Greensburg's Courthouse Tower Tree
The tree first appeared in 1870. Shortly after its appearance, four more trees appeared. The city fathers feared that the trees would damage the roof and hired a steepljack in 1888 to remove all but two. One of these died, but the other grew to a height of about fifteen feet. This one died, but another grew in its place. Thus, there has been a continuous line of trees growing on the roof of the courthouse since 1870. Early on, the tree was identified as aspen, however an examination by Purdue foresters has determined the present one is a mulberry.
|Greensburg's Courthouse Tower Tree|
For more information, click this link.© Indiana Places 2016