|Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,|
Markers & Museums
South East Edition
The town was laid out by Mathias Whetstone in 1830, and named for General James Dill, soldier in the War of 1812, first county recorder, a member of the Indiana 1816 Constitutional Convention, military associate and friend of Generals William Henry Harrison, Arthur St. Clair and Captain Samuel C. Vance.
Erected 1976 by Dearborn County Bicentennial Committee.
Location. 39° 1.162' N, 85° 3.662' W.
Marker is in Dillsboro, Indiana, in Dearborn County.
Marker is at the intersection of Front Street and Bank Street, on the left when traveling north on Front Street.
Located at the Town Office and Fire Station.
Marker is in this post office area: Dillsboro IN 47018, United States of America.
Early settlers to southeast Indiana settled along the Laughery Creek valley. Sometime in 1816, a group of settlers from Springfield, Ohio filtered into the area that became Dillsboro. Mathias Whetstone laid out Dillsboro on March 16, 1830. The plat included sixteen lots. William Williamson donated land for a log church, which became the Hopewell Presbyterian Church sometime around 1826. The cemetery remains, however the congregation moved to Dillsboro later on.
Mathias Whetstone (July 7, 1821 - ?)
The son of John and Susan (Ramer) Whetstone, Mathias was native to Cincinnati, Ohio. He married Nancy Parker on October 4, 1844. The author could find little additional information about Mr. Whetstone.