|Official Northwest Territory Seal|
|A Day in Indiana History - July|
The first know use of the Seal of the Northwest Territory was on a proclamation that Governor Arthur St. Clair issued on July 26, 1788. The seal includes a coiled snake, a felled tree, boats on the river and a heavily laden apple tree.
A Latin inscription reads, with the translation below:
“‘Meliorem lapsa locavit!’
“He has planted a better than the fallen.”
The outter inscription on the seal is:
"The Seal Of The Territoryn Of Of The Us Northwest Of The River Ohio"