Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Dillsboro, Indiana

Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums

South East Edition 
Dillsboro, Indiana
County - Dearborn
Township - Clay
Area - 1.0 sq mile
Elevation 869 ft.
Population (2000) Total - 1,436
Time zone - EST (UTC-5)
ZIP code 47018
Area code(s) 812
Dillsboro History
The building of a post road in the late 1820's created an ideal spot for a town to grow about an hour west of Cincinatti. Dillsboro was platted by Mathia Whetsone in 1830. The town was named after a local man, General James Dill who served in the War of 1812.
The post road was incorporated into the United States Federal Highway System in 1923 and became US 50, which passes just north of the town now, due to a bypass which was constructed in the 1950's. Indiana State Roads 62 and 262 pass through the town.
James Dill (c. 1778 - August 18, 1838)
The son of Thomas Dill and Rebecca Dill, James was native to Belfast, Ireland.  Dill migrated to the United States shortly after the Revolutionary War ended. After his arrival, he settled in the Northwest Territory and became friends with Indiana Territorial Governor William Henry Harrison and married former Northwest Territory Governor, General Arthur St. Clair's daughter Elizabeth St Clair . An attorney, Dill was one of the earliest members of the Dearborn County bar. Dill served during the War of 1812 as a general and after the war served as speaker of the Indiana Territorial Assembly.
General Dill was a part of the Indiana Constitutional Convention in 1816 in Corydon, Indiana, serving as Dearborn County's representative. Dill was Clerk of the Circuit Court at the time of Dillsboro's founding and was also the first Dearborn County Recorder.
Dillsboro Attractions
Dillsboro Community Park
Browning Recreation Camp
Dillsboro Post Office
Dillsboro Public Library
Heritage Point Park
© Indiana Places 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment