|A Year of Indiana History - 2016|
When the Indiana Medical College at Laporte opened, the school provided the first professional medical training school within the boundaries of Indiana. Prior to the opening of this school the closest school for prospective doctors, to attend medical lectures was at the Medical Department of Transylvania University in Lexington, Kentucky.
Early Doctors in Indiana
Until 1842 most doctors in the Indiana were self-trained, or had served apprenticeships with other doctors. The rare doctor that had a medical degree had likely obtained it from a medical school east of the Allegheny Mountains. When the Legislature chartered Vincennes University in 1807 they had made provision for a medical school, but it had never materialized.
Indiana Medical College
Doctor Daniel Meeker hosted a series of lectures on the general practice of medicine at the College beginning in 1842. The College had one eight-week session, which began in March. A student needed two eight-week sessions to obtain a medical degree.
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
© Paul Wonning