|Central House - Napoleon, Indiana|
Elevation - 965 feet
Population - Total 238
ZIP code - 47034
Area code - 812
On February 9, 1820 the town of Napoleon, Indiana was laid out by William Wilson from a 160 acre government land grant. Seven days later he started selling lots. Tne first 32 lots were purchased by George Craig of Vevay, Indiana. Craig went on to build the first Ripley County Court House in Versailles. He later represented Ripley and Switzerland Counties in the Indiana Senate from 1822 - 1824.
The Post Office was established on January 19, 1821, Willian Wilson serving as the first Postmaster. The Post Office is still in operation.
Napoleon was the second town established in in Ripley County, Versailles being the first. Napoleon became the center of travel for this area during the 1820 - 1850 period. The Michigan Road connected it with Madison on the Ohio River. Brownstown Road, which earlier had been known as Berry's Trace, emanated towards the west. There were also roads to Versailles and Vevay. In 1821, the town had a weekly horseback mail route to Vevay. There was also stage coach service on the route between Indianapolis and Cincinnati. Napoleon was home to several inns and other vital businesses. Napoleon, Indiana has become a quiet little town at the intersection of State Road 229 and US 421.
|Bonaparte's Retreat - Napoleon, IN|
Napoleon, Indiana businesses include a grocery store, a bank, restaurant, bar, gas station. There are three churches, a community center and volunteer fire department.