|Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,|
Markers & Museums
South East Edition
By Tom Bosse, July 18, 2015
Erected 1821 by early settlers as a Methodist Church on land donated by John Ewbank. Services were held continuously for more than 125 years. Maintained by endowment fund.
Erected 1966 by Dearborn County Sesquicentennial Committee.
39° 11.327' N, 84° 54.244' W.
Marker is in Guilford, Indiana, in Dearborn County.
Marker is on Indiana Route 1 0.1 miles south of E. Fork Road, on the left when traveling north.
Marker is in this post office area: Guilford IN 47022, United States of America.
Parishioners used rock from nearby Tanner's Creek to construct this church in 1821. Members held services in the church for 125 years, until the 1940's. John Ewbank lived in the area and used the cemetery as a family plot. The Ewbank family donated the cemetery and the land for the church, thus visitors will find graves older than 1821. The marker is visible from Indiana State Road 1. To access the church go to East Fork Road and turn left, if coming from Lawrenceburg. The cemetery and graveyard are on the west side of the road. East Fork Road loops back to State Road 1, so turning around are not necessary.
Dearborn Historical Marker East Fork Stone Chapel