): 1415 Virginia Street
Hubert Beckman House (Built in 1912): 214 W 13th Street
Dr. Metzger House (Built 1910): 244 W 13th Street
John Hoffman House (Built in 1865): 1225 Virginia Street
Adam Jacobe House (Built in 1900): 1115 Virginia Street
Frank Muller House (Built around 1915): 945 Missouri Street
Ed Muller House (Built in 1916): 935 Missouri Street
Peter Muller House (Built in 1865): 314 W 9th Street
Leonard Muller House (Built in 1912): 123 W 9th Street
Vincent Metzger House (Built in 1880): 211 E. 11th Street
Chapel of our Sorrowful Mother (Built in 1877): 10th Street just south of the Monastery
Monastery Immaculate Conception (Built in 1886): 802 E 10th Street

Back To Ferdinand

© Indiana Places 2014

Monday, June 16, 2014

Dubois County Courthouse Dubois County Courthouse 1 Courthouse Square Jasper, IN 47546 (812) 481-7000

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Courthouse is a Renaissance Revival-style building designed in 1910 and renovated in 1996. The original Courthouse was completely destroyed by fire in August 1839, and many of the historical county records were lost.

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Friday, June 13, 2014

Chain of Lakes State Park

Chain of Lakes State Park
2355 E. 75 South
Albion, Indiana   46701

Phone: 260-636-2654
Toll Free: 800-457-8283
Reservations: 260-636-2654

Canoe, Fish or Paddleboat at an Indiana State Park

Chain of Lakes State Park Overview
Beautiful lakes, fabulous camping and great hiking make Chain of Lakes State Park a great vacation getaway. This is one of the places in Indiana that offers relaxation as well as plenty to do. This 2718-acre State Park has over 212 acres of surface lake area and seven miles of shore line on nine interconnecting lakes.

Chain of Lakes
Nine interconnecting lakes at Chain of Lakes State Park create a paradise for boat lovers. Located in the midst of Indiana's lake country, the lakes connect via small channels that a canoe or kayak may pass through. The lakes combine for over two hundred surface acres and seven miles of shoreline.

Family Cabins
The cabins offer privacy and comfort with bedrooms, living areas, kitchens and bathroom facilities. The cabins do not have maid service so visitors must bring their own towels, bedding, plates and silverware. Full weekly rental only is available during the months of June, July, and August. During April, May, September and October cabins are available on a nightly basis. There are eighteen cabins with play area and play field nearby. There is also a boat dock on Long Lake near the cabins. Trail 6 gives cabin residents access to the other trails and other amenities of the park.

Glacial Esker Nature Preserve
This area, dedicated in 2012, preserves 212 acres of glacial esker. This type of terrain, glacial in origin, is a long line of sand and gravel mix that is a uniform shape.

Hiking Trails
The state park includes ten hiking trails that total over fourteen miles in length. The trails range in difficulty from rugged to easy and traverse a range of terrain from forest to open field to wetland.

Boat Rental
Park visitors may rent canoes, paddleboats and kayaks during the summer season.

Camping at the Park
Camping facilities include electric, non electric and primitive sites. There is a rally campground and youth camp ground suitable for group camping for kids.
Amenities at Chain of Lake State Park
Boat Launch Ramp
Boating / Elect. motor only
Nature Center/Interpretive Naturalist Services (Seasonal)
Rental-Canoe, Paddleboat, Kayak and Rowboat. Canoe rental on weekends & holiday by the hour only.
Cross-County Skiing / No Ski Rental
Fishing / Ice Fishing
Hiking Trails
Swimming / Beach

Camping Information:
Electric / 331 sites
Non-Electric / 49 sites
Primitive / 33 sites
Rally Camp / 4 sites
Canoe Camp
Youth Tent Areas
Campground Reservationsct
Camp Store
Dumping Station
Back to Indiana State Parks

© Indiana Places 2014

McCormick's Creek State

McCormick's Creek State Park
250 McCormicks Creek Park Road
Spencer, Indiana   47460
Phone: 812-829-2235
Toll Free: 800-457-8283
Reservations: 812-829-2235

Overview of McCormick's Creek State Park
McCormicks Creek State Park is the first state park established in Indiana in 1916. It was one hundred years after Indiana received Statehood. That was also when the first area resident, John McCormick, homesteaded 100 acres on the site. The park includes almost two thousand acres of forest, campground, trails and fun. McCormick's Creek flows through a rugged limestone canyon, cascading over waterfalls and rapids. It flows into the nearby White River that borders the park on the west. Visitors may stay in Canyon Inn, one of the seven family cabins or in the campground.

Horse Back Riding at McCormick's Creek
McCormick’s Creek Stables 812) 829-8848
Visitors may rent horses at the Saddle barn, or bring their own horse to ride on the bridle trail. There are horse trail tours daily and periodic hayrides. Groups may rent a wagon for a private hayride.

Swimming Pool
The swimming pool and bathhouse is open to the public and has a concession stand with refreshments. It opens the Saturday before Memorial Day and closes no later than Labor Day.

Tennis Courts
Located behind Canyon Inn, the lighted tennis courts permit nighttime playing.

Family Cabins
There are seven family cabins at McCormick's Creek. The cabins offer privacy and comfort with bedrooms, living areas, kitchens and bathroom facilities. The cabins do not have maid service so visitors must bring their own towels, bedding, plates and silverware. Full weekly rental only is available during the months of June, July, and August. During April, May, September and October cabins are available on a nightly basis. Each cabin accommodates a maximum of six people. Each has a living area, bedroom, bathroom, screened-in porch and kitchen.

Hiking Trails at McCormick's Creek State Park
There are ten trails at the park, totaling 10.7 miles. Difficulty ranges from moderate to rugged and traverse multiple habitats. Trail 3 connects the campground and Inn to a wonderful hike along McCormick's Creek with a good view of the waterfall.

McCormick Creek Picnic Areas
The picnic areas have tables, grills, toilet facilities, playground equipment and playfields. There are seven open shelters and four recreation buildings.

Recreation Center
Located near Canyon Inn, the recreation center has racquetball, handball, basketball, volleyball and shuffleboard. There is also a game room.

Canyon Inn
451 McCormick Creek Park Road
P.O. Box 71
Spencer, Indiana 47460
FAX: 812-829-1467
Seventy rooms of various sizes and prices to suit any need. Studio rooms have a microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker. Other rooms have private bath, telephone, coffee pot, hair dryer, TV and air conditioning. The 160 seat Canyon Inn Restaurant is open year round and features a glass-enclosed porch with a woodland view. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Periodic specials are available, especially during the winter. The inn’s outdoor pool is open to inn guests only. No pets are allowed in or around the pool. Guest and meeting rooms have wireless Internet service.

Camping at McCormick's Creek
The electric campsites have shower facilities, restrooms, hot water showers and a grill. Primitive campsites do not have showers, modern restrooms or electricity.
Electric / 189 sites
Primitive / 32 sites
Group Camping
Youth Tent Areas
Dumping Station
Camp Store

Group Camping
McCormick’s Creek State Park features two group camps, Camp McCormick and Camp NaWaKwa. Each camp contains four sleeping barracks, capacity 25 people each. The camp has a large capacity dining hall/kitchen. Each camp can accommodate 100 people. Both camps have a modern shower house located in the center.

Activities at McCormick's Creek State Park

Nature Center/Interpretive Naturalist Services
(Shelter Reservations)
Hiking Trails
Saddle Barn & trail rides (812) 829-8848
McCormick's Creek saddle barn information
Tennis Courts
Recreation Buildings
Recreation Center
Swimming / Pool
Back to Indiana State Parks

© Indiana Places 2014

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Buffalo Trace Golf Course

Buffalo Trace Golf Course
1728 Jackson St
Jasper, IN 47546
(812) 482-4600

18-hole, par 71, public course.
5,985 yards
Challenging, lots of pines and other trees. Variety of doglegs and nice views of the lake. Elevation and dual tees (longs are concrete, shorts rubber). Course maps by 1st tee.
# Holes: 19
Target Type: Baskets
Tee Type: Concrete
Elevation: Rolling
Foliage: Woodsy
Course Length: 5,820ft
Alternate Length: 4,195ft
Hole Length: Under 300ft: 10 - 300 - 400ft: 7 - Over 400ft: 2
Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Indiana Baseball Hall of Fame

Indiana Baseball Hall of Fame
850 College Ave
Jasper, IN 47546
(812) 482-2262

Dedicated to the sport of baseball and its Indiana heroes, this museum showcases memorabilia from high school, collegiate, and professional athletes throughout the Hoosier State. Displays include a unique sampling of jerseys, gloves, bats and plaques significant to the history of Indiana baseball. This facility is located on the Vincennes University Jasper Campus.

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Alvin C. Ruxer Golf Course

Alvin C. Ruxer Golf Course - Driving Range
406 Clay St.
Jasper,   IN  47546
(812) 482-5554

The 9-hole "Alvin C. Ruxer" course at the Alvin C. Ruxer Park Municipal Golf Course facility in Jasper, Indiana features 1,795 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 31 .
Alvin C. Ruxer Golf Course was built in 1994 on land deeded to the city from the late entrepreneur Alvin C. Ruxer. It features four par fours and five par threes along with a lighted driving range and a large practice green area.

Alvin C. Ruxer Course
9 hole executive length course
Municipal golf course
29.0 rating
Golf Only facility
15 tees driving range
Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Monday, June 9, 2014

Clark County, Indiana

Clark County, Indiana
Clark County, Indiana
Clark County
County Seat - Jeffersonville
Largest city - Jeffersonville
Area - 584.7 sq mi
Population - 103,569 (2006)
Founded - 1801
Named for General George Rogers Clark
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - South East Edition
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums
 South East Edition

Floyd, Washington, Scott County and Jefferson Counties surround Clark County. The Ohio River forms its southern border.
Clark County, in southeastern Indiana derives its name from Revolutionary War Hero General George Rogers Clark who wrested control of the vast Northwest Territory from the British during the Revolutionary War. For these exploits Congress awarded General Clark and his regiment 150,000 acres of land. Clark designated around 1000 acres of this grant to create the town of Clarksville, also named after the General. Clarksville was the first settlement authorized by the United States Government in the Northwest Territory. 

George Rogers Clark
George Rogers Clark (November 19, 1752 – February 13, 1818)

John Clark and Ann Rogers Clark produced the second of their ten children on November 19, 1752. George Rogers Clark entered the world near Charlottesville, Virginia on the frontier. The family moved away from the frontier after the outbreak of the French and Indian War in 1754. Their new home was a 400-acre plantation that John Clark eventually increased to 2000 acres. His parents sent him to his grandfather's home so he could attend Donald Robertson's school. This famous school also educated James Madison and John Taylor, who attended at the same time as George Rogers Clark. His grandfather taught him how to survey land. At twenty, George joined a surveying team that traveled into Kentucky, which was part of Virginia at the time. The Treaty of Fort Stanwix had opened Kentucky to settlement and new settlers were flooding into the area. The Iroquois had signed the treaty had, but the various tribes that made up the rest of the area did not. British Lieutenant-Governor Henry Hamilton encouraged the Amerindian tribes to raid American settlements in Kentucky. Clark headed up defensive attacks against these tribes. In June 1778, he started a campaign to take the western British outposts along the Wabash and Mississippi Rivers. He saw success with his summer campaign. He captured all the British forts and eased the threats of attack on the Kentucky settlements.
Excerpted from the author's book:
Geography of Clark County
The Indiana Territorial Assembly formed Clark County on February 3, 1801. It originally included the entire southeastern portion of what was to become the State of Indiana. The Territorial and State Assemblies later carved seventeen counties from Clark County. These are Crawford (1818), Decatur (1822), Fayette (1819), Floyd (1819), Franklin (1811), Harrison (1808), Jackson (1816), Jefferson (1811), Jennings (1817), Randolph (1818), Ripley (1816), Rush (1822), Scott (1820), Switzerland (1814), Union (1821), Washington (1814), and Wayne (1811).
Today Clark County, Indiana is composed of twelve townships. These are Bethlehem, Carr, Charlestown, Jeffersonville, Monroe, Oregon, Owen, Silver Creek, Union, Utica, Washington and Wood.
Incorporated Cities and Towns
Incorporated cities and towns in Clark County, Indiana include Borden, Charlestown, Clarksville, Jeffersonville, Sellersburg and Utica. Henryville is unincorporated, but a sizable town.
Transportation of Clark County
Clark County has an excellent network of highways and interstates crossing it. Interstate 65 connects the county to Kentucky to the south and Indianapolis to the north. I 265 circles Clarksville and Jeffersonville on the north side and connects with Interstate 64. I-64 runs through Louisville to the southeast and points east. The highway provides access to St. Louis in the west. U.S. Route 31 runs parallel to I-65. State Road 3 is a north/south corridor that connects with North Vernon in Jennings County. State Road 62 is an east/west connection to Madison to the northwest and Corydon to the west. Indiana State Road 160 runs northwest to Salem, Indiana in Washington County.
State Parks and Forests
There are two Indiana State Parks in Clark County, Falls of the Ohio and Charlestown State Park. A portion of Clark State Forest covers the northwest corner of the County and Deam Lake Recreation Park is near Henryville.
Clark County, Indiana is a fun place to visit. Visitors will find many historical and unusual things to see in Clark County
For more information about dining, lodging and shopping contact:

Clark-Floyd Counties Convention-Tourism
315 Southern Indiana Avenue
Jeffersonville, IN 47130

© Mossy Feet Books 2016

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - South East Edition
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums
 South East Edition
Jeffersonville, Indiana
County - Clark
Jeffersonville serves as the county seat for Jefferson County
Area 13.6 sq mi
Elevation - 446 ft
Population (2008) - 38,100
ZIP codes 47130,47131,and 47199
Area code - 812
A visit to Jeffersonville, Indiana will take you to one of Indiana's oldest cities.
Jeffersonville, Indiana has its roots in a fort that was constructed in 1786 across the river from Louisville, Kentucky. The fort was called Fort Finney and was located at the site of the Kennedy Bridge. The fort was built to protect the growing white population from depredations by the Indians, which still populated the area. The fort was renamed Fort Steuban in 1787 and maintained as a militia post until near the turn of the century.
Thomas Jefferson
A settlement had grown up around the fort. The name Jeffersonville came into use around 1801 or 1802. The town was platted on June 23, 1802 using a city design grid devised by Thomas Jefferson, and the town took its name from the President.
Civil War
During the American Civil War, Jeffersonville became an important strategic city. Since it is situated directly across from Louisville, Kentucky, it became a staging area for many Union troops going south to fight. The town was serviced by three railroads, and of course, it was directly on the Ohio River.
Boat Building Center
Jeffersonville, Indiana became an important boat-building center, stemming from beginnings in 1819 when the first boat building business located there. Steamboats became a very important product of the shipyards there, especially the Howard Shipyards, established in 1834. The company produced the LST landing vehicles during World War 2 and shipbuilding remains an important industry. The Howard Steamboat Museum is dedicated to the ship building industry in Jeffersonville.
A portion of Jeffersonville's downtown has been registered with the National Register of Historic Places, and the city is working towards restoring and maintaining its historic character. The downtown is populated with popular businesses along the Ohio River Waterfront. Bed and breakfast inns, restaurants, bars, retail stores and public places reside along the River. A visit to Jeffersonville, Indiana would create memories of the place forever.
For shopping, dining and lodging opportunities in Jeffersonville, contact:
Tourism Site for Clark and Floyd Counties

315 Southern Indiana Avenue
Jeffersonville, IN 47130

Indiana State Road 265
Indiana State Road 62
US Route 31
Interstate 65

Jeffersonville Parks

Allison Brook Park
Big4 Station
Connie Selmer Park
Forest Park
Gaither Park
Henry Lansden Park
Highland Dog Park
James T. Duffy’s Landing Park
John Wilcoxson Park
Kyle Vissing Park
Lottie Oglesby Park
Luther F. Warder Park
Meadows Park
Optimist Park
Pamela J. Inman Park
Poppy Park
Port Fulton Park
Preservation Park
Richard H. Colston Park
Richard Vissing Park
Richard B. Wathen Park
Robert A. “Bob” Hedge Park
Samuel G. Shannon Memorial Park
S Harlan Vogt Park
Steamboat Park
W.F. “Ted” Throckmorton Park

Community Garden at Allison Brook Park
Highland Dog Park
Jeffersonville Skate Park
Ohio River Greenway
Richard Vissing Park
Samuel G. Shannon Memorial Park
Shirley Hall Park – Football
Woehrle Athletic Complex

Charles Nachand Fieldhouse
Colston Cottage
Jeffersonville Aquatic Center
Jeffersonville Riverstage and Terrace Lawn
Ken Ellis Senior Center
Paul Northam Little League Lodge

Streams and Rivers
Ohio River

Big Four Pedestrian & Bicycle Bridge
Carnegie Center of Art & History
Culbertson Mansion
Derby Dinner Theater
Falls of the Ohio
Hidden Hill Nursery & Sculpture Garden
Howard Steamboat Museum
Huber’s Orchard, Winery & Vineyards
Joe Huber Family Farm & Restaurant
Schimpff’s Confectionery and Candy Museum
Aquatic Center
The RiverStage
Farmers’ Market
Jeff Main Street
City Hall
Suite 250
500 Quartermaster Court
Jeffersonville, IN 4730

 © Indiana Places 2016