Williams Covered Bridge

Williams Covered Bridge

The Williams Covered Bridge double span Howe Truss structure has a length of 376 feet, or 402 feet if the 13-foot overhang at each end is included. It has a portal clearance 16 feet wide by 12 feet 6 inches high. The Williams Covered Bridge was built in 1884 by Joseph J. Daniels. The bridge receives its name from the nearby town of Williams which was named in honor of early settler Isaac Williams. The bridge was constructed in 1884.

The Williams Covered Bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981 and is listed as #14-47-02 in the 1989 World Guide. The Williams Covered Bridge was open to traffic until 2010 and was, at that time, the longest covered bridge in Indiana still open to traffic. The bridge allows the Huron and Williams Road to cross the East Fork of the White River below the Williams Dam. It is about eight miles southwest of Bedford and close to the Williams Dam Public Fishing Area.

Back to Lawrence County

© Indiana Places 2012