|Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,|
Markers & Museums
South East Edition
Named for Stephen Decatur, Jr.
County Seat - Greensburg
Area - 373 sq mi
Population - (2000) 24,555
Decatur County was formed in 1822 from a large tract of land from the Indians from a treaty called the Treaty of St. Marys. This tract was acquired in 1819 and three years the county was formed and took its name from Barbary War and War of 1812 hero Stephen Decatur. In June of that year the County Seat was chosen and named.
Stephen Decatur (January 5, 1779 – March 22, 1820)
The son of naval hero Stephen Decatur, Sr. and Ann Pine Decatur, Stephen was native to Sinepuxent, Maryland. Introduced to the navy lifestyle by his naval officer father, Stephen joined the United State Navy in 1798. He would serve three Presidents. Decatur became the youngest to make the rank of captain. He would also a key role in developing the young United States Navy.
Shelby, Bartholomew, Jennings, Ripley, Franklin and Rush counties bound Decatur County.
Greensburg's most famous landmark is the tree found growing in the courthouse tower. For a history of this local landmark, click this link.
Visit Decatur County, Inc.
211 N Broadway St
Greensburg, IN 47240
Cities and towns of Decatur County are:
Interstate 74 bisects Decatur County, connecting it with Indianapolis and Cincinnati, Ohio. Indiana State Road 3 traverses the county on a north/south axis and connects North Vernon to the south with Rushville to the north. US 421 links Versailles to the south to Interstate 74, which the highway follows to Indianapolis. From the east Indiana State Road 46 connects Greensburg with Columbus, Indiana to the west.
© Indiana Places 2017