|A Year of Indiana History - 2016|
The first lots in Indianapolis went on sale in October 1821. Before the state capital took up residence in the growing city, the second newspaper in Indianapolis began publication on March 7, 1823.
Western Censor and Emigrants Guide
The Western Censor and Emigrants Guide's publishers were Douglas Maguire and Harvey Gregg. The weekly newspaper was decidedly political; the Whig party was the political party of choice. The newspaper opposed Democratic Presidential candidate Andrew Jackson. Gregg sold his interest in the newspaper in on October 29, 1924 to John Douglass. The newspaper continued publication under the name Western Censor and Emigrants Guide when the publishers changed the name to Indiana Journal on January 11, 1825.
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
© Paul Wonning