|A Year of Indiana History - 2016|
The gas boom that began with the discovery of natural gas in central Indiana fueled the economy with new job creation. Glass factories require massive amounts of energy. When the gas boom began in the late Eighteenth Century, manufacturers began moving into the state. Hartford City, Indiana became a major beneficiary of this movement. Seventeen glass factories operated in or around Hartford city. The population had stood at 2,287 in 1890. It more than doubled to 5,912 by 1900. Hartford City began to think of itself as the "Glass Capital of the world. By the early Twentieth Century, the pockets of gas began to run out and by 1909, the gas boom was over. Many of the glass plants of Hartford City began to close. Many of the plants remained open and several more did open. The manager of the Johnson Glass Company, George T. Fulton, founded the Fulton Glass Company on December 26, 1929. The company would operate until fire destroyed the factory in 1966. A sister facility in Vincennes would operate until 1986; however the corporate headquarters remained in Hartford City.
A Year of Indiana History - 2016
© Paul Wonning