Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Oldenburg, Indiana

[googlemaps https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=oldenburg+indiana&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Oldenburg,+Franklin,+Indiana&gl=us&sqi=2&z=14&ll=39.339773,-85.204406&output=embed&w=425&h=350]
[caption id="attachment_2517" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Oldenburg, Indiana"]Oldenburg, Indiana[/caption]

Oldenburg, Indiana
County - Franklin
Township - Ray
Area Total - 0.4 sq mi
Elevation - 889 ft
Population - 647
Density - 1,554.2/sq mi
Time zone - Eastern
ZIP code - 47036
Area code - 812

Oldenburg was founded in the 1837 on land acquired by William George who was from Tazwell, Virginia. Tazwell acquired the land in 1817 when he filed for a deed in Brookville. William. Flaspholer and William Ronnebaum were the men who purchased the land from Tazwell and they platted a town which was to consist of sixteen blocks, with provisions for a park, marketplace, church, school and cemetery. The town was settled mostly of German Catholics from the Cincinnati area and it is proud of its German heritage and preserves it with old stone and brick structures, clapboard houses, tin facades and cornices and bilingual street signs. The combination of shops and residences attest to the Old World influence.

Oldenburg is nicknamed the "Village of Spires" because to the multitude of magnificent church steeples. 80 of the 115 homes were constructed before 1900 and the town was added to the National Register of Historic Place in 1983.

The town's main festival, Freudenfest, is a popular local event which takes place on the third weekend in July each year.The event began in 1977 and attracts thousands of people from the Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky area.




Oldenburg is home to the Oldenburg Academy of the Immaculate Conception, a Franciscan college prepatory coeducational high school. The Academy, as it is called locally, traces its beginnings to 1854.

Oldenburg is home to the Oldenburg Academy of the Immaculate Conception, a Franciscan college prepatory coeducational high school. The Academy, as it is called locally, traces its beginnings to to 1854.

Oldenburg Franciscan Center

Michaela Farm

For the attractions of Oldenburg, click this link.

Back to Cities and Towns

Back to Franklin County

© Indiana Places 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment