This Day in Indiana History - August 31, 1928 - Canned Tomato Juice First Marketed by Kemp Brothers Canning Company of Kokomoe
Hotel by Chef Louis Perrin and headwaiter Dan Hughes at French Lick Springs in Orange County had developed the first tomato juice in 1917. After squeezing the tomatoes, the men discarded the pulp and seeds, then thickened the remaining juice.
Commercial canning had its start in Indiana when Gilbert C. Van Camp began canning fruits and vegetables in five-gallon tins in Indianapolis. In 1868, Van Camp began making smaller tins available. A local physician had requested that Kemp brothers develop a baby food that he could use to feed babies in his clinic in 1924. Canned tomato juice came out of this research four years later, on August 31, 1928.