|Red House - Vincennes|
The first meeting of the Indiana Territorial Assembly in the Red House at Vincennes took place on July 29, 1805 during what historians call the second stage of Territorial government. The session would last until August 19. This ended the first stage of Territorial government.
First Stage Of Territorial Government
The first stage of territorial government lasted from the inception of the Indiana Territory on May 07, 1800 until July 29, 1805. During the first stage territorial government consisted of Governor Harrison and three Presidentially appointed judges. Historians are not certain where this assemblage met, but the main conjecture centers around the home of Francis Vigo. The population of the Northwest Territory at this time would have been around 12,000.
Second Stage Of Territorial Government
During the second stage the new General Assembly consisted of two houses, a seven to nine member House of Representives and a five member Legislative Council. The United States President appointed the members of the Legislative Council until 1809, when it became an elected body. The adult free white male inhabitants of the legislature elected the House of Representatives. The Assembly would use the Red House until December 19, 1811. The Assembly would meet sporadically after that at different locations. The last meeting in Vincennes, before the move to Corydon, on March 12, 1813 at Mark Barnett's tavern.