|A Year of Colonial American Frontier History|
The Jewish congregation Shearith Israel had immigrated to New York in 1654 and been granted the right to establish a burial site on February 22, 1656. It would take until 1728 before they would gain the right to build their own synagogue.
The Jewish Congregation Shearith Israel was the only Jewish congregation in New York from the time of their arrival in 1654 until 1825. During the years 1654 until 1730, they met for worship in rented quarters. The congregation had petitioned the government on several occasions for permission to build a synagogue, always to be rebuffed. Finally, in 1728 the New York government relented and allowed them to build a house of worship. The congregation purchased land on lower Manhattan Island on Mill Street and began construction of the synagogue that they would consecrate in 1730.
A Year of Colonial American Frontier History
© Paul Wonning 2016