|Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,|
Markers & Museums
South Central Edition
The Bartholomew County Historical Society held its first meeting on April 3, 1921. The Society used the First United Presbyterian Church as the site for its first meetings. The first president, George Pence, possessed a large collection of documents that dated back to the 1870's. This treasure trove of material has provided a valuable source for much of Bartholomew County's history. In 1926, the county officials granted the Society to meet in the basement of the court house. The Society met in the court house until 1966. In that year, the Society moved into its current building on Third Street.
The Museum and Genealogy Center
The Bartholomew County Historical Society, in addition to maintaining a museum, provides a number of resources for genealogists, researchers or history buffs. The Cline-Keller Library contains a multitude of historical documents available for your perusal. The Society also has an extensive digital image library in which many images are available for purchase or viewing. The Bartholomew County Historical Society also provides a multitude of educational outreach and public programs.
Bartholomew County Historical Society
524 Third Street
© Indiana Places 2016