Friday, June 27, 2014

Jasper City Mill


Jasper City Mill 160 3rd Ave Jasper, IN 47546 (812) 482-4924

This newly built mill was completed in 2009 and is the third mill to occupy this site. Constructed to resemble the former mill that once stood near the Patoka River, this new structure is the latest addition to the "Old Jasper" district. Guests can tour the mill, watch the workings of the waterwheel and corn meal production and browse for souvenir items for purchase in the gift shop.

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Monastery Immaculate Conception


Monastery Immaculate Conception
802 E 10th St.
Ferdinand, IN 47532
812-367-1411





Castle on the Hill
The Monastery Imaculate Conception, nicknamed the "Castle on the Hill" provides santuary for the largest community of Benedictine women in the United States. Built in 1867, the recently restored eight-seven foot tall Romanesque dome is a key feature of the structure. There are also eighty-nine angels scattered around the church. Monastery Immaculate Conception is on the National Register of Historic Places and has been designated an Official Project of Save America's Treasures.
A gift shop, For Heavens Sake, sells handmade items crafted by the sisters and spiritual merchandise. Visitors seeking a peaceful getaway may visit the Kordes Center.

Guided Tour Hours:
Tuesday through Friday from 10:00 AM until 3:00 PM, on the hour. No noon tour.
Weekends - 1:00 PM through 3:00 PM, on the hour.
To schedule a group tour please call 800-968-4578.

Back To Ferdinand

© Indiana Places 2014

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Lemmons Church


Lemmons Church
7399 W Portersville Rd.
Otwell, IN 47564
812) 482-7941

Built in 1860 and restored in 1992, Lemmons was placed on the National Register of Historical Places on June 4, 1992. This Greek revival structure, built by the Cumberland Presbyterians, features its original pews and 14' ceilings. The adjacent cemetery became public in 1935 and is active. A detailed history and pictures are on display inside the church.

Back to Ireland © Indiana Places 2014

Ireland, Indiana


Ireland, Indiana
Lemmons Church

Back to Cities and Towns

Back To Dubois County.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

L.H. Sturm Hardware


L.H. Sturm Hardware
516 Main St.
Jasper, IN 47546
(812) 482-6506



Constructed in 1886, this building was purchased by the Sturm family in 1895 for operation as a hardware store. It stands today as one of the oldest hardware stores in Indiana that has continually been operated as a hardware store by the same family. In 2004, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. A staple on Jasper’s downtown square, L.H. Sturm Hardware gets its name from its founder, Louie Sturm, who opened the store in 1895.

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Monday, June 23, 2014

Loogootee, Indiana

Loogootee, Indiana

The name Loogootee is a combination of the names of a railroad engineer named Lowe, and Thomas Gootee, the original owner of the town site. Loogootee was founded in 1853, platted on the route of the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad. The town evolved into a major rail center for freight and livestock. During the late 1800's the area around Loogootee became a major clay producing area and the two kilns produced around 92,000 gallons of common stoneware annually, from 1870-1892. Sand from the White River became the raw material for a booming glass industry from 1902 until 1915.



       




Geography
Loogootee is at located at the intersection of US 150 and US 231.

Highways
US 50
US 150
US 231

Paul Wonning's Books on Amazon Page
Paul Wonning's Books on Smashwords Page
Paul Wonning's Books on Apple
Paul Wonning's Books on Kobo
Paul Wonning's Books on Barnes and Noble

Indiana State Road 550

Streams and Rivers
White River - East Fork

Railroads
CSX

For Loogootee dining, shopping and lodging information contact:
Loogootee Municipal Building
401 J.F.K. Ave.
Loogootee, Indiana  47553




Visit Mossy Feet Books's profile on Pinterest.
© Mossy Feet Books 2016



North Vernon, Indiana

Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - South East Edition
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums -
South East Edition
North Vernon, Indiana
County - Jennings
Area- 4.4 sq mi
Elevation 719 ft
Population (2000)
ZIP code 47265
Area code(s) 812
Brief History
The settlement which became North Vernon probably began in 1838 when the Madison & Indianapolis reached the site which became the town. A construction site morphed into a small settlement called Lick Skillet. Stone quarries and lumber mills were the primary industries. Stone from the quarries in the area were used to build many bridges and structures in the regoin. In 1853 - 1854 the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad Company extended it rails westward, creating a major rail crossing at the town which was now referred to as The Crossing. Hagarman Trip and Hiram Prather purchased a tract of land surrounding the rail crossing and platted the town of Tripton on June 24, 1854. The town held an incorporation election in 1867, changing its name to North Vernon.
North Vernon.
North Vernon became an important railroad town, becoming the third busiest rail crossing by the late 1800's.
Transportation
Two railroads serve the town of North Vernon. The Madison Railroad operates 28 miles of track connecting North Vernon and Madison, Indiana. CSX owns the east/west rail which was originally the B&O Railroad. In addition to the railroad, US 50 crosses the city, connecting it with Lawrenceburg, Indiana to the east and Vincennes, Indiana to the west. State Road 3 crosses US 50 as it forms an connecting link with Charlestown, Indiana to the south and Markle, Indiana to the north. State Road 7 also passes through the town, as it passes from Madison, Indiana on its way to Columbus, Indiana. Three miles to the north, the North Vernon Airport serves as an air hub for the city.
To access the attractions of North Vernon, Indiana, click this link.

© Indiana Places 2017

Jasper Downtown Shopping District


Jasper Downtown Shopping District Downtown, Jasper, IN 47546 (812) 482-6866

The Jasper Downtown Shopping District is filled with vitality, history and a variety of shops. Main Street and the area around the square provide an ideal background for great shopping and special festivities throughout the year. Relaxing and informative, the walking tour encompasses nearly two miles and includes visits to more than 20 of Jasper’s oldest sites.

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Friday, June 20, 2014

Huntingburg Old Town Hall


Huntingburg Old Town Hall 309 North Geiger Street Huntingburg, IN 47542 phone: (812) 683-5699



This 1887 Italianate structure features Victorian lighting, elongated windows, 14-inch brick walls, and the original tin ceiling. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Huntingburg Old Town Hall once served as a fire station and jail, and later as the focal point for the town’s social, cultural, and political events through the 1930s. After several decades, the building was renovated and, in full use today, now stands as a symbol of community pride.

Huntingburg

© Indiana Places 2014

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Huntingburg Museum


Huntingburg Museum
508 E 4th St
Huntingburg, IN 47542
(812) 683-2211



The Huntingburg Museum illustrates the life and times of the people of Huntingburg through pictures, artifacts, and other documentation. Included are various war memorabilia, a 1901 "Huntingburg Tour Car", items from "A League of Their Own", and the bed of Colonel Geiger, founder of Huntingburg.

Huntingburg

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Huntingburg Historic 4th Street


Huntingburg Historic 4th Street
US 231 and 4th St.
Huntingburg, IN 47542
(812) 683-5699



Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Huntingburg Historic 4th Street has been lovingly restored from destruction of a fire in 1889. It has the flavor of a charming Victorian downtown. The shopping district possesses more than two dozen locally owned antique and specialty shops and unique eateries. A of walking tour of the Huntingburg Historic 4th Street takes you back to the Nineteenth Century. Construction of the two-story Italianate and late Victorian commercial buildings took place at this time. The brick-paved sidewalks and 1800s façade provide a quaint setting for many special events throughout the year.

Huntingburg

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Ferdinand Historical Walking Tour

Ferdinand Historical Walking Tour

The one mile walking tour of Ferdinand, Indiana features over forty historic buildings with unique architectural features. Maps are available at the web site.
The buildings include:
St. Ferdinand Catholic Church (Built in 1848): 341 East 10th Street
St. Ferdinand Church Rectory (Built in 1897): 840 Maryland Street
Kindergarten Building (Built 1898): Maryland Street
Ferdinand National Bank (Built in 1865): 855 Maryland Street
Ferdinand Olinger House (Built in 1910): 202 E 7th Street
Richard Gehlhausen House (Built in 1910): 821 E 8th Street
Boeckman House (Built in 1905): 811 E 5th Street
Eiberg House (Built in 1870): 135 Main Street
William Boeckman House (now Harvest Moon) (Built in 1906): 210 Main Street
Olinger House (Built in 1906): 205 W. 3rd Street
Frank Heidet & Son (Founded in 1865, structure built in 1936): 325 Main Street
Barth House (now Tin Lizzie’s) (Built 1870): 430 Main Street
J. Herman Beckman House (Built in 1870): Corner of 6th and Main Street
Saalman-Haake House (Built in 1890): 123 W. 6th Street
Goepferich House (Could be older than the community itself): 605 Missouri Street
Beckman House (Built in 1900): 715 Main Street
Gohman Bldg/Indiana Hotel (Built in 1860): 835 Main Street
Hubert Quante Building (Built in 1897): Corner of 9th and Main Street
Kundek Monument (Built in 1988 by Ferdinand Historical Society): Corner of Kundek and Main Street
Beckman State Bank (now Universal Design) (Built in 1923): 910 Main & Kundek
Olinger Building (now Fleig’s Café) (Built 1908): 905 Main Street
Oasis (Built in 1909): 935 Main Street
Weaver-Backer House (Built in 1917): 955 Main Street
Dr. Alois Wollenmann House (Built in 1903): 1150 Main Street
Gehlhausen House (Built in 1895): 1305 Main Street
Joseph Linder House (now House of Flowers): 1325 Main Street
Sonderman House (Built in 1903): 1420 Main Street
Sonderman Store (now Antique Emporium) (Established 1893): 1440 Main Street
Harry Gehlhausen House (The White House) (Built 1870): 2060 Pine Drive
Weyer House (Built in 1905): 1415 Virginia Street
Hubert Beckman House (Built in 1912): 214 W 13th Street
Dr. Metzger House (Built 1910): 244 W 13th Street
John Hoffman House (Built in 1865): 1225 Virginia Street
Adam Jacobe House (Built in 1900): 1115 Virginia Street
Frank Muller House (Built around 1915): 945 Missouri Street
Ed Muller House (Built in 1916): 935 Missouri Street
Peter Muller House (Built in 1865): 314 W 9th Street
Leonard Muller House (Built in 1912): 123 W 9th Street
Vincent Metzger House (Built in 1880): 211 E. 11th Street
Chapel of our Sorrowful Mother (Built in 1877): 10th Street just south of the Monastery
Monastery Immaculate Conception (Built in 1886): 802 E 10th Street


Back To Ferdinand

© Indiana Places 2014

Monday, June 16, 2014

Dubois County Courthouse


http://www.duboiscountyin.org/history.html Dubois County Courthouse 1 Courthouse Square Jasper, IN 47546 (812) 481-7000



Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Courthouse is a Renaissance Revival-style building designed in 1910 and renovated in 1996. The original Courthouse was completely destroyed by fire in August 1839, and many of the historical county records were lost.

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Friday, June 13, 2014

Chain of Lakes State Park

Chain of Lakes State Park
2355 E. 75 South
Albion, Indiana   46701

Phone: 260-636-2654
Toll Free: 800-457-8283
Reservations: 260-636-2654




Canoe, Fish or Paddleboat at an Indiana State Park


Chain of Lakes State Park Overview
Beautiful lakes, fabulous camping and great hiking make Chain of Lakes State Park a great vacation getaway. This is one of the places in Indiana that offers relaxation as well as plenty to do. This 2718-acre State Park has over 212 acres of surface lake area and seven miles of shore line on nine interconnecting lakes.

Chain of Lakes
Nine interconnecting lakes at Chain of Lakes State Park create a paradise for boat lovers. Located in the midst of Indiana's lake country, the lakes connect via small channels that a canoe or kayak may pass through. The lakes combine for over two hundred surface acres and seven miles of shoreline.

Family Cabins
The cabins offer privacy and comfort with bedrooms, living areas, kitchens and bathroom facilities. The cabins do not have maid service so visitors must bring their own towels, bedding, plates and silverware. Full weekly rental only is available during the months of June, July, and August. During April, May, September and October cabins are available on a nightly basis. There are eighteen cabins with play area and play field nearby. There is also a boat dock on Long Lake near the cabins. Trail 6 gives cabin residents access to the other trails and other amenities of the park.

Glacial Esker Nature Preserve
This area, dedicated in 2012, preserves 212 acres of glacial esker. This type of terrain, glacial in origin, is a long line of sand and gravel mix that is a uniform shape.

Hiking Trails
The state park includes ten hiking trails that total over fourteen miles in length. The trails range in difficulty from rugged to easy and traverse a range of terrain from forest to open field to wetland.

Boat Rental
Park visitors may rent canoes, paddleboats and kayaks during the summer season.

Camping at the Park
Camping facilities include electric, non electric and primitive sites. There is a rally campground and youth camp ground suitable for group camping for kids.
Amenities at Chain of Lake State Park
Boat Launch Ramp
Boating / Elect. motor only
Nature Center/Interpretive Naturalist Services (Seasonal)
Shelters
Rental-Canoe, Paddleboat, Kayak and Rowboat. Canoe rental on weekends & holiday by the hour only.
Cross-County Skiing / No Ski Rental
Fishing / Ice Fishing
Hiking Trails
Swimming / Beach

Camping Information:
Electric / 331 sites
Non-Electric / 49 sites
Primitive / 33 sites
Rally Camp / 4 sites
Canoe Camp
Youth Tent Areas
Campground Reservationsct
Camp Store
Dumping Station
Back to Indiana State Parks

© Indiana Places 2014

McCormick's Creek State





McCormick's Creek State Park
250 McCormicks Creek Park Road
Spencer, Indiana   47460
Phone: 812-829-2235
Toll Free: 800-457-8283
Reservations: 812-829-2235



Overview of McCormick's Creek State Park
McCormicks Creek State Park is the first state park established in Indiana in 1916. It was one hundred years after Indiana received Statehood. That was also when the first area resident, John McCormick, homesteaded 100 acres on the site. The park includes almost two thousand acres of forest, campground, trails and fun. McCormick's Creek flows through a rugged limestone canyon, cascading over waterfalls and rapids. It flows into the nearby White River that borders the park on the west. Visitors may stay in Canyon Inn, one of the seven family cabins or in the campground.

Horse Back Riding at McCormick's Creek
McCormick’s Creek Stables 812) 829-8848
Visitors may rent horses at the Saddle barn, or bring their own horse to ride on the bridle trail. There are horse trail tours daily and periodic hayrides. Groups may rent a wagon for a private hayride.

Swimming Pool
The swimming pool and bathhouse is open to the public and has a concession stand with refreshments. It opens the Saturday before Memorial Day and closes no later than Labor Day.

Tennis Courts
Located behind Canyon Inn, the lighted tennis courts permit nighttime playing.

Family Cabins
There are seven family cabins at McCormick's Creek. The cabins offer privacy and comfort with bedrooms, living areas, kitchens and bathroom facilities. The cabins do not have maid service so visitors must bring their own towels, bedding, plates and silverware. Full weekly rental only is available during the months of June, July, and August. During April, May, September and October cabins are available on a nightly basis. Each cabin accommodates a maximum of six people. Each has a living area, bedroom, bathroom, screened-in porch and kitchen.

Hiking Trails at McCormick's Creek State Park
There are ten trails at the park, totaling 10.7 miles. Difficulty ranges from moderate to rugged and traverse multiple habitats. Trail 3 connects the campground and Inn to a wonderful hike along McCormick's Creek with a good view of the waterfall.

McCormick Creek Picnic Areas
The picnic areas have tables, grills, toilet facilities, playground equipment and playfields. There are seven open shelters and four recreation buildings.

Recreation Center
Located near Canyon Inn, the recreation center has racquetball, handball, basketball, volleyball and shuffleboard. There is also a game room.

Canyon Inn
451 McCormick Creek Park Road
P.O. Box 71
Spencer, Indiana 47460
812-829-4881
FAX: 812-829-1467
Reservations:
877-LODGES-1
877-563-4371
Seventy rooms of various sizes and prices to suit any need. Studio rooms have a microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker. Other rooms have private bath, telephone, coffee pot, hair dryer, TV and air conditioning. The 160 seat Canyon Inn Restaurant is open year round and features a glass-enclosed porch with a woodland view. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Periodic specials are available, especially during the winter. The inn’s outdoor pool is open to inn guests only. No pets are allowed in or around the pool. Guest and meeting rooms have wireless Internet service.

Camping at McCormick's Creek
The electric campsites have shower facilities, restrooms, hot water showers and a grill. Primitive campsites do not have showers, modern restrooms or electricity.
Electric / 189 sites
Primitive / 32 sites
Group Camping
Youth Tent Areas
Dumping Station
Camp Store

Group Camping
McCormick’s Creek State Park features two group camps, Camp McCormick and Camp NaWaKwa. Each camp contains four sleeping barracks, capacity 25 people each. The camp has a large capacity dining hall/kitchen. Each camp can accommodate 100 people. Both camps have a modern shower house located in the center.

Activities at McCormick's Creek State Park

Nature Center/Interpretive Naturalist Services
Picnicking/Shelters
(Shelter Reservations)
Hiking Trails
Saddle Barn & trail rides (812) 829-8848
McCormick's Creek saddle barn information
Tennis Courts
Recreation Buildings
Recreation Center
Swimming / Pool
Back to Indiana State Parks

© Indiana Places 2014

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Buffalo Trace Golf Course

Buffalo Trace Golf Course
1728 Jackson St
Jasper, IN 47546
(812) 482-4600

18-hole, par 71, public course.
5,985 yards
Challenging, lots of pines and other trees. Variety of doglegs and nice views of the lake. Elevation and dual tees (longs are concrete, shorts rubber). Course maps by 1st tee.
# Holes: 19
Target Type: Baskets
Tee Type: Concrete
Elevation: Rolling
Foliage: Woodsy
Course Length: 5,820ft
Alternate Length: 4,195ft
Hole Length: Under 300ft: 10 - 300 - 400ft: 7 - Over 400ft: 2
Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Indiana Baseball Hall of Fame


Indiana Baseball Hall of Fame
850 College Ave
Jasper, IN 47546
(812) 482-2262



Dedicated to the sport of baseball and its Indiana heroes, this museum showcases memorabilia from high school, collegiate, and professional athletes throughout the Hoosier State. Displays include a unique sampling of jerseys, gloves, bats and plaques significant to the history of Indiana baseball. This facility is located on the Vincennes University Jasper Campus.

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Alvin C. Ruxer Golf Course

Alvin C. Ruxer Golf Course - Driving Range
406 Clay St.
Jasper,   IN  47546
(812) 482-5554



The 9-hole "Alvin C. Ruxer" course at the Alvin C. Ruxer Park Municipal Golf Course facility in Jasper, Indiana features 1,795 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 31 .
Alvin C. Ruxer Golf Course was built in 1994 on land deeded to the city from the late entrepreneur Alvin C. Ruxer. It features four par fours and five par threes along with a lighted driving range and a large practice green area.

Alvin C. Ruxer Course
9 hole executive length course
Municipal golf course
29.0 rating
Golf Only facility
15 tees driving range
Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Monday, June 9, 2014

Clark County, Indiana

Clark County, Indiana
Clark County, Indiana
Clark County
County Seat - Jeffersonville
Largest city - Jeffersonville
Area - 584.7 sq mi
Population - 103,569 (2006)
Founded - 1801
Named for General George Rogers Clark
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - South East Edition
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums
 South East Edition



Floyd, Washington, Scott County and Jefferson Counties surround Clark County. The Ohio River forms its southern border.
Clark County, in southeastern Indiana derives its name from Revolutionary War Hero General George Rogers Clark who wrested control of the vast Northwest Territory from the British during the Revolutionary War. For these exploits Congress awarded General Clark and his regiment 150,000 acres of land. Clark designated around 1000 acres of this grant to create the town of Clarksville, also named after the General. Clarksville was the first settlement authorized by the United States Government in the Northwest Territory. 


George Rogers Clark
George Rogers Clark (November 19, 1752 – February 13, 1818)

John Clark and Ann Rogers Clark produced the second of their ten children on November 19, 1752. George Rogers Clark entered the world near Charlottesville, Virginia on the frontier. The family moved away from the frontier after the outbreak of the French and Indian War in 1754. Their new home was a 400-acre plantation that John Clark eventually increased to 2000 acres. His parents sent him to his grandfather's home so he could attend Donald Robertson's school. This famous school also educated James Madison and John Taylor, who attended at the same time as George Rogers Clark. His grandfather taught him how to survey land. At twenty, George joined a surveying team that traveled into Kentucky, which was part of Virginia at the time. The Treaty of Fort Stanwix had opened Kentucky to settlement and new settlers were flooding into the area. The Iroquois had signed the treaty had, but the various tribes that made up the rest of the area did not. British Lieutenant-Governor Henry Hamilton encouraged the Amerindian tribes to raid American settlements in Kentucky. Clark headed up defensive attacks against these tribes. In June 1778, he started a campaign to take the western British outposts along the Wabash and Mississippi Rivers. He saw success with his summer campaign. He captured all the British forts and eased the threats of attack on the Kentucky settlements.
Excerpted from the author's book:
Geography of Clark County
The Indiana Territorial Assembly formed Clark County on February 3, 1801. It originally included the entire southeastern portion of what was to become the State of Indiana. The Territorial and State Assemblies later carved seventeen counties from Clark County. These are Crawford (1818), Decatur (1822), Fayette (1819), Floyd (1819), Franklin (1811), Harrison (1808), Jackson (1816), Jefferson (1811), Jennings (1817), Randolph (1818), Ripley (1816), Rush (1822), Scott (1820), Switzerland (1814), Union (1821), Washington (1814), and Wayne (1811).
Townships
Today Clark County, Indiana is composed of twelve townships. These are Bethlehem, Carr, Charlestown, Jeffersonville, Monroe, Oregon, Owen, Silver Creek, Union, Utica, Washington and Wood.
Incorporated Cities and Towns
Incorporated cities and towns in Clark County, Indiana include Borden, Charlestown, Clarksville, Jeffersonville, Sellersburg and Utica. Henryville is unincorporated, but a sizable town.
Transportation of Clark County
Clark County has an excellent network of highways and interstates crossing it. Interstate 65 connects the county to Kentucky to the south and Indianapolis to the north. I 265 circles Clarksville and Jeffersonville on the north side and connects with Interstate 64. I-64 runs through Louisville to the southeast and points east. The highway provides access to St. Louis in the west. U.S. Route 31 runs parallel to I-65. State Road 3 is a north/south corridor that connects with North Vernon in Jennings County. State Road 62 is an east/west connection to Madison to the northwest and Corydon to the west. Indiana State Road 160 runs northwest to Salem, Indiana in Washington County.
State Parks and Forests
There are two Indiana State Parks in Clark County, Falls of the Ohio and Charlestown State Park. A portion of Clark State Forest covers the northwest corner of the County and Deam Lake Recreation Park is near Henryville.
Clark County, Indiana is a fun place to visit. Visitors will find many historical and unusual things to see in Clark County
For more information about dining, lodging and shopping contact:

Clark-Floyd Counties Convention-Tourism
315 Southern Indiana Avenue
Jeffersonville, IN 47130
812-282-6654
tourism@GoSoIN.com


© Mossy Feet Books 2016


Jeffersonville, Indiana


Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - South East Edition
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums
 South East Edition
Jeffersonville, Indiana
County - Clark
Jeffersonville serves as the county seat for Jefferson County
Area 13.6 sq mi
Elevation - 446 ft
Population (2008) - 38,100
ZIP codes 47130,47131,and 47199
Area code - 812
A visit to Jeffersonville, Indiana will take you to one of Indiana's oldest cities.
History
Jeffersonville
Jeffersonville, Indiana has its roots in a fort that was constructed in 1786 across the river from Louisville, Kentucky. The fort was called Fort Finney and was located at the site of the Kennedy Bridge. The fort was built to protect the growing white population from depredations by the Indians, which still populated the area. The fort was renamed Fort Steuban in 1787 and maintained as a militia post until near the turn of the century.
Thomas Jefferson
A settlement had grown up around the fort. The name Jeffersonville came into use around 1801 or 1802. The town was platted on June 23, 1802 using a city design grid devised by Thomas Jefferson, and the town took its name from the President.
Civil War
During the American Civil War, Jeffersonville became an important strategic city. Since it is situated directly across from Louisville, Kentucky, it became a staging area for many Union troops going south to fight. The town was serviced by three railroads, and of course, it was directly on the Ohio River.
Boat Building Center
Jeffersonville, Indiana became an important boat-building center, stemming from beginnings in 1819 when the first boat building business located there. Steamboats became a very important product of the shipyards there, especially the Howard Shipyards, established in 1834. The company produced the LST landing vehicles during World War 2 and shipbuilding remains an important industry. The Howard Steamboat Museum is dedicated to the ship building industry in Jeffersonville.
A portion of Jeffersonville's downtown has been registered with the National Register of Historic Places, and the city is working towards restoring and maintaining its historic character. The downtown is populated with popular businesses along the Ohio River Waterfront. Bed and breakfast inns, restaurants, bars, retail stores and public places reside along the River. A visit to Jeffersonville, Indiana would create memories of the place forever.
For shopping, dining and lodging opportunities in Jeffersonville, contact:
Tourism Site for Clark and Floyd Counties


315 Southern Indiana Avenue
Jeffersonville, IN 47130
812-282-6654
tourism@GoSoIN.com
http://gosoin.com


Highways
Indiana State Road 265
Indiana State Road 62
US Route 31
Interstate 65

Jeffersonville Parks

CITY PARKS
Allison Brook Park
Big4 Station
Connie Selmer Park
Forest Park
Gaither Park
Henry Lansden Park
Highland Dog Park
James T. Duffy’s Landing Park
John Wilcoxson Park
Kyle Vissing Park
Lottie Oglesby Park
Luther F. Warder Park
Meadows Park
Optimist Park
Pamela J. Inman Park
Poppy Park
Port Fulton Park
Preservation Park
Richard H. Colston Park
Richard Vissing Park
Richard B. Wathen Park
Robert A. “Bob” Hedge Park
Samuel G. Shannon Memorial Park
S Harlan Vogt Park
Steamboat Park
W.F. “Ted” Throckmorton Park

SPECIALTY PARKS
Community Garden at Allison Brook Park
Highland Dog Park
Jeffersonville Skate Park
Ohio River Greenway
Richard Vissing Park
Samuel G. Shannon Memorial Park
Shirley Hall Park – Football
Woehrle Athletic Complex

EVENT FACILITIES
Charles Nachand Fieldhouse
Colston Cottage
Jeffersonville Aquatic Center
Jeffersonville Riverstage and Terrace Lawn
Ken Ellis Senior Center
Paul Northam Little League Lodge

Streams and Rivers
Ohio River

Attractions
Big Four Pedestrian & Bicycle Bridge
Carnegie Center of Art & History
Culbertson Mansion
Derby Dinner Theater
Falls of the Ohio
Hidden Hill Nursery & Sculpture Garden
Howard Steamboat Museum
Huber’s Orchard, Winery & Vineyards
Joe Huber Family Farm & Restaurant
Schimpff’s Confectionery and Candy Museum
Aquatic Center
The RiverStage
Farmers’ Market
Jeff Main Street
City Hall
Suite 250
500 Quartermaster Court
Jeffersonville, IN 4730
 812-285-6400


 © Indiana Places 2016

Howard Steamboat Museum - Jeffersonville, IN

Howard Steamboat Museum - Jeffersonville, IN
Howard Steamboat Museum - Jeffersonville, IN
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,  Markers & Museums -  South East Edition
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums -
South East Edition
Jeffersonville, Indiana lies along the banks of the Ohio River in southern Indiana. The spot, first occupied by white settlers who constructed Fort Finney near the current location of the Kennedy Bridge in 1786, quickly grew into a settlement. Fort Finney protected the area from American Indian attacks. They renamed the fort in 1791 to Fort Steuben in honor of Baron von Steuben, a Prussian general who served at Inspector General during the Revolutionary War, whom most military historians consider one of the fathers of the Continental Army. By 1793, there was no further need for the fort and the military abandoned it, but the city grew on.
Howard Steamboat Museum
1101 East Market Street
Jeffersonville, IN 47130
(812) 283-3728

Howard Steamboat Museum
22 Room Romanesque Revival Mansion
The old Howard family residence, a 22-room Romanesque Revival mansion, serves as the home of the Howard Steam Boat Museum. James Howard began his career of building boats in 1834 in Jeffersonville, Indiana on the Ohio River by establishing a boatyard and constructed his first boat, the Hyperion. His company would occupy three generations of his family and last 107 years. He had his home constructed next to the shipyard and used the craftsmen that worked on his boats to build his home in 1894. The work of these master craftsmen is evident throughout the home.
Wood Carved Fireplace - Howard Steamboat Museum
Wood Carved Fireplace - Howard Steamboat Museum
Wood Carved Fireplace
Examples of Master Woodworking Craftsmanship
There are several examples of these exquisitely crafted wooden fireplaces, as well as other finely built wooden features throughout the home as it exhibits grand staircases, carved window moldings and period furniture.


Howard Steamboat Museum - Carved Wooden Desk
Howard Steamboat Museum - Carved Wooden Desk
James Howard's Desk
Organizing a Business in the Pre-Computer Age
This is James Howard's desk, custom-built to his needs by one of his expert woodworkers.
Delta Queen Paddlewheel - Howard Steamboat Museum
Delta Queen Paddle Wheel - Howard Steamboat Museum
Extensive Riverboat Artifacts Collection
Delta Queen Paddlewheel
The museum includes many old steamboat artifacts, including items from Robert E. Lee, the Natchez, the Howard-built J. M. White and the pictured original paddlewheel from the Delta Queen.
Thousands of photographs, shipbuilding tools and implements and many paintings compliment the collection, affording the visitor a sense of the scale and importance of these successful enterprises.
Extensive Model Boat Collection - Howard Steamboat Museum
Extensive Model Boat Collection - Howard Steamboat Museum
Extensive Model Boat Collection
Steamboats, Flatboats and Barges
The model boat collection comprises dozens of steamboats, but includes many other types of historic watercraft that plied the waters of the Ohio, Mississippi and other of the rivers of the American interior. Water transportation was essential in the early years of the country and the Ohio was one of the major arteries, carrying passengers and freight along its course. Many of our immigrant ancestors rode boats like these to their new homes.

End of an Era
U.S. Navy Purchase for LST Construction
The Howard Steamboat Museum represents an important cog in our nation's history. The Howard family's control of the shipyard ended in 1941 when the U.S. Navy purchased the yard in 1941 to construct LST's for use during World War II. The Howard legacy and their contributions to Indiana's rich history continues today.

© Paul Wonning 2016

George Rogers Clark Homesite - Clarksville, Indiana

George Rogers Clark Homesite - Clarksville, Indiana
George Rogers Clark Homesite - Clarksville, Indiana



A Visit to the Falls of the Ohio State Park
The seven-acre tract that forms the George Rogers Homesite is officially part of the Falls of the Ohio State Park. The site contains a reproduction of the cabin of General George Rogers Clark, a reproduction of the black slave family that were his servants, the McGees, a picnic area, boat ramp and historical markers. Though humble, this spot sits high in American history, as it is the staging area for one of the greatest adventures of the United States of America, the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
General George Rogers Clark
Revolutionary War Hero General George Rogers Clark settled on this beautiful spot overlooking the grand Ohio River. General Clark's fame came from his exploits during the winter of 1778 during which he captured the three British posts in the Illinois country, Vincennes, Cahokia and Kaskaskia. This courageous expedition, composed of 175 men, took these posts without firing a shot, thus securing what would become the Northwest Territory from the British. Congress carved six states from this immense territory; Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Ohio. General Clark borrowed the money to fund the expedition. The United States Government never properly compensated him for his exploits and he spent most of his last days dealing with financial difficulties.
Land Grant
For his services the State of Virginia awarded General Clark 150,000 acres, called the Clark Grant. This grant makes up most of current Clark County. Clark built a cabin and a grist mill on the spot occupied by the replica and lived there until 1809, when he had a stroke and fell into the fireplace, burning his leg. The leg needed amputation so he could no longer operate the mill. He moved to live with his brother-in-law in Kentucky, dying in 1818 after suffering another stroke.
General George Rogers Clark Cabin and His Servants the McGee’s
General George Rogers Clark Cabin and His Servants the McGee’s

General George Rogers Clark Cabin and His Servants the McGee’s
The cabin on this spot is not the original cabin. There are no known drawings of that cabin, destroyed in 1854. This one comes from Ripley County, Indiana near the town of Osgood. The State of Indiana moved it here in 2001,
The smaller cabin is also a replica of the cabin occupied by Clark's servants, the McGee’s. Technically slavery was illegal in the Northwest Territory so many slaves that lived there became free when the Northwest Ordinance became law. Many, lacking money to buy land, signed indentured servants agreements with their former masters. Their masters granted freedom and a tract of land to them as payment after a set period of servitude.
George Rogers Clark Homeside Interpretive Panels
George Rogers Clark Homeside Interpretive Panels

Interpretive Panels Describe the Gathering of the Corps of Discovery
William Clark, General Clark's younger brother, occupied the cabin with his brother. He kept up correspondence with President Thomas Jefferson, with whom both he and his brother George were friends. In 1803, he received a letter from the President requesting him to form up a company to explore the vast new acquisition, the Louisiana Territory that Jefferson had purchased from France in 1803. The cabin thus became a staging point for the Corps of Discovery. The expedition, now known as the Lewis and Clark Expedition, launched on the nearby river.
The Department of Natural Resources has erected several interpretative plaques outlining the beginnings of this voyage and the men that took part in it.

Overlooking the Majestic Ohio River
Visitors, during the time the park is open, can browse through the cabins and meander through the grounds. There are picnic tables allowing the visitor to gaze out over the waters of the Ohio River as they enjoy their lunch.
Beginning the Lewis and Clark Expedition
The area is ripe with history as the final home of an American Revolutionary War hero, sometimes called the "Conqueror of the Northwest" General George Rogers Clark and his famous brother William Clark, one of the leaders of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

George Rogers Clark Homesite
1102 W. Harrison Ave.
Clarksville, IN.

Trail of Faith - Indiana Historic Church Trail

The “Trail of Faith” church trail features a collection of the oldest historic churches in Dubois County . Dubois County is home to 19 churches that are over 100 years old and they are rich with history. The trail is approximately 85 miles long depending on the route you choose to take. Feel free to start and stop wherever you would like or pick and choose the churches you wish to visit.



List of Churches on the Trail of Faith Tour

Anderson Valley Christian Church (Built 1910)
St. Mary Catholic Church in Ireland (Built 1904)
Christian Church of Duff (Built 1911)
First Baptist Church (Built 1904)
Emmanuel Evangelical Lutheran Hill Church (Built in 1858)
Ireland Methodist Church (Built 1878)
Lemmons Church (Built in 1860)
Monastery Immaculate Conception (Built 1886)
Salem United Church of Christ (Built 1890)
Shiloh Church (Built 1849)
St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church (Built 1885)
St. Ferdinand Catholic Church (Built 1845-1848)
St. Henry Catholic Church (Built 1910)
St. James Lutheran Church (Built 1876)
St. Joseph Church (Built 1867-1880)
St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Huntingburg (Built 1886)
St. Paul’s United Church of Christ (Built 1869)
Maple Grove United Methodist Church (Built 1849)
Our Sorrowful Mother of Mt. Calvary Chapel (Built 1877)

For more information about the Trail of Faith Tour and its historic Indiana churches contact:
Dubois County Visitors Center & Tourism Commission
2704 Newton St. Jasper IN 47546
Toll Free 800.968.4578 Local 812.482.9115 Fax 812.481-2809
info@visitduboiscounty.com


Back to Dubois County

Friday, June 6, 2014

The Fruits and Flowers Trail

The Fruits and Flowers Trail
The Fruits and Flowers Trail includes orchards, gardens, farm markets and restaurants that celebrate local homegrown bounty. Visit each venue and pick up a local recipe to take home.
There's a unique recipe in each county! For more information, visit their website.

Dubois County
Fat & Sassy Dutch Apple Pie
Monastery Immaculate Conception Grotto, Ferdinand
Fat & Sassy Restaurant, Huntingburg

Knox County
Watermelon Salsa
Prairie Acres Restaurant and Farm Market, Oaktown
The Big Peach, Bruceville

Daviess County
Apple Dumplings
Etienne Farm Market, Washington
Wichman's Farm Market & Landscape, Washington

Martin County
Berry Pie
Lark Ranch, Loogootee
Stolls Lakeview Restaurant, Loogootee

Lawrence County
Persimmon Pudding
Applacres, Bedford
Spring Mill Inn, Mitchell

Gibson County
Zucchini Bread
Farmer's Daughter Restaurant and Bakery, Princeton
Berry's Produce & Country Market, Princeton

Pike County
Logs End Farms Meatloaf with Marmalade
Pike County Farmer's Market, Petersburg
Log Ends Farm Bed & Breakfast/Cattle Farm, Petersburg

Orange County
Butternut Squash Pie
Orange County Homegrown Farmers Markets, Orleans
French Lick Winery, West Baden Springs

Washington County
Cornbread
Cornucopia Farm, Scottsburg
Beck's Mill, Salem

Posey County
Peony Syrup
Fragrant Farms, New Harmony
Red Geranium Restaurant, New Harmony

Vanderburgh County
Cinnamon Applesauce
Mayse Farm Market, Evansville
Joe Engelbrecht's Fourth Generation Orchard, Evansville

Warrick County
Fresh Fruit Cobbler
Accent on Flowers Gifts & Antiques, Newburgh
Double D's Bar and Family Inn, Tennyson

Spencer County
Blackberry Wine Cake
Pepper's Ridge Winery, Rockport
Monkey Hollow Winery, St. Meinrad

Perry County
Cherry Wine Cupcakes
Winzerwald, Bristow
Carriage Inn, Tell City

Crawford County
Tomato Basil Vinaigrette with Sautéed Summer Squash
Blue River Café, Milltown
Lutz Nursery & Greenhouse, Sulphur

Harrison County
Pumpkin Bread
Deere Farms, Lanesville
Kiesler Farms, Palmyra

Clark County
Waldorf Salad
Huber Orchard, Winery and Distillery, Borden
Joe Huber Family Farm & Restaurant, Starlight
Cathedral Gardens, Henryville
Hidden Hill Nursery, Utica
Back To Dubois County.

Clarksville, Indiana

Colgate Clock - Clarksville, Indiana
Colgate Clock - Clarksville, Indiana
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites, Markers & Museums - South East Edition
Exploring Indiana's Historic Sites,
Markers & Museums
 South East Edition
Clarksville
County - Clark
Area - 10.2 sq mi
Elevation 456 ft
Population - (2010) Total 21,724
ZIP codes - 47129
Area code(s) - 812

History
Pre-History
Amerindian tribes set up camps near the site of the current city because of the proximity of the Buffalo Trace, a route used by the buffalo to cross the Ohio River on their way to the salt licks in northern Kentucky. The State of Kentucky has preserved this site in the guise of Big Bone Lick State Park.

Lewis and Clark Expedition - Clarksville, Indiana
Lewis and Clark Expedition - Clarksville, Indiana

George Rogers Clark and Clarksville
Clarksville, Indiana derives its name from Revolutionary War hero George Rogers Clark. He used the area in 1778 as a place to train his 175-man regiment for operations against the British at Vincennes, Kaskaskia and other British posts in what was to become the Northwest Territory in the new United States. After the war, Congress awarded George Rogers Clark 150,000 acres of land as payment for his services during the war in 1783. Known as the Clark Grant, this grant forms the nucleus of Clarksville and Clark County. 1,000 acres of this grant was set aside for the establishment of a town. A fort was constructed and a town grew up around it, the first American town established in the Northwest Territory.
A Visit to the Falls of the Ohio
A Visit to the Falls of the Ohio
Lewis and Clark Expedition
Because the town was the site where Meriwether Lewis and George Rogers Clark younger brother William shook hands and began organizing their now famous expedition, Clarksville lays a claim that it is where the expedition began.
The Indiana Canal Company
The Falls of the Ohio created a natural barrier to shipping on the Ohio River. This made Clarksville an ideal spot for a canal to bypass the falls and open the river to traffic from Pittsburg, Pennsylvania to New Orleans. Three attempts at building the canal, all of which failed, the first in 1805 with the creation of the Indiana Canal Company. The first effort failed, as did two later ones. A fourth attempt at Louisville, Kentucky succeeded. The loss of the canal and periodic flooding by the river made growth at Clarksville difficult. After World War II, the town began a period of growth that has continued to the present time.
Fossil Beds at Falls of the Ohio State Park - Clarksville, Indiana
Fossil Beds at Falls of the Ohio State Park - Clarksville, Indiana

Falls of the Ohio State Park
The Falls of the Ohio State Park is found in Clarksville. Visitors can view the Ohio River Fossil beds as they walk the exposed riverbed.

Highways
I-65
US Route 31

Waterways
Ohio River

Attractions
Clarksville Little Theatre
Parks
Falls of the Ohio State Park
OHIO RIVER GREENWAY
Ashland Park
Beechwood Park
Cedar Park
Colgate Park
Gaskell Park
Gateway Park
Lapping Park
Lewis and Clark Park
Little League Park
Parkwood Park
Ray Lawerence Park
Aquatic Park
Wooded View Golf Course
Endris Lodge
Little League Complex
Softball Complex
Community Center

Auto Tour
Indiana Historic Pathways - South Spur

For dining, shopping and lodging information visit:
Clarksville, Indiana
2000 Broadway
Clarksville, IN 47129
info@townofclarksville.com


Welcome To Clarksville, Indiana
2000 Broadway St, Suite 221
Clarksville, IN 47129
(812) 283-5313
info@clarksvilleparks.com



315 Southern Indiana Avenue
Jeffersonville, IN 47130
812-282-6654




Thursday, June 5, 2014

Dubois County Museum


Dubois County Museum 2704 N. Newton Street Jasper, Indiana 47546 812-634-7733



The Dubois County Museum’s collections consist of over 34,000 artifacts donated mainly by local people.

The museum’s collections strengths include historical portraits, photographs, and negatives; military artifacts; sports memorabilia; Native American artifacts; textiles and artifacts from the early 1800’s to the 1900’s; dollhouses and miniatures; a log house; antique farm equipment; woodworking tools; and products made by local factories.

The museum highlights the historical background of Dubois County and include exhibits on:
History Agriculture Military Woodworking Sports German Heritage

Back to Jasper

© Indiana Places 2014

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Dr. Ted's Musical Marvels

Dr. Ted's Musical Marvels
11896 South US 231
Dale, IN 47523
812-937-4250



Dr. Ted's Musical Marvels is a colossal collection of the most amazing mechanical musical instruments you will ever hear. This spectacular collection embodies pieces from the 1800's to the mid-1900's.

Back to Holland

Monday, June 2, 2014

Huntingburg, Indiana

Huntingburg, Indiana

County - Dubois
Area - Total - 5.27 sq mi (13.65 km2)
Land - 5.06 sq mi (13.11 km2)
Water - 0.21 sq mi (0.54 km2)
Elevation - 489 ft (149 m)
Population (2010) - 6,057
Time zone - EST (UTC-5)
ZIP code - 47542
Area code - 812


History:
A fire in 1889 destroyed most of the downtown.
Huntingburg, Indiana has become known as the "Hollywood of the Midwest." Three movies, "A League of Their Own" (1992), "Hard Rain" (1998), and the HBO film "Soul of the Game" (1996), were filmed in Huntingburg. Columbia Pictures built the grandstand at League Stadium that was to become part of the set for "A League of Their Own."
The Dubois County Dragons of the Heartland League used League Stadium as home from 1996–1998.  They were part of the Frontier League from 1999–2002. From 1996-2001, Huntingburg was the smallest city in the United States to host a professional baseball team. League Stadium stood unused after the Dragons franchise moved until the Bluff City Bombers of the Central Illinois Collegiate League moved to Huntingburg in 2005. The CICL has since merged into the Prospect League, which has teams, including the Dubois County Bombers, all over the Midwest.
Downtown Huntingburg has a host of small antique shops populating its downtown area.

Highways
 US 231
 Indiana State Road 64

 Railroads
 Norfolk Southern

Huntingburg Lodging

Huntingburg Shopping
Huntingburg Historic 4th Street
Huntingburg Museum
Huntingburg City Park
League Stadium
Huntingburg Old Town Hall
Charles C Niehaus Memorial Park
Huntingburg Lake
Jeffers Nature Preserve
Huntingburg Public Library
Huntingburg Restaurants
Huntingburg Lodging
Huntingburg Post Office Huntingburg Hospital and Medical


 Southside Park
Huntingburg City Pool
Southside Park

 Lodging Information

 Quality Inn 812-683-2334 or 1-800-228-5151
 Baymont Inn 812-937-700
 Days Inn 812-482-6000 or 1-800-742-7482
 Holiday Inn 812-482-5555 or 1-800-872-3176
Sleep Inn 812-481-2008 or 1-800-62-SLEEP