Hoosier Dusty Files - January 10, 1825 - Indiana General Assembly Holds First Session in Indianapolis
|A Year of Indiana History - 2016|
The first session of the Indiana General Assembly convened in the Marion County courthouse in the new State Capital of Indianapolis. The seat of government had moved from the first state capital of Corydon, where it had met since August 5, 1816.
Marion County Courthouse
The original Marion County Courthouse, built in 1824, served as the first home of the Indiana General Assembly in Indianapolis. This building featured eight statues that overlooked the courthouse property. When the building was razed, only these eight statues survived. Four are in Holiday Park along the White River in north central Indianapolis. Three of the statues are in Crown Hill Cemetery, the location of the Court House. In addition, one is out of state, possibly in California. The Courthouse was razed around 1876 when the City of Indianapolis built a new one. The Legislature used this building until the new capitol was built in 1834.
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
© Paul Wonning