|Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,|
Markers & Museums
East Central Edition
In the early Twentieth Century, Richmond Indiana had one hospital, St. Stephen’s Hospital. This community had outgrown St. Stephen's ability to serve the community properly. The hospital had only ten beds and had to turn away dozens of patients each week. Native son, Daniel G. Reid, stepped in and financed a new hospital for Richmond.
Daniel G. Reid (August 1, 1858 – January 17, 1925)
The son of Daniel and Anna Dougan Reid, Daniel was native to Richmond, Indiana. After completing his education in the Richmond public schools, he worked as a messenger for the Second National Bank in Richmond. He soon rose to the position of teller, a post he held until 1895. He and another Richmond native, William B. Leeds, purchased the American Tin Plate Company in Elwood, Indiana. The men grew the company, acquiring more companies until he had combined all the tin plate companies in the country into his company. In 1902, J. P. Morgan purchased his company, combined it with U. S. Steel and made Reid the president. Morgan reportedly paid 18 million dollars for the American Tin Plate Company.