|A Year of Indiana History - 2016|
Before the Randolph Seminary opened in 1842, the schools of Randolph County consisted of schools run by the Society of Friends or Subscription Schools.
During this era, parents that wanted their children to attend these schools paid a subscription for their children to attend. A typical price for the school was seventy-five cents per quarter. The schoolmaster might take his pay in wheat, corn or other commodity.
The Randolph County Seminary became one of the best schools of its type in the state.
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
© Paul Wonning