Monday, June 23, 2014

North Vernon, Indiana

Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - South East Edition
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums -
South East Edition
North Vernon, Indiana
County - Jennings
Area- 4.4 sq mi
Elevation 719 ft
Population (2000)
ZIP code 47265
Area code(s) 812
Brief History
The settlement which became North Vernon probably began in 1838 when the Madison & Indianapolis reached the site which became the town. A construction site morphed into a small settlement called Lick Skillet. Stone quarries and lumber mills were the primary industries. Stone from the quarries in the area were used to build many bridges and structures in the regoin. In 1853 - 1854 the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad Company extended it rails westward, creating a major rail crossing at the town which was now referred to as The Crossing. Hagarman Trip and Hiram Prather purchased a tract of land surrounding the rail crossing and platted the town of Tripton on June 24, 1854. The town held an incorporation election in 1867, changing its name to North Vernon.
North Vernon.
North Vernon became an important railroad town, becoming the third busiest rail crossing by the late 1800's.
Transportation
Two railroads serve the town of North Vernon. The Madison Railroad operates 28 miles of track connecting North Vernon and Madison, Indiana. CSX owns the east/west rail which was originally the B&O Railroad. In addition to the railroad, US 50 crosses the city, connecting it with Lawrenceburg, Indiana to the east and Vincennes, Indiana to the west. State Road 3 crosses US 50 as it forms an connecting link with Charlestown, Indiana to the south and Markle, Indiana to the north. State Road 7 also passes through the town, as it passes from Madison, Indiana on its way to Columbus, Indiana. Three miles to the north, the North Vernon Airport serves as an air hub for the city.
To access the attractions of North Vernon, Indiana, click this link.

© Indiana Places 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment