|Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,|
Markers & Museums
South East Edition
County - Clark
Area - 1.45 sq mi
Elevation - 443 ft
Population (2010) - 776
ZIP code - 47130
Area code(s) - 812
Located at the junction of Utica Pike and Old Salem Road, Utica hugs the north bank of the Ohio River. One of the oldest towns in Indiana, the town served as an important ferry link between Indiana and Kentucky.
James Noble Wood settled in Utica and platted the town in 1795. The original town had 220 lots. Wood operated a ferry in Utica, connecting the town with Kentucky across the Ohio River. The site, a few miles above the Falls of the Ohio, proved ideal, as the river was less dangerous here. The town grew, centered around the ferry. Stagecoaches, wagons and other travelers used the ferry to travel across the river.
James Noble Wood (December 26, 1768 - March 25, 1826)
Wood and his wife, Margaret Smith Woods, settled in the area north of the Ohio River around 1795. Wood established the town of Utica and a ferry business, the first in the area. He also became one of the first Territorial judges. Wood and his wife are interred at Hillcrest Cemetery in Utica.