Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Georgetown, Indiana

Georgetown, Indiana

Georgetown Geography
County - Floyd
Area - 2.07 sq mi
Land - 2.05 sq mi
Water - 0.02 sq mi
Population (2010) - 2,876
Time zone - EST (UTC-5)

Georgetown History
George Waltz, whom the town is named for, founded Georgetown in 1807 when he settled in the area from Pennslyvannia. The first settler, a man named Patrick Shields, arrived in 1805. Shields built a water powered sawmill at the site of the future village. George Waltz helped two blacksmiths get established in the growing village which still had no name. The farmers in the area found that the easiest way to transport their crops was to turn it into whiskey. A large number of stills appeared along the stream that ran through the developing village, so many that the stream's name was changed from Burton's Branch to Whiskey Run. By 1820 a general store opened and residents persuaded George Waltz, who owned land along Whiskey Run Road, to develop it into lots Whiskey Run Road is now Indiana State Road 64. It developed only along the north side of the road as the owner of the land on the south, John Evans, side was convinced that the new town would fail. Finally in 1833 he developed his land along the road.
A hotel opened in 1835 to serve the stage coach that ran through the town. Construction of a railroad occurred in the early 1880's.

Georgetown Highways
Indiana State Road 64
Interstate 64

Georgetown Railroads
Norfolk Southern


Georgetown Drive In Theater

Georgetown Streams

Georgetown Schools

Georgetown Restaurants

Floyd Memorial Medical Group Georgetown


Georgetown Shopping


Georgetown Post Office

Back To Floyd County, Indiana
Back to Cities and Towns

© Indiana Places 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment