|A Year of Indiana History - 2016|
Seat - Shoals
Total - 340.41 sq miles
Population - 10,334
Congressional district - 8th
Time zone - Eastern:
Using portions of Daviess and Dubois Counties, the Indiana Assembly created Martin County by statute on January 17, 1820. The county organized on February 1, 1820. Shoals, on the East Fork of the White River, became the first county seat. Martin County derives its name from John T. Martin. Martin County has had more county seats than any other Indiana County. Shoals was the largest town in the county at the time. The stagecoach line that went from New Albany to Vincennes passed through the town. From Hindustan, the county seat moved first to Mount Pleasant, then to Trinity Springs and then to current county seat, Shoals.
John T. Martin (1770 - c.1822)
Martin commanded a company of Clark County Volunteers serving under General William Henry Harrison. His company served bravely at the Battle of Frenchtown (Battle of Raisin River) in the War of 1812. Captured by the British during the battle, Martin later received a promotion as lieutenant colonel in the 17th Kentucky Regiment.
Martin County Geography
Martin County is heavily forested and the United States Government as the Hoosier National Forest and the Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane Division owns most. Some prominent geological features include "Jug Rock," a jug-shaped rock seventy-six feet high, "The Pinnacle," a backbone extending out to White River's edge, at a height of 276 feet, ""House Rock," "Aquatic Rock," "Cedar Hill," and "Gormerly Bluff."
For general information about site seeing and things to do in Martin County, please contact by phone or email:
Martin County Chamber of Commerce
210 N. Line St.
P.O. Box 257
Loogootee, IN 47553
Visit Martin County
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
© Paul Wonning