|A Year of Indiana History - 2016|
In 1882, horse-drawn vehicles still ruled the roads, but the automobile was just on the horizon. Harry G. Olds incorporated the Olds Wagon Works in 1882 with a capital investment of $100,000. He located his venture at Clinton and Murray streets in Fort Wayne. The building still exists, the site of a General Tire outlet.
Olds Wagon Works
The company held several wagon wheel patents and manufactured wheels that it claimed were three times stronger than other wheels. Its workforce grew to around 200 workers before the advent of the "horseless carriage" took its toll. The company folded in 1907, a victim of changing times and customer desires.
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
© Paul Wonning