|A Year of Indiana History - 2016|
Voters of Haw Creek Township voted to establish a college in Hartsville on April 3, 1847 and commenced building the structure. The United Brethern Church had designs of establishing a college in the area when it heard of the new college. The voters transferred ownership of the college to the church in 1848. the church finished the structure. the Indiana Legislature chartered it as Hartsville College on January 12, 1850. The Assembly changed this designation to "University" on February 8, 1851. In March 5, 1883 they changed the designation back to college.. Central College in Huntington, Indiana absorbed the university on July 15, 1897. The building burned on July 15, 1897, possibly the result of arson.
Gideon B. Hart founded Hartsville in 1832. The town recieved a post office in 1838. Milton Wright, father of Orville and Wilbur Wright, served as the pastor of the Hartsville Church of the United Brethre from 1859 through 1869. He was the professor of theology at Hartsville College from 1868 througj 1869. During this time Orville and Wilbur attended Hartsville College.
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
© Paul Wonning