Thursday, February 25, 2010

Schimpff's Confectionary - Jeffersonville, IN

Schimpff's Confectionery 
Schimpff's Confectionery
Schimpff's Confectionery 
A Visit to the Falls of the Ohio
History
Bavarian widow Magdalene Schimpff dispatched her twelve-year-old son, along with his uncle, to the United States to investigate possible places to settle. Louisville had a large German community, thus the family chose to settle there. The pregnant Magdalene, with her five children migrated to Louisville sometime before the Civil War. She and her daughters established an embroidery business, while the sons opened a confectionery store. One of Magdalena’s sons, Charles, opened a confectionery store across the Ohio
River in Jeffersonville around 1871. The store was successful for almost twenty years until Charles decided to close it.
Gustav A. Schimpff Sr. (1843–1918)
Gustav had worked at a local confectionery business, the C.G. Block & Company during this period. This business evolved into the Wurach & Bergreen Company. Schimpff bought a share of this company in 1871. This company closed in 1889 and Schimpff started working for the Frank A. Menne Company, another leading confectioner. After Charles closed his store in Jeffersonville, he urged Gustav to open one in Jeffersonville, as his had been quite successful. Thus on April 11, 1891 Gustav, along with his son, Gustav Jr., opened a confectionery store at the current location at 347 Spring Street. It is the only candy store in Indiana that has operated continuously for over 125 years.
Museum
Schimppf's Candy Store Museum
Schimppf's Candy Store Museum

In addition to the wonderful variety of candies made right in the store, the owners have on display in the store thousands of artifacts of American candy memorabilia. The collection has taken decades of work to acquire and display. Visitors will delight at the vast array of old time store displays, candy tins, dispensing machines and signage.
Products
Schimpff's Confectionary Candy Assortments
Schimpff's Confectionary Candy Assortments

The signature candy is the Cinnamon Red Hots, first made by Gustav in 1891. Customers can watch as workers make Modjeskas, hard fish candy and other sweet treats behind the counter.
Tours
Candy Making at Schimpff's Confectionery
Candy Making at Schimpff's Confectionery

Interested visitors can arrange for a tour of the store conducted by Jill Schimpff. She can accommodate up to forty people on the free tour, which includes a candy making demonstration and tour of the store. Although the store, Candy Demonstration Area, Chocolate Dipping Room, and Candy Museum are always open during normal store hours, the only way to guarantee that the candy making process is in operation is to book a tour in advance.
For more information, contact:
For more information, contact:
Schimpff's Confectionery
347 Spring Street
Jeffersonville, IN 47130
(812) 283-8367
http://www.schimpffs.com/history.html

© Indiana Places 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment