Emmigrants from Pennslyvannia led by Philip Doddridge migrated to the Wayne County area, arriving on April 8, 1814. The nineteen pioneers that arrived held a prayer meeting to give thanks for their safe arrival. The arrivals included nine adults and ten children, one of whom was born during the long, grueling wagon trip through the frontier.
Philip Doddridge (1737 - May 6, 1822)
The son of Joseph Doddridge and Mary Biggs, Phillip was native to Maryland. he married Mary Merricle Bickerstaff in 1767. The couple would have ten children. After arriving in Wayne County, Indiana the family established a farm. Phillip and his wife donated four acres of land to be used for the church and cemetary. Phillip was the first interred in the cemetary. The pioneers built a log church in 1816, which stood until they replaced it with a brick church in 1832. The congregation completed construction of the current church in 1876.
The National Register of Historic Places listed Doddridge Chapel on National Register of Historic Places September 28, 2003.